Part time mining with 1080 ti is wierd...

GhostDK

i hope a mining ralated question is ok

First some background info

So i have an Asus Strix 1080 ti and i have been busy with school and life in general so i thought what the hell, and i got nicehash quickminer because why not. it mines daggerhashimoto which im under the impression is for ethereum. Now a few years ago, i heard alot about the GDDR5X in the 1080ti wasnt the best for ethereum due to GDDR5x being to fast or something like that. And i have heard about "ethlargement pill" should help with that and i am using it, it only works sometimes though..

Thats the background info, so the thing is all documentation online seem to indicate i should be able to get about 44mh/s with some overclock of the memory and keeping core clock +0. 

I usually run 65% power limit, +120 core clock +750 memery clock and got approx 36-37mh/s...

Today i looked at nicehash where it reportet that the memory controller was being utilized at 80%. Googling around i found that it should be closer to 100%... and alot of testing resulted in my currently running: power limit at 65%. Core clock + 120 and memery clock at -502 and then getting 100% memory controller utilization. and basically if i move the clock of memory at all according to GPU-z the memory load will begin to go under 100% and so on... And with that underclock of the memory and overclock of the core gives me around 39-40mh/s..... 

I hope my explanation makes sense... so then, can someone explain to me how overclocking works because with my experience as mentioned, i dont feel like whats happening is making ANY sense...

Have you tried raising power limit?

Power limit can affect hashrate if gone too low

Find the spot where it starts dropping off and use that

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Same here for me 1080 Ti FE. I also need to underclock memory and overclock core for the best performance with power limit at 75%, +215 core and -475 mem to get memory controller usage to 100% and the highest hashrate at around 38 MH/s. From what I've gathered it's due to how it uses VRAM. The pill has a noticeable effect for me. If I don't run it I get only 30 MH/s or so.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

7 hours ago, tikker said:

Same here for me 1080 Ti FE. I also need to underclock memory and overclock core for the best performance with power limit at 75%, +215 core and -475 mem to get memory controller usage to 100% and the highest hashrate at around 38 MH/s. From what I've gathered it's due to how it uses VRAM. The pill has a noticeable effect for me. If I don't run it I get only 30 MH/s or so.

On that... how are one supposed to to get the pill to work. As im wirint this i have 65% +120 core and -300 mem, and i get about 39-40mh/s but i also just shut the pill down. nothing changed. i have added the pill as an exclusion on antivirus an all, but it doesnt seem to be doing anything. Not even if i raise power limit

3 hours ago, GhostDK said:

On that... how are one supposed to to get the pill to work. As im wirint this i have 65% +120 core and -300 mem, and i get about 39-40mh/s but i also just shut the pill down. nothing changed. i have added the pill as an exclusion on antivirus an all, but it doesnt seem to be doing anything. Not even if i raise power limit

Not sure. At first I was under the impression it didn't work for me either, but after checking yesterday there's a significant difference with and without. It's just running, I didn't do anything special.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, GhostDK said:

I can get ~41 MH/s currently with 85% PL, +250 core, -400 mem and the pill, using phoenixminer with -straps 2 (but not sure if straps does anything more when running the pill). Other than that Nvidia has said it's a hardware problem with the cards itself, so we'll have to live with it unfortunately: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/blockchain-drivers/110847/12

We’ve confirmed that the performance drop is due to the size of the DAG exceeding the total on-chip TLB capacity on the Pascal GPU. As a result, there is an increased number of TLB misses, which affects performance. Because the TLB is a fixed capacity hardware resource, and the ETH algorithm accesses the DAG randomly, we don’t believe there are any software optimizations that could reduce the TLB miss rate.

In the Volta generation, TLB coverage was increased by 4x, and large DAG sizes (up to ~8GB, which won’t be reached for many years) will still fit in the on-chip TLB. So these newer GPUs (Volta and beyond) will show much less performance sensitivity due to DAG size.

Thanks for this info, was helpfull, but that ethpill, is it anywhere to DL, can't really find anything thrust worthy.

