Best CPU's in the newest sockets?

I have been away from PC building for a few years and I'm having trouble catching up on what the newest sockets & Chipsets for both AMD and Intel. If you could help me out on that, along with some suggestions of good CPU's I could get on that socket for gaming, that would be great. I'm looking to upgrade from my 6800k and I would rather go for the newest socket/chipset instead of upgrading in an outdated socket.

AMD's latest release is Zen 3 (Ryzen 5000 series) on the B550 and X570 chipsets, and Intel is gearing up to release 11th Gen (Rocket Lake) on the Z590 chipset.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Ryzen released in 2016, with the 1000 series, after several years of waiting for AMD to do literally anything that wasn't a console processor. The chipsets that accompanied it were A320, B350, and X370. 2000 series Ryzen saw the B450 and X470 chipsets. When 3000 series Ryzen was released, only X570 landed on the market. MSI released a line of B450 motherboards to fill in for the yet-to-come B550. The B550-A chipset saw a couple models, but it was an OEM-only glorified B450 chipset. After a while, B550 and A520 landed in the market, and were shortly followed by 5000 series Ryzen. There was a 4000 series but it was OEM only and was all APUs. We're currently waiting for some cool 5000 series APUs but with the shortages that probably won't happen soon (if at all.) Good for them anyway, they started outselling intel from certain retailers and managed to actually take the performance crown.

Intel was selling the i7-7700K in 2016, since it was so similar to the 6700K it gave AMD an opportunity to capitalize on Intel's stagnation. Intel retaliated in 2017 with 8th gen (coffee lake) that introduced a 6 core processor at the high end, finally moving on from 4 cores. This came with the Z370, B360, and H310/370 chipsets. After AMD started picking up momentum with 2000 series Ryzen, intel released their 9th gen, a coffee lake refresh that was a more optimized out of the box version of 8th gen, as well as the Z390, B365, and H310-C chipsets (though the latter was more due to shortages and wasn't necessarily part of this generation.) They also increased the core count to 8 cores at the high end and inroduced the first mainstream i9. This was all made more confusing by the fact that they kept the LGA 1151 socket but there was no inter-compatibility with 6/7th gen. Finally they released LGA 1200 and 10th gen, after a long delay. It's kinda meh. 11th gen was reviewed early by anandtech and also looks kinda meh so don't be too excited.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk, maybe I'll make a part 2 for HEDT

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 3/9/2021 at 4:31 PM, Fasauceome said:

Ryzen released in 2016, with the 1000 series, after several years of waiting for AMD to do literally anything that wasn't a console processor. The chipsets that accompanied it were A320, B350, and X370. 2000 series Ryzen saw the B450 and X470 chipsets. When 3000 series Ryzen was released, only X570 landed on the market. MSI released a line of B450 motherboards to fill in for the yet-to-come B550. The B550-A chipset saw a couple models, but it was an OEM-only glorified B450 chipset. After a while, B550 and A520 landed in the market, and were shortly followed by 5000 series Ryzen. There was a 4000 series but it was OEM only and was all APUs. We're currently waiting for some cool 5000 series APUs but with the shortages that probably won't happen soon (if at all.) Good for them anyway, they started outselling intel from certain retailers and managed to actually take the performance crown.

Intel was selling the i7-7700K in 2016, since it was so similar to the 6700K it gave AMD an opportunity to capitalize on Intel's stagnation. Intel retaliated in 2017 with 8th gen (coffee lake) that introduced a 6 core processor at the high end, finally moving on from 4 cores. This came with the Z370, B360, and H310/370 chipsets. After AMD started picking up momentum with 2000 series Ryzen, intel released their 9th gen, a coffee lake refresh that was a more optimized out of the box version of 8th gen, as well as the Z390, B365, and H310-C chipsets (though the latter was more due to shortages and wasn't necessarily part of this generation.) They also increased the core count to 8 cores at the high end and inroduced the first mainstream i9. This was all made more confusing by the fact that they kept the LGA 1151 socket but there was no inter-compatibility with 6/7th gen. Finally they released LGA 1200 and 10th gen, after a long delay. It's kinda meh. 11th gen was reviewed early by anandtech and also looks kinda meh so don't be too excited.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk, maybe I'll make a part 2 for HEDT

So I should look at AMD and forget intel if I am looking to upgrade later this year?

1 minute ago, vladonizer said:

So I should look at AMD and forget intel if I am looking to upgrade later this year?

2022, rumors have it AMD will release Zen 4 on DDR5. 

Later this year, may mean wait till next year. Just depends how bad you want to upgrade.

4 minutes ago, vladonizer said:

Really depends on availability. AMD processors are quite hard to find right now, maybe later this year you can actually get one. We shall see, based on the market landscape by that time.

Performance is so close together and they both offer such similar features, were basically at a point where the cheaper is the better of the two.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

18 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Really depends on availability. AMD processors are quite hard to find right now, maybe later this year you can actually get one. We shall see, based on the market landscape by that time.

Performance is so close together and they both offer such similar features, were basically at a point where the cheaper is the better of the two.

The other 2 options would be wait another generation to see what AMD is coming out with next, or just upgrade my 6800k with a used cpu(if I can find one)