Open Frame PC Case, a warning

Radium_Angel

I built a "cheap n cheerful" system for testing various stuff. Space was a tad limited, and rather than a regular case, I went with an Open Frame PC Case.

Specifically this one here:

61XU7CDUoYL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Tangxi-Motherboard-Computer-Aluminum-Dissipation/dp/B085HR8PVH/ref=pd_ybh_a_24?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J55WN279BAAJA333NJK5

Well, they go by a million different names, and pricetags, but as near as I could tell, they are all identical.

Anyway, a warning to anyone who might consider one, the assembly instructions are pure fiction.

In point of fact, you build the basic vertical structure where the mobo goes, the base, and the rest of the instructions can be thrown away because they bear no relation to how the system has to go together.

So if anyone is considering one of these, contact me and I'll help you avoid the mistakes I made.

Having said all of that, the machining of the black beams is very precise, the toolkit and screws are also very nice, the plexiglas is well protected and the tolerances for the screws (for the fans, for example) are spot on, but the connecting joints are a weak point, which is a shame because the whole system relies on them to hold the frame together.

If moving the system, support by the base, never tote around by the top bar (or handle, some are supplies with a handle) 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

So, the reason the black beams seem so precise?

They're standardized parts.  Aluminum Extrusions like those are used by toooons of things.  The only "custom" parts are potentially the PSU bracket, the PCI Slot Bracket, and some of the plastic bits.  (And even those may have been ripped off from other companies, pretty easily.)

Note:  Aluminum Extrusions are AWESOME and can be used to do soooo much crazy cool stuff.  If you're into building stuff, look into them!

10 minutes ago, tkitch said:

So, the reason the black beams seem so precise?

They're standardized parts.  Aluminum Extrusions like those are used by toooons of things.  The only "custom" parts are potentially the PSU bracket, the PCI Slot Bracket, and some of the plastic bits.  (And even those may have been ripped off from other companies, pretty easily.)

Note:  Aluminum Extrusions are AWESOME and can be used to do soooo much crazy cool stuff.  If you're into building stuff, look into them!

I didn't know this, very nice.

I do wish I could find better "L" bracket connectors, I'd feel better about moving it around, but the rest actually looks better in person than the pic(s) show.

Any ideas where I can find more of those aluminium extrusions? The case came with a ton of spare parts, which was a nice touch, so I'd be able to expand the case for not much money.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Google "Aluminum Extrusion Fasteners" 

You'll get lots of hits.  

You may need to do some measuring to figure out the sizes n such, but it's all out there and standardized.

Can confirm, aluminum extrusions are typically 80% aluminum 20% steel so they strike a good balance between strength and weight. They're often used because it's easy to quickly assemble and deassemble for RnD purposes (at least, that's what my robotics team used them for back in the day) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

11 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Can confirm, aluminum extrusions are typically 80% aluminum 20% steel so they strike a good balance between strength and weight. They're often used because it's easy to quickly assemble and deassemble for RnD purposes (at least, that's what my robotics team used them for back in the day) 

Have you seen them for sale in anything other than "natural" and black?

I'd love to get some white ones.

Anodized clear and black are seem to be the only colors that may be available if ordering in small quantities. You will mostly likely have to paint it yourself. It could be a fun building project. I ordered a bunch of aluminum extrusions and parts used for building my own case from AliExpress just yesterday. This stuff is useful as Lego and fun to build with. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

5 minutes ago, alyen said:

Anodized clear and black are seem to be the only colors that may be available if ordering in small quantities. You will mostly likely have to paint it yourself. It could be a fun building project. I ordered a bunch of aluminum extrusions and parts used for building my own case from AliExpress just yesterday. This stuff is useful as Lego and fun to build with. 

Thank you, care to give me an AE link so that I may see?

I've used them to build a 10x12 inch studio camera, a bedside table and other odds and ends. It's fantastic stuff. With the right brackets, it can hold literally tons. 

i seen philscomputerlab do a buikd in this and he hated it too.

i got a this for around a $100ish  at $160 probably dont recommend it. if you can find a thermaltake p3 for around $100ish that be better imo

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

There are lots of stores on AliExpress.com so it can be difficult and time consuming finding the best deals when you factor in coupons and other ways to get the best price. It took me a few days of planning to put items in my cart to prepare for the anniverary sale. And even doing daily coin activities to good get coupons ready.

Search for "2020 aluminum extrusion", "2020 corner bracket", "2020 t nut"...

You will eventually figure out what pieces are available and named.

Some stores seem to take long with deliveries especially if it's over seas and depending on what the item is.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

On 3/31/2021 at 3:19 AM, Radium_Angel said:

My suggestion is to find angle connections like this, for me it shows the best strength for angle and rigidity of the assembly, for the nuts you will have to measure the dept and the with of the channels but to me it looks like you can use the nuts that are already there just find suitable screws.