Verified Actual Gamer Program Information [See Best Answer / 2021-10-08 update]

Padblaze
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** IMPORTANT *** LATEST INFO ***

Latest drop was made 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

The drop is over, we have no info about when, what or where the next will be. Follow LinusTechTips on Youtube for any new drops.

EXPECTED TO DROP NEXT:

• Intel Arc GPUs (hinted at Dec 24th WAN Show)

About shipping and handling

• Handling times seem to be 1 week from drop to shipping label created.
  • Shipping times depend on carrier. For outside of NA, the carrier is FedEx and shipping times seem to be regular 5-14 days. For US and Canada, the shipping times might be same, or even longer.
  • Any additional charges, like customs fees and local VAT are paid on entry to country. There has been variation between countries to whom payments are made (FedEx on delivery, FedEx to their office, custom directly), so contact your local FedEx or customs offices for more details on those.

Known drops:

1. Asus 3070, 3080 and 3090, 2021-03-20 17:40 UTC

Spoiler

2. MSI 3080 SeaHawk, 2021-03-30 16:59 UTC

Spoiler

3. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 2021-04-09 00:59 UTC

Spoiler

4. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-24 01:57 UTC / During WAN Show

Spoiler

5. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-26 17:05 UTC

Spoiler

vag2.thumb.PNG.ddd1ef7594273016c360771a196baf6a.PNGvag.PNG.6b7b0a1f9d7fc091e7b30720625e99f8.PNG

6. EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming / RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra, 2021-05-06 20:29 UTC

Spoiler

7. MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X OC, 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

$1589.99

Spoiler

PARTICIPATION ENDED! If you are local to LMG (Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, Canada), you can participate to this https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

Announced in WAN Show https://youtu.be/-qj6hkLkdYg?t=2450

The even video (also 6th drop video)

FAQ

How do I enter? Can I enter? Where to signup?

You don't. All information about the drops are posted to Youtube and are hidden in videos. So far all drops have been on LinusTechTips main channel.

UPDATE: One of the drops was made live, during the WAN Show on Fridays. Until now there has been no drops on Friday or weekends.

UPDATE: For limited time, you can participate with local event https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

I watched the video, but there were no information. Where do I find this?

The information about the drop is removed from video after the drop is over.

When are videos posted?

At the moment LMG is using their regular timeslot which is 10-11AM PST (17-18 UTC).

UPDATE: LMG has posted in different timeslot to allow those in school or working chance.

How does this work?

So far the known information is following:

• Video is posted on Youtube and Floatplane at the same time.
  • There's segment in video where Linus gives a hint about what link you need to use in order to enter. The hints are words and Linus uses his fingers to state what parts of the link they are. The links start with http://www.lttstore.com/. Link is temporary and will only show note about drop ending afterwards.
    • UPDATE: Previously there was actual cut-scene, latest drop had just voice-over during b-roll.
  • There will be challenge on store page.
    • The first two drops had 15 question quiz about video games. You have 3 lives and 3-4 options to choose from. Fastest to finish will get their chance to buy items.
      • Besides 3 lives, you can skip 2 questions.
      • The latest drop had questions in video format with some answers shown as "A/B/C/D" and some as written normally.
    • UPDATE: Latest drop had small flash game in style of Jump King / Icy Tower.
  • Item of the drop is shown on store page before taking the quiz. You will see the price and other details too.
  • UPDATE: After completing challenge, you are put onto queue with AFK meter to prevent idling. Forgetting to re-charge bar will drop you at the tail end of the line
  • Prices are before VAT, tariffs etc. and shown in USD. Price after tariffs (US only) are shown on page.
  • You are allowed to buy one CPU and one GPU from this event. (Source)

Can you tell me when the next drop is?

No, because we don't know.

I'm at school/sleeping/working/have other reasons and can't watch at current time slot.

Linus has said that they will at some point use different time slot. What it is, we don't know. UPDATE: The time slot for later time was 12PM-1AM UTC.

Why can't they have link or more information somewhere?

Because the whole point is make this as hard as possible for anyone but the absolute most dedicated fans.

Why they don't collect list of people? Why aren't forum members, Floatplane subscribers etc. prioritized?

List wouldn't do anything. There would still need to be draw of sort needed, and the list would consist more of non-gamers the longer it was left open. Prioritizing forum members would discriminate towards other parts of audience.

Having payment as requirement to join or as something making "winning" more likely is classified as lottery under laws. This would require permit, it would exclude several regions which require local permits or don't allow any lottery, and it would put age limit of 19 years in place.

Can I try quiz afterwards?

At the moment, no. But there might be site at some point after event ends.

Posts made by Luke and Linus.

