It Just Died in My Arms Tonight!

GenesisR41

This is what happens if you're using a potato power supply from a not so known brand. bought this power supply just 3 days ago to get a much stable power source for my pc. And so i played and benchmarked everything, I even stressed test everything and it works fine. Sadly it not my lucky gaming day tonight and when i plugged my rig i haven't even pressed the power button, it just went  sparking inside my tower. I immediately removed power connection and let the sparks settle down. I opened up my rig and the gpu part smells sh*t. I was like about to cry since this pc is also my rendering pc.

RIP Red Devil RX580 8gb My precious!
what do you think? is it the power supply? my UPS? or something faulty on the gpu itself?

for the meantime i'll be down to an athlon 200ge for my work, sad life.

164284108_553767569356088_7708170186971390343_n.jpg

164701184_1141051259694170_3630213617809150226_n.jpg

163916457_434804067743172_2452517454633277641_n.jpg

165206091_353914415928602_7571494683965076445_n.jpg

Could be a capacitor blow up

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

1 minute ago, tire said:

Could be a capacitor blow up

my room still smells burnt electronics... im currently checking the cpu and the motherboard.

Just now, GenesisR41 said:

my room still smells burnt electronics... im currently checking the cpu and the motherboard.

Ok good idea

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

Just now, tire said:

Ok good idea

im hoping atleast the cpu board and ram are not damaged

Just now, CrownieOG said:

that psu is better used as a doorstep, i suspect it over anything else for sure.

im using a borrowed corsair PSU for testing now

damn no post on screen nor any beeps, even the num lock keyboard light is not showing up. im gonna try and reset motherboard. *cross fingers

Normally I'd say this was a dead short, and something in the card itself was bad... That said, from what I understand, PSU's are not supposed to supply 12v power until the motherboard tells it to.... that shouldn't have happened unless you told the computer to turn on.

2 minutes ago, Sovek said:

Normally I'd say this was a dead short, and something in the card itself was bad... That said, from what I understand, PSU's are not supposed to supply 12v power until the motherboard tells it to.... that shouldn't have happened unless you told the computer to turn on.

i just plugged the ups to the wall outlet and the cpu just hissed and sparked. i haven't even press/turned on the tower

yeah, like I said, it shouldn't do that. Be this an important lesson, NEVER buy a less then reputable PSU, cause when it dies/fails, it often takes expensive components with it. 

I was lucky that my one obvious PSU failure didn't take the system with it, and it was with an Antec PSU back in the Athlon 64 days. Since then I've never bought a PSU that wasn't a bit higher on the quality. 

Just now, Sovek said:

yeah, like I said, it shouldn't do that. Be this an important lesson, NEVER buy a less then reputable PSU, cause when it dies/fails, it often takes expensive components with it. 

I was lucky that my one obvious PSU failure didn't take the system with it, and it was with an Antec PSU back in the Athlon 64 days. Since then I've never bought a PSU that wasn't a bit higher on the quality. 

yeah and it took a very precious part. Same gpu would cost me still 270Usd or 13000php for a used one.
i checked the mboard for any burnt components but everything seems ok.
well my board ram and cpu are fine. i was able to boot up the system with the integrated gpu.
atleast its much better at rendering compared to the athlon 200ge.

gpu shortages is a thing lately and prices are way up. maybe i'll catch a deal when everything settles down. for now ill just use my i7 cpu for rendering videos.

Colorful makes reference 3090 cards, same as Palit and PNY.  But I have no idea about the quality of their PSU's.  But I don't know if it was the PSU that caused this failure or not.  It doesn't sound like the PSU fried the components from your description.  Are you 100% sure the PSU itself failed?  

5 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Colorful makes reference 3090 cards, same as Palit and PNY.  But I have no idea about the quality of their PSU's.  But I don't know if it was the PSU that caused this failure or not.  It doesn't sound like the PSU fried the components from your description.  Are you 100% sure the PSU itself failed?  

im currently thinking 3 possibilities. im still in confusion at this time, but 3 cases would be the UPS, PSU, or the GPU itself.

i just checked how much is the same GPU, i got mine with 270usd (used) now its a whopping 560usd (used) i guess im messed up.

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

Well there are two reasons to suspect this is the case.

1. It did this while the system was OFF, As far as I'm aware, ATX PSU's don't supply 12v power while the system is off. 

2. The fire/damage is at the power delivery portion of the card.

1 hour ago, Sovek said:

Well there are two reasons to suspect this is the case.

1. It did this while the system was OFF, As far as I'm aware, ATX PSU's don't supply 12v power while the system is off. 

2. The fire/damage is at the power delivery portion of the card.

yes it burned while the tower is off. thats why i suspect more of the psu as well. but im doing further testing to investigate further.
so far im just making sure my mboard cpu and ram have no damage. then ill have the colorful psu further check at a computer center near me.
I'm just sad that of all the time that my components would break at a time that gpu's prices are high as F.

13 hours ago, Shlouski said:

It must have been something you said.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help it.

that made my day man even if it's a tragic moment. XD

Even a cheaper name brand psu like evga w1 would have been a MUCH better option.

If u look closely, you can see that memory burned. Vrm is intact. In my experience memory is usually powered through mobo power rail. Maybe mobo was faulty already and cheap PSU end it. But u can still sell card for 40$, VRM is still usable. 

2 hours ago, tomcer2003 said:

If u look closely, you can see that memory burned. Vrm is intact. In my experience memory is usually powered through mobo power rail. Maybe mobo was faulty already and cheap PSU end it. But u can still sell card for 40$, VRM is still usable. 

well thats something to look for... thanks for the suggestion. atleast there is a change i can salvage what i could.

8 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

Even a cheaper name brand psu like evga w1 would have been a MUCH better option.

seems like it... but i took the PSU due to the fact thats in the 80+ website. well..... what's done is done.

6 hours ago, GenesisR41 said:

seems like it... but i took the PSU due to the fact thats in the 80+ website. well..... what's done is done.

if you are going to go cheap, name brand cheap units usually at least have decent protection. 

22 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

if you are going to go cheap, name brand cheap units usually at least have decent protection. 

Yeah  i agree... lesson learned.