Problem with running cloud games with Hyper-V VM

Hi everyone, 

Just joined the Discord server last week and this week is first time on the LTT forum. Hopefully someone can help me out for my VM problem.

I am trying to see if I can use VM (Hyper-V specifically) as a secondary gaming pc. Obviously I know the performance won't be the same but the issue I am encountering with does not seems to be caused by performance.
I am trying to play Stadia games (ie. cloud gaming). When I open Destiny 2 on Stadia, graphic is fine, keyboard input also seems fine, loading speed also appears normal. However, the mouse always skips.

If I try to move my mouse from left to right (or any other direction) at a constant speed, the curser will be moving as intended for the first 1/4 of the screen. Then suddenly will skip to the right most position. Even if I put the mouse to the left, it will still continued the curser motion for a second before it starts moving to the left and repeating the same problem.

The confusing part is that the mouse does not have this problem when I am just on the windows desktop. Problem only happens when I am in the game. 

I searched Google and someone suggested it might be the pulling rate of the mouse defaulted to 1000Hz or something. I checked my mouse and it was only at 60Hz. My mouse also does not have any DPI adjustment setting.

Anyone know what could be the issue and how to fix it?

Thanks

I don't know if you can do this on hyper-v but if you can pass a USB controller through to the VM then you can get the native performance.

The KVM function really isn't meant for gaming.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I don't know if you can do this on hyper-v but if you can pass a USB controller through to the VM then you can get the native performance.

The KVM function really isn't meant for gaming.

I haven't try to use a controller via USB pass through yet. So don't know if a controller will have the same issue. 

But part of me wanting to try this is because the fact that Stadia basically doesn't use much of the PC's resource so I am interested to see if it is possible. It is very promising as long as I can solve the mouse issue. 

ps. I will eventually want to see if it will be possible to dedicate a completely separate mouse and keyboard to the VM so I can potentially have 2 people playing on the same PC. if mouse and keyboard can't be completely separated, maybe a separate controller. 

VMs usually emulate a mouse as an absolute pointing device instead of a relative difference device (which a real mouse is). Basically, you're trying to game with something like a Wacom tablet (or a touchscreen and only one finger). Try either passing a USB hub or a mouse through to the VM so it has a real mouse.

8 minutes ago, Trinopoty said:

VMs usually emulate a mouse as an absolute pointing device instead of a relative difference device (which a real mouse is). Basically, you're trying to game with something like a Wacom tablet (or a touchscreen and only one finger). Try either passing a USB hub or a mouse through to the VM so it has a real mouse.

I am new to VM, but what I don't understand is if the problem is because USB not being passthrough directly, why would it still function correctly on windows desktop?

48 minutes ago, StarSight said:

I am new to VM, but what I don't understand is if the problem is because USB not being passthrough directly, why would it still function correctly on windows desktop?

The VM basically does weird stuff with the mouse to create an illusion of a real mouse. When inside the viewport of the VM, it's not windows rendering the mouse, it's the VM client doing that. It then passes data about clicks and such to windows. You can break the illusion by moving the mouse outside of the viewport. The mouse disappears when you do this but an actual mouse attached to your PC can't move outside of the screen.

Inside games, the mechanism VMs use to handle the mouse breaks down and it starts acting like how it's implemented (a touchscreen).

1 hour ago, StarSight said:

I haven't try to use a controller via USB pass through yet. So don't know if a controller will have the same issue. 

But part of me wanting to try this is because the fact that Stadia basically doesn't use much of the PC's resource so I am interested to see if it is possible. It is very promising as long as I can solve the mouse issue. 

ps. I will eventually want to see if it will be possible to dedicate a completely separate mouse and keyboard to the VM so I can potentially have 2 people playing on the same PC. if mouse and keyboard can't be completely separated, maybe a separate controller. 

Have you treied using software like parsec? Then having anouthe computer remote into the vm?

ALso if your goal is to just have multiple gamers on on pc, look at softwarel like aster, that lets you have multiple users on one pc with out vms.

7 minutes ago, Trinopoty said:

The VM basically does weird stuff with the mouse to create an illusion of a real mouse. When inside the viewport of the VM, it's not windows rendering the mouse, it's the VM client doing that. It then passes data about clicks and such to windows. You can break the illusion by moving the mouse outside of the viewport. The mouse disappears when you do this but an actual mouse attached to your PC can't move outside of the screen.

Inside games, the mechanism VMs use to handle the mouse breaks down and it starts acting like how it's implemented (a touchscreen).