Spoiler

WAN Show segments

Spoiler

WAN Show Jun 4, 2021

26:25 - 27:10 "We currently have no stock, but the program is still on"

1:23:00 - 1:23:30 One board partner with some 3080Ti's coming

WAN Show April 23, 2021

17:43 - 34:43 VAG Drop live on stream

43:15 - 44:50 VAG drop is over, hinted about 270 more cards

1:16:40 - 1:17:44 Some last minute info

WAN Show April 16, 2021

1:36:30 Super-chats

WAN Show April 9, 2021

13:20 - 13:40 The latest drop info
40:50 - 43:55 The local event info
1:15:35 - 1:17:34 Super-chats #1
1:24:25 - 1:24:47 Super-chats #2
1:25:47 - 1:26:07 Super-chats #3

WAN Show August 27, 2021

1:05:40 - Super-chats

WAN Show October 8, 2021

2:06:20 - Super-chats

Here Linus says that Verified Actual Gamer program would be suspended until further notice. Reason given was that retail prices are about same as so-called "scalper prices". Making the program pointless.

WAN Show December 24, 2021

1:09:10 onward

To be updated

Misc:

Isn't the US founders edtion $1,199?  why is this $1589 for a ventus edition? not even one the 'premium' cards

2 minutes ago, croaker said:

Isn't the US founders edtion $1,199?  why is this $1589 for a ventus edtion? not even one the 'premium' cards

MSI scalping us with their new msrp...

1 minute ago, Tortillin0077 said:

MSI scalping us with their new msrp...

To be fair it's not scalping when the supplier does it, it's price gouging. 😛

In this case two layers of it, one by nvidia and another by MSI, and still sold out everywhere.

1 minute ago, Xjph said:

In this case two layers of it, one by nvidia and another by MSI, and still sold out everywhere.

True, true. In your opinion, what was the best VAG drop (aside from the local one)?

2 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

Sadly with shipping and import taxes, it's not a good deal for anyone in europe/outside North America. Is this a good deal in the US?

I'm trusting LTT not to scalp the cards, so have manufacturers begun scalping their own cards if this is the best deal LTT can get? I mean this is the most basic edition of the MSI 3080 TIs, of course they're allowed to charge a premium for the OC editions, but this is just sad 😞 If it was a Suprim X at that price, I'd probably get one.

AIB cards are always more expensive than Founders cards for starters. And yes, considering the demand is still high and supply relatively low, the prices will remain high for forseeable future. Basics of free economics and capitalism. As discussed in many topics for the better part of this year.

1 hour ago, Xjph said:

Its not price gouging. Its just free markets and capitalism. These GPUs still aren't necessary commody, their are luxury items.

Updating BA asap, but might be tomorrow. Almost time to sleep for me. E: Got it done.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

For the record though I wanna say i am glad they are still doing these, they got 100 cards into the hands of guys like us and that makes me happy to hear, the 3080ti just isnt the card for me but I applaud the effort.

5 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

they got 100 cards into the hands of guys like us and that makes me happy to hear,

For this price you can easily buy it without LTT. Also EVGA and some other brands should be cheaper.

image.png.68ffab204eb5812e3a2afce531fb1d21.png

Just now, AlexP11223 said:

For this price you can easily buy it without LTT. Also EVGA and some other brands should be cheaper.

image.png.e9de4ef1a6a58276c9ab4ede3060d142.png

That's a regular 3080, not a TI

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Its not price gouging. Its just free markets and capitalism. These GPUs still aren't necessary commody, their are luxury items.

hundred bucks more than evga one after conversion, and even this msi card from LTT VAG is low tier (1695 MHz boost and two 8-pin headers). I'd say price gouging on MSI part.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-ftw3-ultra-12gb-gddr6x-video-card/15524485

Man people are still scalping these cards, despite the whole verified gamer thing.

5 minutes ago, Meobius said:

Man people are still scalping these cards, despite the whole verified gamer thing.

post got deleted

3 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

Sadly with shipping and import taxes, it's not a good deal for anyone in europe/outside North America. Is this a good deal in the US?

I'm trusting LTT not to scalp the cards, so have manufacturers begun scalping their own cards if this is the best deal LTT can get? I mean this is the most basic edition of the MSI 3080 TIs, of course they're allowed to charge a premium for the OC editions, but this is just sad 😞 If it was a Suprim X at that price, I'd probably get one.

MSI scalped the shit out of that card. You can get a 3080 Ti, not the specific MSI OC model, for $1700-1800 USD on eBay with buy it now and not going through an auction. Hell, you might as well skip the entire VAG program and just buy it from MicroCenter/Newegg scalpers at the same price as VAG.

46 minutes ago, Tortillin0077 said:

hundred bucks more than evga one after conversion, and even this msi card from LTT VAG is low tier (1695 MHz boost and two 8-pin headers). I'd say price gouging on MSI part.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-ftw3-ultra-12gb-gddr6x-video-card/15524485

That's not how price gouging works. For it to be price gouging, the product has to be a NECESSITY and not a LUXURY...

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, Tortillin0077 said:

I first thought the price listed was in CAD, but when I realized it was not my mouth just opened...😱

Was this the cheapest 3080 ti drop they've had? At least the game challenge was fun...

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if MSI just offloaded that specific slow selling model onto Linus. They basically tricked Linus into selling an overpriced product that they otherwise were having trouble to sell. In the US, the 3080 Tis are the only NVIDIA cards that I regularly see in stock at MicroCenter and they're usually around the same $1900-2000 price range.

