Help me pick a laptop from these 2 options

Go to solution Solved by Newbie_Gamerz,

@Wh0_Am_1 @Jayzer @boggy77 @Dumb guy Thanks bros! I heard that the options I mentioned had weak thermals... So I waited and saved some bucks and bought a Legion 5 with R5-4600H and a GTX1650 with 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD storage

I found these 2 laptops on Amazon and Flipkart. Both are of the exact same price of 59,990 INR. 

One is the Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 15ARH05 Flipkart link

Another is an ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT-HN457T : Amazon link

Everything is similar except for these: (Lenovo / Asus)

CPU: R5 4600H / R7 3750H

GPU RAM type: GDDR6 / GDDR5

RAM: 3200MHz / 2400MHz

Refresh rate: 60Hz / 144Hz

Keyboard: Blue backlit / One zone RGB

Battery: 45Wh / 48Wh

I can't find any other difference. If you guys notice pls mention and help me pick a laptop.

Thanks

Although the ASUS laptop has very slow RAM, in my opinion, it's the better one out of the two options.

And despite the ASUS one having GDDR5, the GDDR6 1650 is about 6% faster, which would be like, 3 to 5 frames? (estimation)

And you made a typo, the ASUS one has a Ryzen 7 3750H.

So I'd say go with the ASUS.

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

Now if you want the screen and the 4600h I would heavily recommend going with the successor to the ASUS TUF FX505 and go for the TUF506 AKA TUF A15 for ₹ 65,990.00.

EDIT: the advantage of the newer one, is if you are willing to upgrade the SSD and take out the HDD later on you can toss a 90WH battery in there.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

7 hours ago, Jayzer said:

Although the ASUS laptop has very slow RAM, in my opinion, it's the better one out of the two options.

And despite the ASUS one having GDDR5, the GDDR6 1650 is about 6% faster, which would be like, 3 to 5 frames? (estimation)

Thanks for letting me know about the typo. I've edited it now. And before I proceed with the final option I would like to wait few more days to get opinion from many people. In the meantime can someone pls share this topic with a few people? Because I'm planning to buy one of these before my college reopens. It's only a week away.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, Jayzer said:

Is the cooling solution good in that laptop?

Laptops at that price point should have decent cooling, but if you're worried about it getting too hot, you can get one of those laptop fans and put your laptop on top of it.

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

On 3/8/2021 at 7:00 AM, suriya2210 said:

Is the cooling solution good in that laptop?

It's good enough, not spectacular like some Clevo designs. Generally it performs about average in cooling for a laptop of this price point, save for the fact that they skimped a little on the cooling for the VRMs so for best result please use this on a table when you are pushing the laptop. 

On 3/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, Jayzer said:

Laptops at that price point should have decent cooling, but if you're worried about it getting too hot, you can get one of those laptop fans and put your laptop on top of it.

In this particular laptop they actually skimped on the VRMs (which is why there is an intake vent on the back of the laptop below the display.) So if you use one of those cooling pads it will lead to positive air pressure right in front of the fans, leading to them accepting the fresh air rather than pulling air past the VRMs cooling them down, leading to the VRMs overheating, leading to throttling which reduces voltage to the CPU and thereby performance. In the end due the thermal design decisions with this laptop, it is best just to plop it on a level surface and let it do it's thing. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

• 5 weeks later...