I went from 23-24 m/hs to now just over 32 with my Strix 1080ti
Pwr 70%
Core 250
Mem -502
Fan 60% 
Gpu 64c

I also kept an eye on total board power consumption and saw it drop as I turned up the core which I found interesting. Now showing around 174w board power draw...

It would seem the most important thing for higher mh/s for me atleast depends on the memory controller load. And trying to get mem clock as high i can without the controller load as seen in GPU-Z going under 100%-98%. After some tinkering i currently get 100-98% mem controller load, with gpu set to 70%, 110 core and -250 memory. And i get about 40-41mh/s... if any change to the overclock changes the memory controller load, i drop mh/s sooo... pill still doing nothing. So yeah,  honestly i still find it wierd

That's weird but at the same time you're only a few mh/s off the peak for your card so I wouldn't worry. I am interested in someone explaining the mechanism behind what you are seeing though.

11 hours ago, GhostDK said:

It would seem the most important thing for higher mh/s for me atleast depends on the memory controller load. And trying to get mem clock as high i can without the controller load as seen in GPU-Z going under 100%-98%. After some tinkering i currently get 100-98% mem controller load, with gpu set to 70%, 110 core and -250 memory. And i get about 40-41mh/s... if any change to the overclock changes the memory controller load, i drop mh/s sooo... pill still doing nothing. So yeah,  honestly i still find it wierd

Hmm interesting, I only got 32mhs out of mine atm, maybe I'll try copy paste your stuff and see. 

Also are you using the quick miner or the other one? I couldn't find much about the pill and quick miner. 

Also what does your power consumption look? 

7 hours ago, Ztaal3 said:

Hmm interesting, I only got 32mhs out of mine atm, maybe I'll try copy paste your stuff and see. 

Also are you using the quick miner or the other one? I couldn't find much about the pill and quick miner. 

Also what does your power consumption look? 

i do use quickminer. And the Ethlarghemtpill i found as a seperate download and am running beside quickminer. But even with nicehash miner and the advanced "enable pill" option or whatever its called, it still does not seem to do a thing. And my power consumption it being reportet both in the excavator from nicehash and GPU-z at around 175 watt for the card. Effieciency as reportet in excavator is about 234,13 kh/j which idk if that is good efficiency or not

4 hours ago, GhostDK said:

i do use quickminer. And the Ethlarghemtpill i found as a seperate download and am running beside quickminer. But even with nicehash miner and the advanced "enable pill" option or whatever its called, it still does not seem to do a thing. And my power consumption it being reportet both in the excavator from nicehash and GPU-z at around 175 watt for the card. Effieciency as reportet in excavator is about 234,13 kh/j which idk if that is good efficiency or not

Yeah I'm new to all myself, so don't know much, mostly using it as a heater as its fairly cold here 😂

Not sure where to get the pill to try, as a lot of them seem a bit suspect dl... 

23 hours ago, rand_althor_cometh said:

That's weird but at the same time you're only a few mh/s off the peak for your card so I wouldn't worry. I am interested in someone explaining the mechanism behind what you are seeing though.

Which mechanism? The pill? It's closed source so nobody really knows what it actually does AFAIK. The low hashrate compared to other cards? See my reply. Nvidia has basically confirmed it's a hardware "issue" with Pascal.

I'm currently getting 39 MH/s with 75% PL, +210 core, -250 mem on phoenixminer with -straps 2 and pill.

3 hours ago, Ztaal3 said:

Not sure where to get the pill to try, as a lot of them seem a bit suspect dl... 

That's basically it now. The 'official' link disappeared to my knowledge, so yeah you'll have to judge for yourself which link you'll trust.

On 3/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, GhostDK said:

pill still doing nothing. So yeah,  honestly i still find it wierd

Which algorithm is it mining with? I think the pill only affects ethash/hashimoto, so make sure NiceHash is using that one.

4 hours ago, tikker said:

Which algorithm is it mining with? I think the pill only affects ethash/hashimoto, so make sure NiceHash is using that one.

