Kickstarter Backers voice concerns over Oculus and Facebook.

I think they will eventually add something. Why wouldn't they want to put some sort of Facebook thing on it? Your telling me Google bought all those robot companies and they are not going to put Google or use it for Google? But only time will tell I guess.....

Google refused Military Funding! Good move google we don't need more military tech... 

SOURCE: http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/21/5534090/google-rejects-darpa-funding-for-one-of-its-new-robotics-companies

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

not asking telling

just info about the subject

Doesn't surprise me at all someones going around posting that. *shrugs* 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Doesn't surprise me at all someones going around posting that. *shrugs* 

pretty sure its a bot team

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Such a shit move by Oculus and completely ignoring the initial investors

I will never get anything related to Google or facebook so this kicks all my VR needs in the face.

he should've layed his smartphone with a big Whatapp logo opened into the bin before he threw the oculus in. :D

who cares...

I think my big concern is that facebook will force Oculus to become something bland and more marketable to the masses.  They might want to lock down what is supposed to be an open platform.  Instead of regular driver updates to Star Citizen we will get regular updates to "Food Networks virtual cooking".  Zuckerberg did say that they are going to stay out of Oculus's way for the time being though, so hopefully it works out.  I think my biggest fear is that Oculus rift will come out later this year, be super awesome, then a buddy of mine will come over to my house and see it and say something like "hey I see you bought that new VR headset that Facebook made"...then I throw it away lol.

If I had millions of supporters and a bright future for the company I would not... :/

Millions? The niche community supporting it and hoping for it probably wouldn't of brought them 2 billion dollars in revenue anytime soon.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

This has gone way too far.

Its not even been a day. People just heard the news and then freaked out.

Wait for more news, and read the stuff that is out.

This should allow more investments into software, custom hardware, cheaper overall HMDs, more staff, larger/easier production and distribution.

Everyone has taken the news and in less than a day written off a company that has been building up its reputation for what, 2 ish years?

Facebook wont kill Oculus, its all the people over reacting and abandoning it that will harm it.

The dark side always looks tempting. When Anikan fell to the dark side, do you think people were like, "Hold on now, maybe it won't be that bad. Sure he will have more powers that he could use for good won't he?" :P

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I'd rather EA take over oculus than facebook, because at least they're a gaming company.

I don't want the branding of facebook or even the people working under facebook anywhere near the oculus.

As long as it's just a "we've purchased this company, and all workers on oculus remains the same, facebook will not interfere" I'll be happy.

If I see a facebook logo on oculus when it's released, I shall not be buying it.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

The dark side always looks tempting. When Anikan fell to the dark side, do you think people were like, "Hold on now, maybe it won't be that bad. Sure he will have more powers that he could use for good won't he?" :P

Well I mean, Palmer has already said this :P

Anakin went through some rough times, but he did bring balance to the force!

This ensures that virtual reality will come to fruition. It cannot be stopped by anything, and we will have a lot of crazy stuff to show off in the fairly near future. Have faith!

Which is weirdly very relevant, or you've already seen this post and that's why you used the Anakin analogy....

I just think we should wait. Don't write them of after we barely know anything. 

Let us see how the hardware changes, what the advantages/disadvantages are. We are a long way of a CV1 release date anyways.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Sign into facebook to play your favourite game.

It's going to happen.

Which is weirdly very relevant, or you've already seen this post and that's why you used the Anakin analogy....

Let us see how the hardware changes, what the advantages/disadvantages are. We are a long way of a CV1 release date anyways.

horrible example when you think that he spent the better part of 20 years (at least) terrorizing the entire universe and massacring people.

but you know, he made up for it in the end by killing that one dude... totally... all forgiven.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

"like & share" this post/ link/ video to proceed or else we would not move out of your face! Possible future of OR implementation! :|

I am sure the developers will have greater access to resources with their cash rich parent company and I don't mind at all if this acquisition is a part of a much larger plan of Mark but the above possible future is disheartening :(

Hoping for the best outcome!

All explain please why the OR would be a fail or anything is there aren't going to be any Facebook-things in it?

it could be the fact that they now have true shareholders other than people passionate about the product itself.

it could be that they are influenced to start creating games and features like microtransactions (which just about everyone thinks are bs)

it could just be a money ploy to pump the company and dump it when it doesnt do well

it could be the fact that the kickstarter backers felt that by supporting the company and buying their product, putting the world out and evangelizing it they wouldnt need to sell out to a larger company like this and lose what they felt like was a direct like to have their voice heard. Not to mention that they didnt tell any of their dev partners or backers about this deal before it happened.

it could be facebooks past record of changing their mind on their policies, making them uncertain about the promises they make saying they wouldnt change anything.

