What’s wrong with Asetek?

lerodemmy

Why do I see a lot of people here say bad things about Asetek AIOs?  What’s the problem with them?

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

Just now, lerodemmy said:

Why do I see a lot of people here say bad things about Asetek AIOs?  What’s the problem with them?

They are one of the few options in watercooling, which makes them open for criticism, but at the end of the day it's one of the few options for AIOs.

I don't know what bad things people are saying about Asetek AIOs, but it could be to do with:

- Their patent: Asetek holds the patent to a pump in a CPU block, which means you either pay them to make an AIO or invent something yourself. This can be disliked

- The block size: Asetek blocks are made for the general consumer platforms (LGA 1200 and AM4 for example) and are unsuitable for CPU's with a large heatspreader, like Threadripper and Intel HEDT

- Some AIOs are worse than air cooling: certain air coolers are very good, while some AIOs are not that good. There is quite a bit of overlap between the worst AIOs and best air coolers, which you could see as 'hate on Asetek', but I just see it as one product being a better option than another.

Again, I don't know what bad things people say about Asetek, but it could have something to do with the above points.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Asetek is not bad at all. But they have not really been innovating because they had no reason to. They have their patent and with this patent were (mostly) the only choice in the market for a long time. Nowadays the best CPU liquid coolers are non-asetek designs. This is pretty much the same like with Intel being lazy and thus AMD overtaking them. The same is now happening with Asetek, as more and more different designs outperform it. For example the best performing AiOs currently are the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 series and the EK-AiO series, which both do not use custom, non-Asetek designs.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

The worst things about Asetek is that it's a monopoly and that it's water blocks are just one size that doesn't cover every platform.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566