Samsung considering skipping Galaxy Note in 2021

Excremental Upgrade

Summary

Bloomberg is reporting that Samsung "is ... considering skipping the introduction of a new Galaxy Note... this year", a move "geared toward streamlining its lineup". This is with the backdrop of the global silicon shortage, so it's not really clear whether they're just putting the Note on pause so they can focus on bigger-selling lines, or whether this is the Note line being unceremoniously bumped off.

Samsung, one of the world’s largest makers of chips and consumer electronics, expects the crunch to pose a problem to its business next quarter, co-Chief Executive Officer Koh Dong-jin said during an annual shareholders meeting in Seoul. The company is also considering skipping the introduction of a new Galaxy Note -- one of its best-selling models -- this year, though Koh said that was geared toward streamlining its lineup.

My thoughts

I'm super bummed about this. I'm still on my Note 9 and was hoping to upgrade to a 2021 Note later this year. Now I'm in limbo as I'll have to guess whether the Note is dead and I need to find a new "best for everything" device, or see if I can make it last to year 4 in the hope that there will be a new Note I can pick up as soon as it launches.

Sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-17/samsung-warns-of-serious-imbalance-in-the-chips-industry

not really news, it's been speculated by (people) that they might skip adding a new note this year, for months at this point. Personally I hope they don't do that, as the 888 would be great in a note. Having upgraded from the n21U to S21U I definitely am missing the S pen, and the poor excuse (s pen) they have available for s21 is just that. a total joke

tbh I'm not supprised. Its been speculated for a while that this would happen. 

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

This is probably because the Note is no longer the Titan Flagship in Samsung's lineup, being taken up by the Galaxy Z devices at this point 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Well, they may be shifting their lineup or whatnot. Still enough of the year to see what other new phones come.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

17 hours ago, Excremental Upgrade said:

Summary

Bloomberg is reporting that Samsung "is ... considering skipping the introduction of a new Galaxy Note... this year", a move "geared toward streamlining its lineup". This is with the backdrop of the global silicon shortage, so it's not really clear whether they're just putting the Note on pause so they can focus on bigger-selling lines, or whether this is the Note line being unceremoniously bumped off.

My thoughts

I'm super bummed about this. I'm still on my Note 9 and was hoping to upgrade to a 2021 Note later this year. Now I'm in limbo as I'll have to guess whether the Note is dead and I need to find a new "best for everything" device, or see if I can make it last to year 4 in the hope that there will be a new Note I can pick up as soon as it launches.

Sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-17/samsung-warns-of-serious-imbalance-in-the-chips-industry

I am as well but it would seem that they will release a Galaxy Note 2022. The S 2021 isn't selling so well and the public has responded that they do want the Note. The problem is that it would seem too late to start "making and designing" one from scratch starting now if they want to release this year.

I just honestly wish they would do it right next year by re-including the headphone jack, NOT removing the microSD support, make it a bit thicker to have a bigger battery (as well have software/setting improvements to improve battery health and usage similar to ROG 5) among other things....

I think you should hold on to that Note 9 unless there's something that makes it unusable....not 100% sure you should but just a suggestion.

Screenshot_20210318-081503.jpg

Screenshot_20210318-081437.jpg

Screenshot_20210317-163710.jpg

Source: XeeTechCare, TechTalkTV

On 3/18/2021 at 4:30 PM, EJMB said:

The S21 isn't selling so well

What? Literally no sources are claiming this, in fact all the news is thew opposite, how it's selling faster than the S20. 

On 3/18/2021 at 4:30 PM, EJMB said:

the public has responded that they do want the Note

Where? You are not the public, you can't just say what you want to be true and declare it fact.