Weird artefacts appearing on screen

Mikroskitty

So I recently bought a gpu (2070 super) second hand. I also had bought a few other components brand new such as a CPU (Ryzen 5 3600 and motherboard (asrock b450 steel legend).

At first I put everything together it was running fine. Then I played some rocket league and the pc froze (audio was still playing). Restarted the computer and things were fine then a few days later playing rocket league again it froze.

I reset and haven't had any problems until today when playing genshin impact and I got these weird artefacts across my screen. They appeared for only a second then we're gone. Genshin itself also simply crashed from that. Kept playing and again it happened. This time I turned off the computer and reseated the GPU. Turned it back on, later in the night was playing genshin for ages before the same thing happens again but this time it just stayed like this so I was able to take a picture. 

Sorry for the long explanation but just want to know what the heck is going on and if there is anything I can do to fix it. 

IMG_20210321_232021.jpg

IMG_20210321_232016.jpg

1 minute ago, Mikroskitty said:

So I recently bought a gpu (2070 super) second hand. I also had bought a few other components brand new such as a CPU (Ryzen 5 3600 and motherboard (asrock b450 steel legend).

At first I put everything together it was running fine. Then I played some rocket league and the pc froze (audio was still playing). Restarted the computer and things were fine then a few days later playing rocket league again it froze.

I reset and haven't had any problems until today when playing genshin impact and I got these weird artefacts across my screen. They appeared for only a second then we're gone. Genshin itself also simply crashed from that. Kept playing and again it happened. This time I turned off the computer and reseated the GPU. Turned it back on, later in the night was playing genshin for ages before the same thing happens again but this time it just stayed like this so I was able to take a picture. 

Sorry for the long explanation but just want to know what the heck is going on and if there is anything I can do to fix it. 

Looks like VRAM instability artifacts which usually occur when the card has been used for a long time which wouldn't be the case for a 2070 Super, or that it has been stressed or heated consistently for days such as the case for mining or it was simply just in non-ideal conditions inside a case, though it could also be that the owner received it defective like this.

Though it also might indicate that the VRAM frequency is too high, a miner could have flashed a custom BIOS on it, can you check what your GPU Core and VRAM frequencies are? regardless if there is a custom BIOS or not, you could try downclocking your GPU VRAM slightly if it has degraded.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

25 minutes ago, .Apex. said:

Looks like VRAM instability artifacts which usually occur when the card has been used for a long time which wouldn't be the case for a 2070 Super, or that it has been stressed or heated consistently for days such as the case for mining or it was simply just in non-ideal conditions inside a case, though it could also be that the owner received it defective like this.

Though it also might indicate that the VRAM frequency is too high, a miner could have flashed a custom BIOS on it, can you check what your GPU Core and VRAM frequencies are? regardless if there is a custom BIOS or not, you could try downclocking your GPU VRAM slightly if it has degraded.

I got msi afterburner and turned down mem clock from 7000 to 6800. I had genshin open, turned on my TV (4k Res) which is connected to my computer and the screen flashed artifacts then restarted.

While running genshin it says my gpu is at 1950 MHz steady. After computer restarting, had genshin open it did the artifacts and the memory changed back to 7000. Very strange. 

13 minutes ago, Mikroskitty said:

I got msi afterburner and turned down mem clock from 7000 to 6800. I had genshin open, turned on my TV (4k Res) which is connected to my computer and the screen flashed artifacts then restarted.

While running genshin it says my gpu is at 1950 MHz steady. After computer restarting, had genshin open it did the artifacts and the memory changed back to 7000. Very strange. 

After a restart it should revert back to stock speed unless you've made MSI Afterburner to apply your custom settings at startup, though 6800Mhz might not have been enough, try turning it down to 6000 and reduce your core clock speed as well to possibly 1850-1900, if it still causes artifacts then the VRAM or even the GPU die are most likely defective

10 minutes ago, .Apex. said:

After a restart it should revert back to stock speed unless you've made MSI Afterburner to apply your custom settings at startup, though 6800Mhz might not have been enough, try turning it down to 6000 and reduce your core clock speed as well to possibly 1850-1900, if it still causes artifacts then the VRAM or even the GPU die are most likely defective

It only let me reduce the mem clock by 502. Artifacts still came up and again the mem changed back to 7000. It was set to boot with windows last time so both times the mem MHz changed. 

50 minutes ago, Mikroskitty said:

It only let me reduce the mem clock by 502. Artifacts still came up and again the mem changed back to 7000. It was set to boot with windows last time so both times the mem MHz changed. 

Even if you keep MSI Afterburner open it would still refuse to reduce the memory clock? hm sounds like then there might be a custom BIOS

What's the model of your GPU? you could try the brand software instead for overclocking

1 minute ago, .Apex. said:

Even if you keep MSI Afterburner open it would still refuse to reduce the memory clock? hm sounds like then there might be a custom BIOS

What's the model of your GPU? you could try the brand software instead for overclocking

Or does reverting to stock memory clock only happen at reboot?

9 hours ago, .Apex. said:

It's an aorus gpu. It is reducing the memory clock but when the artifacts appear it is going back up to 7000. 

13 hours ago, Mikroskitty said:

It's an aorus gpu. It is reducing the memory clock but when the artifacts appear it is going back up to 7000. 

That's strange, I've never heard about incompatibility issues with a Gigabyte GPU and MSI Afterburner which makes me think It's either driver issues or a BIOS issue.

Try using DDU to completely uninstall all the GPU drivers on your system and reinstall the newest ones and try downclocking again, and while you're at it, download GPU-Z to get the BIOS version of your card and export the BIOS file and upload it here, and take a screenshot of GPU-Z's main window as well.

DDU:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

GPU-Z:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Saving the BIOS in GPU-Z:

GPUZ.jpg.bcbb17a8bd8c03ba03c7f40aceb77dbd.jpg

On 3/23/2021 at 12:56 AM, .Apex. said:

That's strange, I've never heard about incompatibility issues with a Gigabyte GPU and MSI Afterburner which makes me think It's either driver issues or a BIOS issue.

Try using DDU to completely uninstall all the GPU drivers on your system and reinstall the newest ones and try downclocking again, and while you're at it, download GPU-Z to get the BIOS version of your card and export the BIOS file and upload it here, and take a screenshot of GPU-Z's main window as well.

DDU:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

GPU-Z:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Saving the BIOS in GPU-Z:

GPUZ.jpg.bcbb17a8bd8c03ba03c7f40aceb77dbd.jpg

Well I used DDU and then stress tested afterwards and somehow its all working at least for now... I hope it stays that way. Thanks for the help!

9 hours ago, Mikroskitty said:

Well I used DDU and then stress tested afterwards and somehow its all working at least for now... I hope it stays that way. Thanks for the help!

You're welcome, I'm glad it's working!