Sub $1000 gaming Laptop

Budget (including currency): $1000* USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Sims with DLC, WoW, Skyrim, Minecraft , able to stream a nintendo switch to the monitor (capture card will need to be purchased separately for this)

Other details

Someone approached me for a laptop recommendation and I figured I'd start here before making recommendations first. Based on their requests they dont need anything ultra powerful and I do not believe they will get into any sort of fast paced shooters, so high refresh rate, 4k displays are not needed. We were originally going to look into doing a tower computer but.... uh . Yeah, You're likely aware why if you're reading this. 

Edited by TVwazhere
Do $100 laptops even exist?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Budget (including currency): $100 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Sims with DLC, WoW, Skyrim, Minecraft , able to stream a nintendo switch to the monitor (capture card will need to be purchased separately for this)

Other details

Someone approached me for a laptop recommendation and I figured I'd start here before making recommendations first. Based on their requests they dont need anything ultra powerful and I do not believe they will get into any sort of fast paced shooters, so high refresh rate, 4k displays are not needed. We were originally going to look into doing a tower computer but.... uh . Yeah, You're likely aware why if you're reading this. 

prebuilts are still there and still have gpus; Don't think you are forced to get a laptop
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/dell-g5-gaming-desktop/spd/g-series-5000-desktop/gd5090g510s?view=configurations&configurationid=d6137307-49e1-40c8-8d17-014df79cd2e2 example

Laptops are much more personal and subjective, but I am just going to recommend the one with the best specs: https://www.newegg.com/fortress-gray-asus-tuf-gaming-a15-tuf506iu-es74-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235421?Description=gaming laptop&cm_re=gaming_laptop-_-34-235-421-_-Product

8 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Do $100 laptops even exist?

[Inserts thinkpi]

I use a UX430U and I love it. MX150 gpu, good i7, good thermals.. beautiful monitor.. 250gb ssd.
I use it for 3d modeling and some unity work. should work great with smaller games too.

(And esp since they've now moved on to I think a MX250 or maybe higher depending on price)

IIRC there's some versions with a bigger 1050ti or higher but don't quote me on that.

Also good: Gigabyte something 15.. I had a good experience with it but sold it for the asus.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

5 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

meh. G5s are known for bein very mediocre and everything is propietary

Also those A15s get really, REALLY hot.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Downkey said:

meh. G5s are known for bein very mediocre and every is propietary

Also those A15s get really, REALLY hot.

yeah that was just an example, but the point is there are desktops out there. 

And see, this is why I’m so hesitant to reccomend laptops, there are a lot more factors other than just specs.