Need advice on upgrading my pc.

looking for advice on what to upgrade next for my pc. a friend built mine. 

• motherboard- Asrock bb460 phantom
  • CPU- Intel i5 10400f
  • GPU- RTX 2060 ko
  • Memory/Ram- Adata xpg rgb 16gbs ddr 3200mhz (2x8)
  • storage- aSSENNO 500GB SSD
  • PSU- power supply - seasonic 550w bronze 80+
  • CPU cooler- deepcool gammaxx gt bk
  • the case has built-in fans
  • advice on what is most important to upgrade next.

have a 1080p 165hz curved monitor.

mostly play total war warhammer and looking forward to darktide.

or recommendations on what to prioritise first when upgrading. 

Welcome!

What performance issue are you having that's leading you to want to upgrade? Are you wanting to go higher resolution? Higher refresh rate? Are you not hitting your target refresh rate? Something else?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

not really having performance issues. was just wondering if i were to upgrade what would be the best to do first.  still new to the pc so i got this nagging feeling i cant play most pc games as i always see youtuber with their over the top pc and people making pc with potatoes.

13 minutes ago, r0bin116 said:

not really having performance issues. was just wondering if i were to upgrade what would be the best to do first.  still new to the pc so i got this nagging feeling i cant play most pc games as i always see youtuber with their over the top pc and people making pc with potatoes.

Make sure to quote folks so they know you replied 🙂

I always recommend people upgrade with purpose, otherwise more often than not you'll waste money by going too high-end for your goals/needs. This is furthered by the Youtubers as you pointed out liking to showcase super high-end builds that might not make sense for most people.

Bottom line, if you're happy with the performance right now on the games you play then you have no need to upgrade. Save the money.

But, based on your specs, generally speaking I'd probably upgrade the CPU first since it's a more entry-level offering. If you want to try CPU overclocking with a k-SKU chips you'd need to move to a different chipset (new motherboard) so there would be added cost there. If no OC plans then the current board is fine. A beefier CPU (like a 10600 or 10700) would then be good for multiple GPU upgrades down the road as a decent CPU doesn't seem to drop in performance on newer games as much as a GPU does (huge generalization here, but lots of folks are still running 4/5/6 gen Intel chips as an example and getting by okay).

GPU would be second, especially if you plan to stay at 1080p as the 2060 is probably fine there. Again, this depends on the frames rates you're currently getting, but generally speaking the 2060 is probably not as limiting as the CPU right now. What are your GPU and CPU utilization percentages like right now? That would help.

Alternatively, if you wanted to jump to something like 1440p (especially if it's 144/165 Hz) then I'd probably reverse that and upgrade the GPU first. Again, this kind reiterates why you need a goal in mind when upgrading.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

9 minutes ago, r0bin116 said:

since you have a newer i5 if you were to somehow get one of the new GPUS the PSU would be a decent upgrade. otherwise if you plan to keep running 1080p and just keep playing warhammer the only thing I would ultimately upgrade first is the CPU as higher core counts and clockspeeds should benefit you seeing warhammer is a grand strategy game with lots of models characters all out in the field at the same time. 

35 minutes ago, r0bin116 said:

The problem is your system is pretty well balanced. The weakest point is the gpu but those are both difficult to get atm and woul likely require a PSU change and possibly a monitor change to go with it.  Your cpu is reasonably fast 6/12, and it is currently unknown if more will be needed even in the next five years or so.  Almost certainly not in the next year.   Upgrading the cpu would require a motherboard swap which would also beg a memory update.  More or less anything you do would be a major thing because of interdependencies. It’s a modern system that will game fine.  The monitor is not mentioned but may be important.  If you’re running a 1080p@60 monitor for example you could easily update it, but if you’re running 4k@120 it would be pointless. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

If you play at 1080p, you should be able to have stable 60fps with that system in pretty much any game right now on high/ultra settings. 

Unless you absolutely must run games at 4k or something excessive like that, I would postpone upgrading if I were you. Hardware prices are ridiculous right now and will be for some time. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, r0bin116 said:

looking for advice on what to upgrade next for my pc. a friend built mine. 

• motherboard- Asrock bb460 phantom
  • CPU- Intel i5 10400f
  • GPU- RTX 2060 ko
  • Memory/Ram- Adata xpg rgb 16gbs ddr 3200mhz (2x8)
  • storage- aSSENNO 500GB SSD
  • PSU- power supply - seasonic 550w bronze 80+
  • CPU cooler- deepcool gammaxx gt bk
  • the case has built-in fans
  • advice on what is most important to upgrade next.

have a 1080p 165hz curved monitor.

mostly play total war warhammer and looking forward to darktide.

or recommendations on what to prioritise first when upgrading. 

No major upgrades you can do rn, about a year down the line if you have a budget for around 500 usd a 3060ti + a new PSU would be a nice upgrade.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570