Should i wait for intel i9-11900k and PCIe4 or not

HackitZ

Budget (including currency): canadian

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Ai, PS

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey peeps, ive been reading and i'm not sure what to do.

let me explain,

here's my current setup;

motherboard = ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
CPU = AMD RYZEN 9 3900X
CPU cooler = Asus ROG RYUJIN 240 RGB
Graphics = ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT
ram = G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB x 2
fans = Antec Prizm 120mm
case = NZXT H510i

M.2 = Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe4

i know my GPU is the main reason for my poor performance with AI and PS.

the system above replaced a 9 year old machine with an i7 2600k. only upgraded as i was afraid it was going to die and leave me in a bind. i went with AMD this time thinking i'd like it. my issue's above AI and PS are lags when it's idle for a minute(mouse does nothing, widows take a bit to respond if moving opening, and general lag). i had none of this with my i7. all drivers are updated, mouse is a Logitech and the usb adapter is plugged into the top of the case (less interference from other usb).

I'm regretting  not sticking with intel, part of the reason to go with AMD was to take advantage of PCIe 4.

now i'm looking to swap out the GPU, i already have a RTX 3060 with 12gb. motherboard and processor.

I'm torn between do i go with a i7-1700k or i9-1900k or wait for the i9-11900k with either an asus strix z590-e for both 10th and 11 versions of CPU's. 

or do i just go with an i7 1700k or i9-10900k with the asus z490-e.

i'm not worried about the cost, like my last system i'm hoping to have this for at least 5 to 8 years.

thanks for any and all critiques or comments.

4 minutes ago, HackitZ said:

now i'm looking to swap out the GPU, i already have a RTX 3060 with 12gb. motherboard and processor.

I'm torn between do i go with a i7-1700k or i9-1900k or wait for the i9-11900k with either an asus strix z590-e for both 10th and 11 versions of CPU's. 

or do i just go with an i7 1700k or i9-10900k with the asus z490-e.

i'm not worried about the cost, like my last system i'm hoping to have this for at least 5 to 8 years.

Leave it alone.

The problem you mentioned has a fix being released in April by AMD, plus the 10700K (8C/16T), 11700K (8C/16T), 10900K (8C/16T), and 11900K (8C/16T) have less cores and consume more power than your 3900X (12C/24T).

elephants

Did you clean install windows?

I haven't noticed any of those issues and I use a 3950X.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yeah clean install,

I've only ever had one other AMD setup. it was about 20 years ago. i know that's a long time ago, but the issues feel the same.

With that said, if i decide to move over to Intel, should i wait for the new i9-11900k or i7-1700k and z590 board, or go with the current i9-1090k or i7-10700k with z490 board?

4 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Leave it alone.

The problem you mentioned has a fix being released in April by AMD, plus the 10700K (8C/16T), 11700K (8C/16T), 10900K (8C/16T), and 11900K (8C/16T) have less cores and consume more power than your 3900X (12C/24T).

Although upgrading to an i9-10900k (actually 10C/20T) or an i9-11900k wouldn't be worth the expense, saying you wouldn't gain performance because they have less cores just isn't true. Both the of the i9's outperform the 3900x (mostly in gaming). But, in my opinion, it isn't worth the buy especially if you are pairing it with a 3070 which at most will see a marginal increase. 

4 minutes ago, PapaTDaddy said:

Both the of the i9's outperform the 3900x (mostly in gaming). But, in my opinion, it isn't worth the buy especially if you are pairing it with a 3070 which at most will see a marginal increase. 

Do you have an 11900K to test? 10900K I can understand, but 11900K?
Also, while it is possible they'll be outperformed we've already seen a taste of how hot Rocket Lake gets and how much power it draws.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Do you have an 11900K to test? 10900K I can understand, but 11900K?
Also, while it is possible they'll be outperformed we've already seen a taste of how hot Rocket Lake gets and how much power it draws.

Considering the fact it would make no sense to release a processor worse then the previous generation, I will go ahead and assume it is faster than the 10900k even by a percentage. Also, yes, it is more than likely true the 11900k runs hot and uses near 250w. I quit caring how much power my pc uses after about the $4000 point but that's just me. But in general the i9's run hot so it kinda comes with the territory. I'm also not here to argue which one is better as I made it clear upgrading wasn't a good investment. I'm just stating the information you conveyed isn't completely accurate. 

So i installed the RTX 3060 (boy this card is small) but have an issue using display surround, the task bar shows on the right screen, when i hit the windows button the popup shows on the left screen. I asked in the Nvidia forums and no replys, figured id ask here.

Has anyone else had an issue like this with dual monitors?

two AOC 27 inch 1440p 144hrz monitors

https://photos.app.goo.gl/564TCzjb96Vd9Kzy9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VxrbUYxmDHGMWFBb8

so i have uninstalled the nvidia software, i have moved the display port plugs around, restarted several times adding displays one at a time (rebooting with on then two). i always end up with the same issue of the task bar showing only on the right screen and when i hit the windows button the menu pops up on the left screen.

so frustrating.

also i have the monitor on the left in display port 1, monitor on the right is in display port 2. nvidia control panel shows display port 2 monitor as the primary. i have moved displays and changed primary monitors back and forth to only end up with the same issue.

one more thing, when i select surround displays i have to close any where from 3 to 7 apps before i can continue, once i force close them and set up the displays they look like one display for about 10 seconds. in this 10 seconds nvidia control panel is non responsive. once the app is usable i end up with this weird display issue i have.

man i so hate wasting time on issue's that should not be issue's.