cleaning thermal paste...with perfume.

Go to solution Solved by Entropy.,
3 minutes ago, kawaiineko said:

i didn't spray the perfume directly on the cpu, i sprayed like one or two spritzes on the paper towel itself then wiped it with it, and then i made sure to completely dry it, all of this was only done on the protruding part of the cu (don't remember it's name rn)

It's probably called the IHS. It's the raised shiny metal part of the CPU right? If so then just maybe wait a few days for the water to completely dry or use a tiny amount of rubbing alcohol to get rid of the smell, and then wait a few days for it to completely dry off (even after drying it off with a paper towel or something). Then just pop it back into your system, paste it up, and reapply the cooler. 

just made an account specifically to test this, and i'd lie to start it with saying if you want to flame the hell out of me, do it, i deserve it.

now unto the issue, my pc kept shutting off abruptly, checked, cpu is too hot, checked that, thermal paste was so dry it flaked off into balls and was grainy. bought some thermal paste a friend recommended, also asked him how he could the old paste off, he told me he did it with perfume, smart me from 2 days ago didn't think to question this, i cleaned it off with perfume, then my brain started working, a quick google search showed that you're really not supposed to use perfume, what does smart me from 30 minutes ago do? get a paper towel, drip some water on it until it is barely wet, and then wipe off the cpu and heat sink until they dont smell like perfume anymore then wipe it with a dry paper towel just to make sure. now im wondering, did i just fuck up my pc?

There are some things you just don't post on the internet.

Apart from everything smelling, no, you're fine.

Use rubbing/isopropyl alcohol next time and stop asking that buddy for advice. If you do, google your question first.

Make sure the contacts are dry when you start it up (and any other parts.)

When I dont have alcohol I just use TP/cloth and some elbow grease for future reference.  Hell usually thats all I do lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

12 minutes ago, kawaiineko said:

just made an account specifically to test this, and i'd lie to start it with saying if you want to flame the hell out of me, do it, i deserve it.

now unto the issue, my pc kept shutting off abruptly, checked, cpu is too hot, checked that, thermal paste was so dry it flaked off into balls and was grainy. bought some thermal paste a friend recommended, also asked him how he could the old paste off, he told me he did it with perfume, smart me from 2 days ago didn't think to question this, i cleaned it off with perfume, then my brain started working, a quick google search showed that you're really not supposed to use perfume, what does smart me from 30 minutes ago do? get a paper towel, drip some water on it until it is barely wet, and then wipe off the cpu and heat sink until they dont smell like perfume anymore then wipe it with a dry paper towel just to make sure. now im wondering, did i just fuck up my pc?

Provided all you did is get perfume on the IHS of the cpu (the top part) you should be okay. If you did more than that, I'd either let the affected parts sit out for a few more hours or days or maybe take a very *very* slightly damp towel - with water or a small amount of rubbing alcohol- to them to clean the affected parts. Then I'd dry them off completely, and then let the components you wiped off sit for a few days, preferably more than a week. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

4 minutes ago, kawaiineko said:

Well, yes. Here's why:

1. Perfume has plenty of chemicals in it that should not be anywhere near a PC

2. Water can and will short out a board, period

3. What the hell were you thinking

4. I hope this is a troll

How to fix it:

1. Perfume: I have no idea. Let's go with prayer.

2. Water: literally set it up to dry and leave it alone for a week or more. Water does dry, but on something sensitive like a mobo, it takes a while to dry it right.

All I can think of for the perfume is isopropyl alcohol (which you should have used in the first place), but I'll let others with more experience spilling perfume on their motherboard step in here.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Provided all you did is get perfume on the IHS of the cpu (the top part) you should be okay. If you did more than that, I'd either let the affected parts sit out for a few more hours or days or maybe take a very *very* slightly damp towel - with water or a small amount of rubbing alcohol- to them to clean the affected parts. Then I'd dry them off completely, and then let the components you wiped off sit for a few days, preferably around a week. 

i didn't spray the perfume directly on the cpu, i sprayed like one or two spritzes on the paper towel itself then wiped it with it, and then i made sure to completely dry it, all of this was only done on the protruding part of the cu (don't remember it's name rn)

10 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

When I dont have alcohol I just use TP/cloth and some elbow grease for future reference.  Hell usually thats all I do lol

that's what i did at first! but some parts were so dry they wouldnt come off no matter how much elbow grease you applied, and that's when the perfume came in

3 minutes ago, kawaiineko said:

It's probably called the IHS. It's the raised shiny metal part of the CPU right? If so then just maybe wait a few days for the water to completely dry or use a tiny amount of rubbing alcohol to get rid of the smell, and then wait a few days for it to completely dry off (even after drying it off with a paper towel or something). Then just pop it back into your system, paste it up, and reapply the cooler. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

and as for the wet paper towel, it was 3 drops of water in a literal sense, it could be barely called wet, more like humid, and the smell of perfume is completely gone from the cpu

High end perfumes are mostly alcohol. 

However, all the other junk in it could be corrosive.  Clean well.