Thanks for the detail explanation. This makes a lot of sense and also make sense why a USB passthrough can solve this problem. I will give it a try!

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Have you treied using software like parsec? Then having anouthe computer remote into the vm?

ALso if your goal is to just have multiple gamers on on pc, look at softwarel like aster, that lets you have multiple users on one pc with out vms.

The reason to do this is because I currently only have one PC with decent spec. which I use myself. However, everyone once a while my wife will join me to play some games. Rather than building a completely new PC, I was hoping to share some of the resource from existing PC to run 2 games separately. And whenever she is not playing, I can put that resource back into as a single PC.

I had looked into Parsec before, but it does not offer me the "single PC two gamers" solution I am looking for. I think Parsec is basically offloading the heavy lifting from your own PC to their server. 

49 minutes ago, StarSight said:

The reason to do this is because I currently only have one PC with decent spec. which I use myself. However, everyone once a while my wife will join me to play some games. Rather than building a completely new PC, I was hoping to share some of the resource from existing PC to run 2 games separately. And whenever she is not playing, I can put that resource back into as a single PC.

I had looked into Parsec before, but it does not offer me the "single PC two gamers" solution I am looking for. I think Parsec is basically offloading the heavy lifting from your own PC to their server. 

Try using aster, lets you have 2 users on one pc without vms.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try using aster, lets you have 2 users on one pc without vms.

Maybe I clicked the wrong website. Because the website I found on google got blocked by my antimalware for trojan when I open it. 

Can you send me the correct link?

4 minutes ago, StarSight said:

Maybe I clicked the wrong website. Because the website I found on google got blocked by my antimalware for trojan when I open it. 

Can you send me the correct link?

Here it is https://www.ibik.ru/

36 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Here it is https://www.ibik.ru/

yeah, this is the website that got blocked. based on reddit it does seems like something that can do what I am describing. But not going to bypass my antimalware to try it.

1 minute ago, StarSight said:

yeah, this is the website that got blocked. based on reddit it does seems like something that can do what I am describing. But not going to bypass my antimalware to try it.

It looks like a false alarm, Id try the software anyways. Antimalware gets things wrong pretty often, esp when its just a website.

BUt windows really isn't great at the vms thing, best way is to run linux on the host and use that. What are the sepcs of your pc?

BUt getting a second pc is often cheaper and easier, so thats what id do here

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

It looks like a false alarm, Id try the software anyways. Antimalware gets things wrong pretty often, esp when its just a website.

BUt windows really isn't great at the vms thing, best way is to run linux on the host and use that. What are the sepcs of your pc?

BUt getting a second pc is often cheaper and easier, so thats what id do here

i5 10600k, 2070 super, nvme ssd.

Yeah, I been asking around for a few days now. It does not seem like there is too many solution for what I am trying to do that is actually cheaper than buying a second PC. That will always be an option but just want to put that as a plan B until I have tried everything I could. 

Just now, StarSight said:

i5 10600k, 2070 super, nvme ssd.

Yeah, I been asking around for a few days now. It does not seem like there is too many solution for what I am trying to do that is actually cheaper than buying a second PC. That will always be an option but just want to put that as a plan B until I have tried everything I could. 

Give aster a try, its the best option without having to buy new hardware, or reinstall the os and make lots of chnages to the software.

What board?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Give aster a try, its the best option without having to buy new hardware, or reinstall the os and make lots of chnages to the software.

What board?

Z490 Asus strix

2 minutes ago, StarSight said:

Z490 Asus strix

Passthough should work with a second gpu, but you would want linux on the host to use KVM. Id just try aster first, and get a second pc if that doesn't work.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Passthough should work with a second gpu, but you would want linux on the host to use KVM. Id just try aster first, and get a second pc if that doesn't work.

So in addition to the USB pass through, I should also install a second GPU plus use GPU passthrough for the secondary GPU? Going to Linux is probably my plan C since I never used it before.

1 minute ago, StarSight said:

So in addition to the USB pass through, I should also install a second GPU plus use GPU passthrough for the secondary GPU? Going to Linux is probably my plan C since I never used it before.

Yup, you will need 2 gpus for 2 users with vms with passthough, preferably a third low end one as well for the host os. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yup, you will need 2 gpus for 2 users with vms with passthough, preferably a third low end one as well for the host os. 

I was actually thinking of using host + VM as my 2 users rather than user x 2. That still works I assume? There is no security risk for my case cause I am literally doing this at home only.