ryzen 9 5900x overheating and shutting down while opening 3dMark

frenk91
Go to solution Solved by Arcanekitten,

Run the pump @ 100% and modulate the noise via the fans, way more efficient.

Hello i have built my new system in january and everything works great! 

But now I'am facing a really odd issue, the pc work fine and i can work or game on it without issue, but if I open 3dMark I alwais got an overtemperature issue and the PC is shutting down.

The is occurs while opening the software, I'm not able to run any benchmark

While using the pc for lite task the cpu stays around ~40°C with coolant temp at 28°C, the temps are also fine while gaming or working i saw a max temp of ~60°C during an entire day of work and a couple of hour of Cyberpunk.

I also run on loop Cinebench in single core and all core, no error but the cpu reach ~80°C in multi core and the coolant temp never exceed 37°C

The motherboard is a Crosshair VIII dark hero, the cpu 5900x cooled with an EK quantum velocity with a 360 rad, the pump is a d5 running @40% of the speed all parts are brand new.

The thermal paste is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

The cpu is running with precision boost overdrive enabled with a negative curve of 30, I have olso enabled the dynamic oc switch thath kick off at 45A and bring the cpu to 4.7@1.3v for ccx1 and 4.55@1.3v for ccx2

As I said before everything is rock solid, I use the pc at least 15h a day without issue exept for 3dmark... 

When i first build the PC I was able to run 3dMark

I have changed only 2 things since then, I have updated the BIOS and changed the riser cable to one that support pcie gen4

I don't think that the issue is the riser cable, could it be the BIOS? or a bad CPU mount?

EDIT: I have remounted the cpu cooler and with pump @100% i got a peack temp of 76°C while opening 3dMark

IMG_20210311_182801 (Grandi).jpg

IMG_20210311_182808 (Grandi).jpg

Run the pump @ 100% and modulate the noise via the fans, way more efficient.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Interesting bug, I would try with those other settings off one at a time.  Sounds like when 3dmark is checking the system it goes max boost everything and at 40% pump speed it's just not enough cooling. The paste looks a little thick, not too crazy though but make sure your mounting pressure is good too. 

with the pump @100% the temps are way lower, while 3dMark is loading i saw a spike of 61°C for the hottest ccx, but the system is tool loud for me, with the pump @45% the temps spikes at around ~75°C and the system is dead silent. This is my first watercooled pc and i never thougth the the pump speed could couse such a issue.

Thanks guys 😁