As i know it, Nicehash Quickminer is only capable of using daggerhashimoto atleast currently. And the only time the pill seems to be doing anything is, if i havent made sure that mem controller load is at 99-100%, then sometimes the Excavator will report something like "Cuda-daggerhashimoto device 0# quick-swap DAG to xxxxxx."  it happends extremely randomly.

However when that happends, it seems like no matter what overclock i have ( ive seen it with +750 mem +120 core, 65%) then it will push the mem controller to 100%. I suppose thats the pill? because with the overclock i mentioned when the "DAG swap" happends, at those times i have seen those insane +50mh/s... But it ONLY works for a few seconds.

20 minutes ago, GhostDK said:

Excavator will report something like "Cuda-daggerhashimoto device 0# quick-swap DAG to xxxxxx."  it happends extremely randomly.

Ethereum is daggerhashimoto. I believe that message indicates it is switching to a different coin that it finds more profitable at that moment. Unless that is turned off.

11 minutes ago, tikker said:

Ethereum is daggerhashimoto. I believe that message indicates it is switching to a different coin that it finds more profitable at that moment. Unless that is turned off.

It might mean that. I honestly dont know. The only thing i know is that nicehash has thus far made the quickminer for only daggerhashimoto. And that dag swift, for half a minute makes so i get to see those 50mh/s. But idk if thats the pill or not. Because i would guess if the pill worked it would be a more constant effect. Not randomly getting half a minute with god speed.

5 minutes ago, GhostDK said:

It might mean that. I honestly dont know. The only thing i know is that nicehash has thus far made the quickminer for only daggerhashimoto. And that dag swift, for half a minute makes so i get to see those 50mh/s. But idk if thats the pill or not. Because i would guess if the pill worked it would be a more constant effect. Not randomly getting half a minute with god speed.

The pill should indeed be an average increase in hashrate, not 30 seconds of god speed and then back down. If it was only doing daggerhashimoto there should be no need for DAG switches, but I never used their quickminer so it could be doing something odd.

Well as long as your getting around the maximum hashrate I'd say it doesn't really matter if the pill seems to work or not.

20 minutes ago, tikker said:

The pill should indeed be an average increase in hashrate, not 30 seconds of god speed and then back down. If it was only doing daggerhashimoto there should be no need for DAG switches, but I never used their quickminer so it could be doing something odd.

Well as long as your getting around the maximum hashrate I'd say it doesn't really matter if the pill seems to work or not.

Well ive chosen to make sure the mem controller is at 98-100% all the time by underclocking memory to get stable around 40mh/s and when the DAG swift comes it goes to max 45. Rather den getting stable 37mh/s with DAG swifts of 50. it would be sweet if the pill could make it so it was stable 50mh/s 😛 But i suppose thats a dream

Well I tried copying your settings and I dropped to 28mhs, so I think the pill might be doing something for you as I can't get mine above 32,5. 

Well mine does not want to go much over 32, but I did get the efficiency up, from 185w to now 134w and up mhs by 0,1-0,25. Works worse as a heater, but staying quieter. 

55 minutes ago, Ztaal3 said:

Well mine does not want to go much over 32, but I did get the efficiency up, from 185w to now 134w and up mhs by 0,1-0,25. Works worse as a heater, but staying quieter. 

28-32 MH/s is about where it is for me without the pill or strap settings.

Strap settings? 

Well might have to risk it on a pill maybe 😂 You don't have one to share? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 9:09 AM, GhostDK said:

i hope a mining ralated question is ok

First some background info

So i have an Asus Strix 1080 ti and i have been busy with school and life in general so i thought what the hell, and i got nicehash quickminer because why not. it mines daggerhashimoto which im under the impression is for ethereum. Now a few years ago, i heard alot about the GDDR5X in the 1080ti wasnt the best for ethereum due to GDDR5x being to fast or something like that. And i have heard about "ethlargement pill" should help with that and i am using it, it only works sometimes though..

Thats the background info, so the thing is all documentation online seem to indicate i should be able to get about 44mh/s with some overclock of the memory and keeping core clock +0. 

I usually run 65% power limit, +120 core clock +750 memery clock and got approx 36-37mh/s...

Today i looked at nicehash where it reportet that the memory controller was being utilized at 80%. Googling around i found that it should be closer to 100%... and alot of testing resulted in my currently running: power limit at 65%. Core clock + 120 and memery clock at -502 and then getting 100% memory controller utilization. and basically if i move the clock of memory at all according to GPU-z the memory load will begin to go under 100% and so on... And with that underclock of the memory and overclock of the core gives me around 39-40mh/s..... 

I hope my explanation makes sense... so then, can someone explain to me how overclocking works because with my experience as mentioned, i dont feel like whats happening is making ANY sense...

My card is a 1080ti MSI Seahawk (AIO cooler attached).

I'm brand new to mining and started only a few days ago, used to game intermittently although now I have a young family so I don't have much time for gaming any more.

I have been using nice hash as it seems to be the easiest/most convenient and I've been getting around 42-47mH at 180-200w consumption. After a bit of tinkering I have come up with the following settings in after burner (MSI software):

+150 core clock

+500 memory

77 power limit

180-200 watts

54°C @ 100% load

I've had to separately install ETHlargementpill because the settings in nice hash don't seem to work. Even if i run it with administrator privileges and enable ETHenlargementPill within nice hash settings, it still didn't improve at all. I think the reason might be a missing .json file for ETHlargementpill in its windows folder which is missing, which I read on a recent Reddit post on r/nicehash

I've seen some of you mention that you underclock your core and up the memory and from what I understand that is the right thing to do for etherium based algorithms. But the weird thing for me is that I'm getting about 42-47 mH/s from my over clocks written above, although if I drop my core clock to even +50 it gets way lower mH/s values (around 36ish)?

Im quite a novice at crypto at the moment but I'm learning lots every day, the sad part is that I've became what I once seeked to destroy; a god damn crypto miner 😂

Would love to know others knowledge on this situation as I've scoured Reddit for answers to no avail.

Cheers, Percy

I started mining with my 1080Ti a couple days ago using Nicehash Quick Miner + The pill.

The underclocks don't work for me either. Haven't tried the infamous -502 on memory yet though.

Atm getting a stable 47.2MH/s @ 187W

Core is locked to 2012MHz @ 0.912V using the curve editor in Afterburner.

Memory +500. Anything higher won't make a difference for me. 

I noticed that every time you change your overclock you should close and restart both the ETHpill and Quick Miner. I'm assuming the pill might configure the memory timings differently for different clock speeds because I saw a bigger increase in hashrate after restart.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:23 PM, GhostDK said:

As i know it, Nicehash Quickminer is only capable of using daggerhashimoto atleast currently. And the only time the pill seems to be doing anything is, if i havent made sure that mem controller load is at 99-100%, then sometimes the Excavator will report something like "Cuda-daggerhashimoto device 0# quick-swap DAG to xxxxxx."  it happends extremely randomly.

However when that happends, it seems like no matter what overclock i have ( ive seen it with +750 mem +120 core, 65%) then it will push the mem controller to 100%. I suppose thats the pill? because with the overclock i mentioned when the "DAG swap" happends, at those times i have seen those insane +50mh/s... But it ONLY works for a few seconds.

I've seen this as well, it is in the Excavator output, so it is definitely not Nicehash shutting down the Excavator miner and swapping to another miner to mine something else.

I tend to see it a few times in a patch, sometimes the value being all zeroes, and then nothing. It is extremely uncommon that I see it at all, it is not accompanied by any errors or warnings, or any crashes or graphical artifacting.

I do not know the significance or meaning of this message, but I am confident that without any warnings, errors, crashes, or artifacting, it is not concerning.

Screenshot below:

image.png.b176fd72fd28af5964af78d7e49a7259.png