Part time mining with 1080 ti is wierd...

GhostDK
On 3/11/2021 at 6:09 AM, GhostDK said:

i hope a mining ralated question is ok

First some background info

So i have an Asus Strix 1080 ti and i have been busy with school and life in general so i thought what the hell, and i got nicehash quickminer because why not. it mines daggerhashimoto which im under the impression is for ethereum. Now a few years ago, i heard alot about the GDDR5X in the 1080ti wasnt the best for ethereum due to GDDR5x being to fast or something like that. And i have heard about "ethlargement pill" should help with that and i am using it, it only works sometimes though..

Thats the background info, so the thing is all documentation online seem to indicate i should be able to get about 44mh/s with some overclock of the memory and keeping core clock +0. 

I usually run 65% power limit, +120 core clock +750 memery clock and got approx 36-37mh/s...

Today i looked at nicehash where it reportet that the memory controller was being utilized at 80%. Googling around i found that it should be closer to 100%... and alot of testing resulted in my currently running: power limit at 65%. Core clock + 120 and memery clock at -502 and then getting 100% memory controller utilization. and basically if i move the clock of memory at all according to GPU-z the memory load will begin to go under 100% and so on... And with that underclock of the memory and overclock of the core gives me around 39-40mh/s..... 

I hope my explanation makes sense... so then, can someone explain to me how overclocking works because with my experience as mentioned, i dont feel like whats happening is making ANY sense...

I'm currently using Zotac 1080Ti Mini , Cooling is horrible , Always top at 83℃ , OC a bit and Pill running background , getting around 42Mh/S .

OC : 75% ,Core +205, Mem +355

After reading some information online I noticed that Pascal card need to underclock the mem to get the best speed , but I'm satisfied with the results now so maybe when I free I will tweak it . Consider I was mining without the pill on for 3 month it was a huge jump . 

Disclaimer : I only mine at night as I sleep , I am a gamer at day. Who don't love free money after all 🙂

There are two ways to go about mining with the 1080Ti: either lower power limits, lower memory and raise core - as it has been mentioned above - or alternatively, raise everything to the max ( power limits, memory, core and voltage ). The first option will give you lower hasrate but a cooler/quieter PC and less electricity consumption. The second will give you better hashrate but more noise and electricity consumption so it depends on the situation you're in you have to consider the pros and cons. If electricity is free in the property and the PC is well ventilated/water-cooled I'd go with option 2, otherwise go with option one. The reason that memory is important is because when the power limit is lower than default - say 80% - setting the memory higher lowers the core clock and the core clock is the most important thing when mining with the 1080Ti. But when power limit is higher/max and voltage at +100 raising the memory has no effect on the core clock, only on stability. So it makes sense to raise memory to the highest possible stable level because it does improve mining performance a little ( but nowhere near as much as core clock does ). Also, if you under power the graphics card it's a good idea not to go under 70% on the limit  because then the core clock is affected to such an extend that the lower frequency is counterproductive to performance. I found that for my card  ( MSI Gaming ) 80% is the sweet spot but that might be different considering the model and or factory overclock. Most have seen the best results by setting the power limit to 70-80%

ETHlargement pill works but I found out that it gives me only about 30% gain - not 50% as some have claimed - It also depends on what's in the pool of the miner at any given time as well. 

If you find that the pill makes no difference then it's a good idea to try a different version of the software you're using to mine. Nicehash is claiming that their new version of their Quickminer has the memory timings embedded so you don't need to enable the pill but the fact that they don't offer a high profile means that I can't get the best of it. If you choose a manual profile you still have to change the timings yourself.