MSI Advertises GE76 Raider Laptop As a Mining Machine

Lightwreather

Summary

In an official blog post MSI describes how it plans to use one of its latest gaming notebooks, the 17.3-inch GE76 Raider with Intel's Core i9-10980HK processor and Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3080 GPU inside, for mining for one month. To mine, MSI will use the NiceHash platform (see how to mine Ethereum) as well as the Excavator miner with the DaggerHashimoto algorithm.

MSI

Quotes

A surge in crypto mining interest has led not only to users seeking out the best mining GPUs, but since graphics cards are so hard to find in stock and the GPU price index for cards on eBay is just crazy, mining with laptops is becoming a thing.  In fact, we have even seen mining farms that only use notebooks. Now, MSI is trying to advertise its latest GE76 Raider notebook as a mobile mining machine. 

MSI admits that one of its top-of-the-range gaming notebooks is hardly the most cost-efficient mining option, but since it is hard to get a higher-end graphics card, miners may still want to try it. MSI claims that its GE76 Raider has a hash rate of around 52.8 MH/s, which is just a little below that of a desktop GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card. Assuming that the laptop consumes 240W of power and the cost of power is $0.12 per kWh, then the machine will bring about $134.08 in profits per month, according to CryptoCompare.

MSI does not talk about the long-term effects of using its laptop for mining and whether the components are built to endure years of 24/7 use. Yet, it sends a clear signal to to potential buyers that its gaming notebooks could be used for mining.

My thoughts

Well, seems like MSi might have just pulled an nvidia (yes, that's what I'm calling it) but honestly, who in their right mind would mine on a laptop with thermal and power limitations, which cannot be undervolted (there are the noobs). But either way this is just MSi trying to take advantage of the situation, tho it could mean that the silicon shortages are getting worse, which is something I'd rather not have. Whatever it is, Linus was right when he said at the beginning of last year that we should've bought our PCs.........(unless Linus is the one behind it all. Dun! Dun! Daaaaa!!!!!!..............................

Update: MSi deleted their blog post

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-laptop-mining-ge76-raider

https://www.msi.com/blog/mining-experiment-with-msi-gaming-laptop

https://www.techradar.com/news/msi-demonstrates-cryptomining-performance-on-new-rtx-3080-laptop-then-deletes-post

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Well, that's a surprise. Based on my experience with the cooling in MSI's laptops, I'd expect them to expressly recommend that you don't mine on their machines. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

20 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Well, that's a surprise. Based on my experience with the cooling in MSI's laptops, I'd expect them to expressly recommend that you don't mine on their machines. 

It's almost like they want to tell you that, sorry, thermal damage from mining is not covered by your warranty, but they'd love to give you 10% off of your next MSI gaming laptop.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

who in their right mind would mine on a laptop with thermal and power limitations, which cannot be undervolted

Isn't laptop undervolting fairly common? Or is there limitations I'm not aware of?

Also, mining might not be quite as bad as you might expect. The CPU is basically idle, and the GPU core is typically limited by a manually lowered power target. The question is if the VRAM is adequately cooled, which is sometimes a problem on desktop.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.