Hard drive always running on 100%

Rob_c

So I've had this issue with my hard drive (Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB) where it will run on 100% usage constantly, this can be with a single chrome tab and steam open for instance.

Whats more is that when i play particularly demanding games with friends ie. Warzone i have to mess with discord priorities in order for discord to not disconnect me from the call (not literally but it stops me from hearing my mates or my microphone sending my voice back). It is very frustrating as my system should be able to handle warzone on low settings or just other games in general without being slow and getting frame drops in theory so i wondered whether i should upgrade my hard drive to an ssd or if it is some other problem i didnt notice. Games like Eu4 for instance take like 5 minutes to load and discord can be over 20 seconds easily. The wierd part is that when i've run userbenchmark to see if my harddrive is running poorly that always says it is good which is very confusing. Another problem i have is if i play games hosted on a local server i presume (fifa with a friend, smash bros with someone on my friends list that type of thing) i get terrible connection even though im playing with someone no more than 5 miles away from me. My internet has a decent download/upload and is one of the better packages in my area and I can play random people who are presumably a lot further away and the connection is fine so if anyone has any clue on why that occurs i would be extremely grateful though i'd guess thats more an isp issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My system is this

intel i5-7400

Nvidia GTX 1660 super

Toshiba DT01ACA200 2 TB

Corsair vengeance DDR4 3200 2x8gb

8 minutes ago, Rob_c said:

So I've had this issue with my hard drive (Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB) where it will run on 100% usage constantly, this can be with a single chrome tab and steam open for instance.

Whats more is that when i play particularly demanding games with friends ie. Warzone i have to mess with discord priorities in order for discord to not disconnect me from the call (not literally but it stops me from hearing my mates or my microphone sending my voice back). It is very frustrating as my system should be able to handle warzone on low settings or just other games in general without being slow and getting frame drops in theory so i wondered whether i should upgrade my hard drive to an ssd or if it is some other problem i didnt notice. Games like Eu4 for instance take like 5 minutes to load and discord can be over 20 seconds easily. The wierd part is that when i've run userbenchmark to see if my harddrive is running poorly that always says it is good which is very confusing. Another problem i have is if i play games hosted on a local server i presume (fifa with a friend, smash bros with someone on my friends list that type of thing) i get terrible connection even though im playing with someone no more than 5 miles away from me. My internet has a decent download/upload and is one of the better packages in my area and I can play random people who are presumably a lot further away and the connection is fine so if anyone has any clue on why that occurs i would be extremely grateful though i'd guess thats more an isp issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My system is this

intel i5-7400

Nvidia GTX 1660 super

Toshiba DT01ACA200 2 TB

1st of all, definitely get an SSD.. a 128gb is enough for the OS and programs like Chrome, Discord, Steam, etc.. (they are also very cheap) 

2nd of all, is this set to 0 Minutes? If yes, i have mine at 20.. that will fix your issue

Screenshot_4.png.d7ba2ab399e82f02a73a2c7d8d86f683.png

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

7 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Is the OS installed on the hard drive? 

Yeah i presume so, the hard drive is the only storage i got on there

6 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

1st of all, definitely get an SSD.. a 128gb is enough for the OS and programs like Chrome, Discord, Steam, etc.. (they are also very cheap) 

2nd of all, is this set to 0 Minutes? If yes, i have mine at 20.. that will fix your issue

That's only a useful option if the drive isn't being used, If his OS is on the drive then its constantly in use and will never shutdown. 

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

That's only a useful option if the drive isn't being used, If his OS is on the drive then its constantly in use and will never shutdown. 

Oh you're right, holy shit how havent i realized that.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

3 minutes ago, Rob_c said:

Yeah i presume so, the hard drive is the only storage i got on there

Well yeah pretty normal then windows 10 isn't really optimized anymore to run on a hdd a simple ssd upgrade would fix it. (of course the os needs to be on the ssd then). Those loading times are normal when windows in on the hdd too. Without it it will be faster but still long as well hdds are simply put kinda slow.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Well yeah pretty normal then windows 10 isn't really optimized anymore to run on a hdd a simple ssd upgrade would fix it. (of course the os needs to be on the ssd then).

Ok thanks, if i got an ssd do you think it would fix the issues related to discord not working with warzone? Also are there any specific ssd's you would reccomend, i'm not looking to spend loads if possible.

Just now, Rob_c said:

Ok thanks, if i got an ssd do you think it would fix the issues related to discord not working with warzone? Also are there any specific ssd's you would reccomend, i'm not looking to spend loads if possible.

It will be a bit better but warzone runs pretty badly on quad core cpu's so still won't be great. A regular wd blue, mx500 or wd sn550 if you want a nvme drive of at least 256gb capacity should be nice. You will have to put windows on the ssd to see a change tho.

2 hours ago, Rob_c said:

My system is this

intel i5-7400

Nvidia GTX 1660 super

Toshiba DT01ACA200 2 TB

Definitely get an SSD for a boot drive. It will save you much hassle as well as they are affordable now days. Stick with 256GB and below. Also use resource monitor to see what is pulling the most. Depending on how long you have been using the drive it may have some excess fat to trim.

-= Topic moved to Troubleshooting =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

getting an ssd is a short cut answer. although it would be a great upgrade.

I would recommend you try following this  guide first.

if it does help or don't feel like going through the steps. just a clean install of windows should do the trick.

14 hours ago, jaslion said:

It will be a bit better but warzone runs pretty badly on quad core cpu's so still won't be great. A regular wd blue, mx500 or wd sn550 if you want a nvme drive of at least 256gb capacity should be nice. You will have to put windows on the ssd to see a change tho.

After opening up my pc i found i don't have any m.2 slots on my motherboard (asus h110 micro or something of that nature). Should i look to get a sata ssd instead and would that fit fine in my pc?

4 hours ago, Rob_c said:

After opening up my pc i found i don't have any m.2 slots on my motherboard (asus h110 micro or something of that nature). Should i look to get a sata ssd instead and would that fit fine in my pc?

Sure go for a sata drive. Will it fit? Idk what your case is but it's a ssd that thing can just be hooked up to data and power and just chill in mid air for all it cares. The mx500 and wd blue are both excellent and affordable options. My tip is to get as large as you can.