does anyone know how to burn a windows iso image to a usb

You need to use a VM or borrow a Windows computer if you want to use the media creation tool, last I tried it didn't run with Wine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You need to use a VM or borrow a Windows computer if you want to use the media creation tool, last I tried it didn't run with Wine.

Why would you need to use the media creation tool?

Do they not just provide an ISO download that you can write to a USB stick with Etcher (or something similar)?

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Lots of guides out there for this, like this guy https://itsfoss.com/bootable-windows-usb-linux/

The way that guide does it is extremely overcomplicated. Image-writing software (like Etcher mentioned above) will do the same thing automatically in just a few clicks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Do they not just provide an ISO download that you can write to a USB stick with Etcher (or something similar)?

Last time I tried doing that it wouldn't work, because Windows is just too special to use industry-wide tools that work fine for dozens and dozens of other OSes.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Yes, just download the ISO from MS (if you're not on Windows it'll show the ISO links instead of the media creation tool) and write with etcher (or Rpi imager, and others).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

sudo dd if='path to iso' of='path to usb' bs=4M status=progress

i've gotten isos from microsoft to make VMs so i figure if they're good enough for qemu they're good enough for dd. Also make sure your usb is unmounted before you do this.

4 hours ago, very cheesy boy said:

im using linux btw

okay so first what u need is download the media creation tool for windows 10 20H2, and then run it, download the .iso and choose how to use the .iso, the option is to use it on your computer directly or create an bootable media. ofc choose the bootable media one

-> Moved to Linux, macOS and Everything Not-Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

See this post -- lots of examples, the best of which is Ventoy, IMHO.

dd for 'buning.'  with Ventoy, all one needs to do is copy the ISO