There are tons more i can think of but am too lazy to type, it pretty much all comes down to the fact they dont know anything right now and it scares them.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

it could be the fact that they now have true shareholders other than people passionate about the product itself.

it could be that they are influenced to start creating games and features like microtransactions (which just about everyone thinks are bs)

it could just be a money ploy to pump the company and dump it when it doesnt do well

it could be the fact that the kickstarter backers felt that by supporting the company and buying their product, putting the world out and evangelizing it they wouldnt need to sell out to a larger company like this and lose what they felt like was a direct like to have their voice heard. Not to mention that they didnt tell any of their dev partners or backers about this deal before it happened.

it could be facebooks past record of changing their mind on their policies, making them uncertain about the promises they make saying they wouldnt change anything.

There are tons more i can think of but am too lazy to type, it pretty much all comes down to the fact they dont know anything right now and it scares them.

Could be..

lol no I hadn't seen that. The analogy is kinda obvious though. I don't see FB making any changes on the first release. They will wait till they have dominant market share from devs (like DX) before they even think of changing anything. So rev1 will be fine. It's down the line I am worried about. This is why we need other companies to produce other VR headsets but ideally use a universal API for developing games.

This is all speculation, but based on the nature of all large corporations it makes sense. FB should screw with it once they have a monopoly. It means more profit for them. It just sucks for us.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

lol no I hadn't seen that. The analogy is kinda obvious though. I don't see FB making any changes on the first release. They will wait till they have dominant market share from devs (like DX) before they even think of changing anything. So rev1 will be fine. It's down the line I am worried about. This is why we need other companies to produce other VR headsets but ideally use a universal API for developing games.

This is all speculation but based on the nature of all large corporations but the thing is it makes sense. FB should do this screw with it once they have a monopoly. It means more profit for them. It just sucks for us.

Yeah, I can't see them messing about now.

Right now the target market is us, PC enthusiasts.

If they pull anything stupid, we will just wait for the next person to deliver it.

Once its into the main stream audience, the average consumer will care a lot less if its got facebook branding or such.

They gain nothing by changing it in its infancy, they need it to be popular, and the best way for that to happen is let Oculus do there thing.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Does anybody else remember in Star Trek first contact when they guy was building what would become the first ship that would travel faster than light speed and Picard comes in and helps in succeed?  I feel like Oculus is the ship, but instead of being helped out for the good it will do, Facebook buys it and paints a logo on it and charges us microtransactions to use it.

While there is the possibility of this being a good thing, it will likely not end well. Facebook is jumping head first into something they have no experience with having the idea that vr will be an instant success. Oculus should back out of the deal while they can.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

You're telling me if someone offered you TWO BILLION dollars for something you wouldn't sell it? Lol.

1.6 billion it's on Facebook stock that might quickly become worthless, so not really, just 400 million. And yes most people would do the same thing, but most people wouldn't whine for money on Kickstarter to use it as Mario uses Yoshi to jump off into success.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah, I can't see them messing about now.

Right now the target market is us, PC enthusiasts.

If they pull anything stupid, we will just wait for the next person to deliver it.

Once its into the main stream audience, the average consumer will care a lot less if its got facebook branding or such.

They gain nothing by changing it in its infancy, they need it to be popular, and the best way for that to happen is let Oculus do there thing.

Facebook gains and looses more active users in a week than all PC enthusiasts put together in a year or worst. Sorry but most of you claiming "is not that bad" are just in denial, they will change it into bullshit, no question about it (not that it wasn't bullshit to begin with, but at least was PC game related bullshit not farmville bullshit)

-------

Current Rig

-------

this is like EA purchasing Star Citizen. 

Although I do believe it could turn out for the worse, I don't think it is likely to happen.

Anyway, I lol'd hard at this.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

I can see it now, you want to zone out on someone or a group, party and instead log on to FB to play Oculus games. The next day, everyone is hating you for missing the event/person/group, why you ask? Everyone could see on your FB page you instead played Oculus games for 8 hours...

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Sorry but most of you claiming "is not that bad" are just in denial, they will change it into bullshit, no question about it (not that it wasn't bullshit to begin with, but at least was PC game related bullshit not farmville bullshit)

What are you basing this on though?

At this point its all just speculation that Fbook for some reason would spend 2 billion and then drive it into the ground with ads and other crap.

What do you really think will change with it?

Paralectic, on 26 Mar 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

I agree, if Facebook doesn't implent anything Facebook related functions or requirements in the OR it's all fine.

They will just finance the OR and help them developing the ultimate VR solution ( affordable ) and for everyone.

Ivyk, on 26 Mar 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

I don't understand why people are already hating on Oculus Rift, maybe this will improve the Rift a lot. We'll just have to wait for any changes.

This can only be seen as a bad thing, if oculus needed more funding for anything, the community would support them to keep them away from companies like facebook. Facebook will have integration and it could make every game just another Farmville. Facebook is taking the payments now, and facebook is one of the worst customer service companies ever created at it's size.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD