Noctua Cooler Not Performing Properly?

Today I installed my new NH-U12A on my R5 3600, replacing the stock cooler. I've gone from idle temps of 38-40c to 33-34c. My cinebench r23 multi core runs went from 9111 points and 92c peak 89-90c average to a 9173, 89 - - and 9148 with peak 89c and average 86c. This doesn't seem like anywhere near the expected performance increase :/. I'm using pbo. Case is meshify c. I did clean the IHS with a microfibre cloth before applying the paste but maybe I didn't apply the paste very well?

Did you peel the sticker off of the heatsink base?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Did you peel the sticker off of the heatsink base?

there was just a piece of plastic which I took off yeah

12 minutes ago, Joealex24 said:

Today I installed my new NH-U12A on my R5 3600, replacing the stock cooler. I've gone from idle temps of 38-40c to 33-34c. My cinebench r23 multi core runs went from 9111 points and 92c peak 89-90c average to a 9173, 89 - - and 9148 with peak 89c and average 86c. This doesn't seem like anywhere near the expected performance increase :/. I'm using pbo. Case is meshify c. I did clean the IHS with a microfibre cloth before applying the paste but maybe I didn't apply the paste very well?

Did you ramp up the fan speed, I think the fan on the stock cooler may spin faster.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

1 minute ago, Joealex24 said:

there was just a piece of plastic which I took off yeah

Ok. Did you change anything with the fan curves at all? If not, check and make sure you used enough thermal paste, and reseat the cooler.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, MadAnt250 said:

Did you ramp up the fan speed, I think the fan on the stock cooler may spin faster.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Ok. Did you change anything with the fan curves at all? If not, check and make sure you used enough thermal paste, and reseat the cooler.

I moved the fan curve up after the first test run. Pretty sure its at 100% past 75c or something so like 2000rpm for these fans. If I take the cooler off can I just put it back on or do I have to clean and reapply the thermal paste? I don't want to redo the thermal paste right now but can do in the next day or two (I might get some isopropyl alcohol then as well).

There's a few things you should check:

The noctua mounting hardware is firmly and correctly installed on the motherboard

Look at the processor and cooler cold plate when removing to check coverage, the most fool proof method of paste is a thin layer across the entire IHS

Are you using the "noise reducer" in line resistor that noctua occasionally provides? If yes I would recommend you don't, you can always just control fan speed via software

Is the fan installed with the proper direction for the airflow of your case, are your case fans set properly to draw and exhaust air?

edit: Try with and without PBO, could just be your motherboard is overvolting too much for little to no frequency improvement. PBO is kinda crap

2 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

There's a few things you should check:

The noctua mounting hardware is firmly and correctly installed on the motherboard

Look at the processor and cooler cold plate when removing to check coverage, the most fool proof method of paste is a thin layer across the entire IHS

Are you using the "noise reducer" in line resistor that noctua occasionally provides? If yes I would recommend you don't, you can always just control fan speed via software

Is the fan installed with the proper direction for the airflow of your case, are your case fans set properly to draw and exhaust air?

can I remove the cooler to check without having to reapply thermal paste?

Just now, Joealex24 said:

can I remove the cooler to check without having to reapply thermal paste?

Linus does it all the time, I have as well when I'm troubleshooting and have to remove the cooler multiple times. As long as the coverage was good before it should be fine, but since you're have thermal issues you will probably want to try a new fresh mount at some point

18 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

Linus does it all the time, I have as well when I'm troubleshooting and have to remove the cooler multiple times. As long as the coverage was good before it should be fine, but since you're have thermal issues you will probably want to try a new fresh mount at some point

29 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

thermal paste was spread perfectly across the whole ihs not spilling over the sides

Instead of PBO in bios maybe download ryzen master and try the newest version of Ryzen Clock Tuner. It is capable to changing between profiles similar to how the Dark Hero board can, allowing you to swap to an undervolted/optimized all core overclock only during heavy usage to keep your single core boost normal. You could also potentially get your all core overclock close to the 3600's single core boost with some luck with silicon quality

edit: to be clear, CTR is a third party tool that leverages Ryzen Master for an efficient overclock according to your tested silicon quality

4 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

Instead of PBO in bios maybe download ryzen master and try the newest version of Ryzen Clock Tuner. It is capable to changing between profiles similar to how the Dark Hero board can, allowing you to swap to an undervolted/optimized all core overclock only during heavy usage to keep your single core boost normal. You could also potentially get your all core overclock close to the 3600's single core boost with some luck with silicon quality

edit: to be clear, CTR is a third party tool that leverages Ryzen Master for an efficient overclock according to your tested silicon quality

Yeah I've heard of that might try at some point. Turned off smart fan mode so they are now constantly at 2000rpm and averaged just over 70c in cinebench r23 peak 75c which I think is good? The fan curve mustn't have been reaching 2000 for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Joealex24 said:

Yeah I've heard of that might try at some point. Turned off smart fan mode so they are now constantly at 2000rpm and averaged just over 70c in cinebench r23 peak 75c which I think is good? The fan curve mustn't have been reaching 2000 for some reason.

the fan curve is probably based on the "cpu temp" not the "cpu package temp" while having a max temperature/max fan of what the max package is... which the "cpu temp" will never reach since your clocks drop off before that point. If you can change the curve you could just bump the 100% point back 5-10 degrees, that's usually around where my processors package vs socket temp is. If the noctua fan isn't noticeable it might be worth while to just leave it @ 100%, you'll get snappier performance in general keeping the cpu cooler

58 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

that isn't how it works at all, funny enough I replaced my stock fan cooler with a noctua NH-U12S today and I didn't change my fan curves at all, and it's spinning at 500rpm instead of 2500rpm, that's the whole point of a tower cooler like this, and why it's much more silent and my temps went from 95C in prime95 to 77C max...

I think OP didn't put enough thermal paste,  or too much, or didn't tighten the screws properly (they say until it doesn't spin anymore... which takes longer than you'd think)

Also my Superposition scores went up!  Cause the PC runs much cooler now - besides the annoying, sawing sound of the stock cooler the reason I brought this cooler, idc about cpu scores at all but the thing was running too hot costing me performance... 

Idle temp went from ~40 to 30 btw

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

that isn't how it works at all,

Sounds like the fan curve is needs some tweaking.

1 hour ago, Joealex24 said:

System specs below

Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

1 minute ago, MadAnt250 said:

Sounds like the fan curve is needs some tweaking.

Maybe but I'm saying the noctuas fan speed is much lower (over 50% slower) and I'm getting way better temps so I think something else is off with OPs cooler or rather mount. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Maybe but I'm saying the noctuas fan speed is much lower (over 50% slower) and I'm getting way better temps so I think something else is off with OPs cooler or rather mount. 

It could be mounting, and should be checked, but the OP has great temps in cinebench with the fans set to full speed which is not bad as far as noise goes, and is much slower than the stock cooler fan, it could be the fan control being weird and not ramping the fan speed up like it should. For all we know the fans could be installed incorrectly, which is a mistake people make sometimes. 

IDK, something is a bit off, taking it off and trying again wont hurt.

System specs below