Edit: The "cheaper" near MSRP 3080 Tis, around $1400-1500 USD, sell out a lot faster, before its actually out of stock for a long time. But, those stupidly priced 3080 Tis take weeks before they're gone and by then a different model at the similar $1900-2000 price takes its place.

Edited by OreoCupcakes

16 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

That's not how price gouging works. For it to be price gouging, the product has to be a NECESSITY and not a LUXURY...

Either way, it is not priced based on "free markets and capitalism" if the competitor product is offering significantly better for less. MSI knows what they are doing here and they are overcharging a card that does less than its competitors.

After finding out i might have to pay 25% tax plus some another import tax.. No fuck this, theres no way its gonna be cheaper unless the explicitly mark it as a "gift" which sounds like a bad joke.  I have a 3080 ti already and that was some 2080$ already.. No way i could get a second for my friend with a rx 480.. atleast he has a gpu tho 😛

Good to see VAG in action, even if the instructions sounded really weird and i didnt understand how to enter the website 😞

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

55 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If we're talking about the legal definition, yes. I think it satisfies the common/dictionary definition just fine.

2 hours ago, Tortillin0077 said:

But can you actually get a card from Bestbuy, do they have cards in stock in the store?

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

If the price is more inflated than another brand of GPU then i think its price gouging. And i'm sure there are people that need a graphics card for work.

Although for those lucky enough to get into VAG, getting a GPU even if its overpriced is enough of a deal i guess.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

If the price is more inflated than another brand of GPU then i think its price gouging.

How so? Companies can set their own price as they want. If Netflix charges $15 a month, but Huluu is $25, is Huluu price gouging? Or is it that they aren't the same product. Yes parts of it are the same, but that's it. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

But can you actually get a card from Bestbuy, do they have cards in stock in the store?

If the price is more inflated than another brand of GPU then i think its price gouging. And i'm sure there are people that need a graphics card for work.

Although for those lucky enough to get into VAG, getting a GPU even if its overpriced is enough of a deal i guess.

The point being this card's msrp is overpriced and it's one of the lowest performing cards in its brand and among competitors. Having it in stock or offered on LTT VAG doesn't change that.  Further to this, wherever you can get this card in store in the US, it is much cheaper than buying it through LTT. This drop really was just an opportunity for MSI to offload their crap cards.

5 hours ago, Tortillin0077 said:

Either way, it is not priced based on "free markets and capitalism" if the competitor product is offering significantly better for less. MSI knows what they are doing here and they are overcharging a card that does less than its competitors.

3 hours ago, Tortillin0077 said:

The point being this card's msrp is overpriced and it's one of the lowest performing cards in its brand and among competitors. Having it in stock or offered on LTT VAG doesn't change that.  Further to this, wherever you can get this card in store in the US, it is much cheaper than buying it through LTT. This drop really was just an opportunity for MSI to offload their crap cards.

Then call it inflated price?
Don't mix in terms that just doesn't apply here. Talking about scalping and price gouging in this matter is just showing lack of knowledge people have.

You (all) might as well be correct that MSI dumped this pack on LMG. Yet nobody was forced to buy anything. If you check pricing against another store and find it more expensive, why would you buy? That's what free market means. Companies can set price to what they think consumer is willing to pay for luxury item. Consumers decide if the price is too high or not by buying or not buying. Enough of options that are cheaper will lower the prices.

But what I can see here, the price was already within range of competitors. People are mainly angry because buying internationally means paying same tax and shipping. Which are already added to the higher prices you see for example in stores of Europe.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Then call it inflated price?
Don't mix in terms that just doesn't apply here. Talking about scalping and price gouging in this matter is just showing lack of knowledge people have.

You (all) might as well be correct that MSI dumped this pack on LMG. Yet nobody was forced to buy anything. If you check pricing against another store and find it more expensive, why would you buy? That's what free market means. Companies can set price to what they think consumer is willing to pay for luxury item. Consumers decide if the price is too high or not by buying or not buying. Enough of options that are cheaper will lower the prices.

But what I can see here, the price was already within range of competitors. People are mainly angry because buying internationally means paying same tax and shipping. Which are already added to the higher prices you see for example in stores of Europe.

Pedantries aside, it is literally a card that performs worse than the competition that MSI is charging more for... It's not priced within range at all.

10 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

That's a regular 3080, not a TI

ah, yeah, but if Newegg and other US stores show the prices with the China tariffs then there are many Tis near 2k$ too like in LTT store.

19 hours ago, Tortillin0077 said:

Pedantries aside, it is literally a card that performs worse than the competition that MSI is charging more for... It's not priced within range at all.

Then don't buy it. If no one buys it, MSI can't sell it, and then they drop the price. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Then don't buy it. If no one buys it, MSI can't sell it, and then they drop the price. 

Which is why it is a shame many people don't know what they are buying into.. as we've seen people in this thread think it's priced reasonably well just because it got visibility through VAG program...🤦‍♂️