First networking side job - Need help!

Muleworx

Hello all!

Long time member and have built a few custom PCs but I have recently have been asked to setup a friends small business. It is a deli and they have 3 wifi scales that need to be on a closed wireless network with no internet access (need to confirm that part). They also need a router.

1. From my understanding I just setup router with a new SSID and password, maybe hide the SSID? What is the best practice for ensuring it does not have internet access? Simply not having it plugged in to the modem? 

2. Recommendation for a router for this type of setup?

Thank you,

Ryan

41 minutes ago, Muleworx said:

maybe hide the SSID?

Don't hide the ssid, makes security worse.

42 minutes ago, Muleworx said:

1. From my understanding I just setup router with a new SSID and password,

Just get a access point, no need for a router here. Also just saying, a lot of devices now really want a internet connection for wifi, and aren't happen when connected to wifi without internet.

42 minutes ago, Muleworx said:

2. Recommendation for a router for this type of setup?

What exactly do you need? Just get a access point, lots of models, I like the unifi ones.

13 hours ago, Muleworx said:

It is a deli and they have 3 wifi scales that need to be on a closed wireless network with no internet access (need to confirm that part).

Yes, please confirm that part. Will these wireless scales be communicating with a computer that is part of the same network (no WAN access)?

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just get a access point, no need for a router here.

I think a router might also be necessary here to provide a DHCP server for the clients.

This Ubiquiti forum post has the recommendation of using an Edgerouter-X and an AP (you can use a UAP-AC-Lite). Both of these devices are relatively inexpensive and their setup is not much different than that of setting up with internet; you just don’t wire up any uplink to a network with internet access.

As an aside, I recommend you get the specifications of the scales to see if they support 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz, then only use one on the AP at the lowest power output that the scales can detect. Of course, set up security/encryption (provided the scales support it) and utilize an open channel. Reasons: these scales aren’t moving, the amount of data they’re going to be transmitting is small, keeps the antenna signal within the shop, reduces interference with other WiFi networks in the area.

20 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Yes, please confirm that part. Will these wireless scales be communicating with a computer that is part of the same network (no WAN access)?

I think a router might also be necessary here to provide a DHCP server for the clients.

This Ubiquiti forum post has the recommendation of using an Edgerouter-X and an AP (you can use a UAP-AC-Lite). Both of these devices are relatively inexpensive and their setup is not much different than that of setting up with internet; you just don’t wire up any uplink to a network with internet access.

As an aside, I recommend you get the specifications of the scales to see if they support 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz, then only use one on the AP at the lowest power output that the scales can detect. Of course, set up security/encryption (provided the scales support it) and utilize an open channel. Reasons: these scales aren’t moving, the amount of data they’re going to be transmitting is small, keeps the antenna signal within the shop, reduces interference with other WiFi networks in the area.

I did confirm that there will be no internet access. The scales will be communicating with a computer with the scale software installed.

Awesome, that is what I was thinking but just wanted to confirm.  

This is what you are referring too? I can just use this?

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-LITE-802-11ac-Gigabit-Dual-Radio/dp/B01DRM6MLI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ubiquiti+network+unifi+802.11ac+dual+radio+pro&qid=1614960191&sr=8-1

12 minutes ago, Muleworx said:

I did confirm that there will be no internet access. The scales will be communicating with a computer with the scale software installed.

Awesome, that is what I was thinking but just wanted to confirm.  

This is what you are referring too? I can just use this?

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-LITE-802-11ac-Gigabit-Dual-Radio/dp/B01DRM6MLI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ubiquiti+network+unifi+802.11ac+dual+radio+pro&qid=1614960191&sr=8-1

Yea that will work fine. What other devices are connected to the network, what will be your dhcp server?

Id probably just make a subnet on your main network for the scales, and just disable internet access for this network. Whats the router for internet connected things? Most small buiness grade stuff supports multiple subnets and ssids.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea that will work fine. What other devices are connected to the network, what will be your dhcp server?

Id probably just make a subnet on your main network for the scales, and just disable internet access for this network. Whats the router for internet connected things? Most small buiness grade stuff supports multiple subnets and ssids.

Thank you Electronics Wizardy,

It will only be the 3 scales and a laptop on the network. The IPs will statically be assigned. Am I better off with just a router?
From my understanding there is no ISP on site at least not yet. 

Sorry getting confused between router and AP for this setup.

6 minutes ago, Muleworx said:

Thank you Electronics Wizardy,

It will only be the 3 scales and a laptop on the network. The IPs will statically be assigned. Am I better off with just a router?
From my understanding there is no ISP on site at least not yet. 

Sorry getting confused between router and AP for this setup.

Since the ips are static no need to a dhcp server, one of those aps will work fine here.

ROuter will also work here, just don't use the wan port. You can probably get a real cheap one.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Since the ips are static no need to a dhcp server, one of those aps will work fine here.

ROuter will also work here, just don't use the wan port. You can probably get a real cheap one.

Thank you again!