Is an (Some type of CPU) good for a Minecraft Server

Hi I know CPUs and RAM are the main part of the Minecraft server. (Because Minecraft uses your CPU for graphics more than your GPU.) Here is a list of CPUs (AMD, Intel, and some GPUs for the AMD products.)

(All CPUs would have 32gb - 128gb of RAM, and would be used on a Distribution of a Linux Kernel or Windows 10 Pro.)

• Intel Core i9 10900K Dual (or none dual) or Intel Core i9 9900K Dual (or none dual)
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (Maybe Dual) w/ some GPU
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950x w/ some GPU

Listing more soon.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:44 PM, LinusTech said:

I hate SagoDEFCON

lists mean nothing if you don't provide sources to back up the claims. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

As I understand it the Mine-craft server software is very single threaded meaning for a given number of players the higher the single threaded performance the better.

Iirc Minecraft uses single core a lot, so you should probably go for the 5950X.

Two things though:

• You can't do dual ryzen or core i9 CPUs, those features are usually limited to server CPUs
  • You probably don't need that much unless you're hosting a huge server

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

lists mean nothing if you don't provide sources to back up the claims. 

I think OP is making a list of CPUs they are considering and asking for input, rather than listing CPUs they would recommend to other people.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

The strategy that worked best for me is to disable all but 2 cores, then overclock until you're spent.

I'm using a Phenom II X4 955, and with 4 cores, I could only get 3.95 GHz, but with 2 cores (one for server, one for OS), I could get 4.4.

I then used a 3D Rage II +DVD (from the Windows 98 days) as my display output since it ignores GPU power.

So far it seems to be working well.

elephants

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

I think OP is making a list of CPUs they are considering and asking for input, rather than listing CPUs they would recommend to other people.

Not the way I am understanding it personally. Seems more like a list of what CPUs he is stating are the best for the servers. At least, thats my interpretation of it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Not the way I am understanding it personally. Seems more like a list of what CPUs he is stating are the best for the servers. At least, thats my interpretation of it. 

Kinda, but I'm just saying I seen those CPUs or would use those CPUs for a server.

I hate SagoDEFCON

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Iirc Minecraft uses single core a lot, so you should probably go for the 5950X.

Two things though:

• You can't do dual ryzen or core i9 CPUs, those features are usually limited to server CPUs
  • You probably don't need that much unless you're hosting a huge server

Linus used two Intel Core i9 9900k each CPU on one motherboard.

I hate SagoDEFCON

Just now, SagoDEFCON said:

Linus used two Intel Core i9 9900k each CPU on one motherboard.

No, he used 2 separate Mini-ITX motherboards.

Go watch the video again.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

No, he used 2 separate Mini-ITX motherboards.

Go watch the video again.

I mean't 1 CPU on 1 Motherboard.

I hate SagoDEFCON

Just now, SagoDEFCON said:

I mean't 1 CPU on 1 Motherboard.

Oh, ok.

The way you phrased it sounded like you meant 2 CPUs on 1 motherboard, which isn't possible with the Core series or Ryzen.
Afaik only Xeons support multi-CPU.

elephants

43 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Oh, ok.

The way you phrased it sounded like you meant 2 CPUs on 1 motherboard, which isn't possible with the Core series or Ryzen.
Afaik only Xeons support multi-CPU.

only certain xeons support multi cpu i believe... workstation W series are single socket... L/X and E series are multi-socket.