CPU "stuck" clocking around .53 GHz

maritimegecko45
Go to solution Solved by maritimegecko45,

Replaced My Motherboard and the problem was solved

My CPU is showing as running at 0.53 GHz in task manager and in the BIOS and the utilization in task manager never passes 14%. This all started when I switched cases (VELKA 7) and got a new CPU Cooler (NH-L9a). I have double checked the CPU power cables to make sure they are all the way in, and I reset all my bios settings to default. CPU and chipset drivers are updated to the most recent version.

I am running Windows 10, 64-bit, Version 20H2

Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-I Gaming, CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600x GPU: MSI Armor RX 580 (8 GB) RAM: Corsair Vengeance lpx 16x2 gb 3200mhz PSU: NZXT S650 80+ Gold Storage: SK Hynix Gold 1TB 

BIOS Version: 1407 x64

No known crashes

No critical errors in Event Viewer

Did you peel off the sticker that is on the cooler? You'll find that on the contact point that goes to the CPU.

33 minutes ago, maritimegecko45 said:

My CPU is showing as running at 0.53 GHz in task manager and in the BIOS and the utilization in task manager never passes 14%. This all started when I switched cases (VELKA 7) and got a new CPU Cooler (NH-L9a). I have double checked the CPU power cables to make sure they are all the way in, and I reset all my bios settings to default. CPU and chipset drivers are updated to the most recent version.

I am running Windows 10, 64-bit, Version 20H2

Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-I Gaming, CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600x GPU: MSI Armor RX 580 (8 GB) RAM: Corsair Vengeance lpx 16x2 gb 3200mhz PSU: NZXT S650 80+ Gold Storage: SK Hynix Gold 1TB 

BIOS Version: 1407 x64

No known crashes

No critical errors in Event Viewer

Were you just idling? If you were it's likely the CPU just downclocked because it wasn't under stress. Try launching say, cinnebench r23 and look at the speeds again.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

5 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Were you just idling? If you were it's likely the CPU just downclocked because it wasn't under stress. Try launching say, cinnebench r23 and look at the speeds again.

Couldnt get cinnebench to start the test but when starting minecraft my cpu usage caps at 14% 

Screenshot 2021-02-26 174137.png

1 hour ago, RandomPcGamer357 said:

Did you peel off the sticker that is on the cooler? You'll find that on the contact point that goes to the CPU.

ummm... I don't remember doing that Ill check

There was no film/sticker on the cooler or the cpu

1 hour ago, SGT-AMD said:

Need to know the temps when idle and when running something like memtest

at idle I get 35-36 degrees Celsius and under "load" (it only gets up to 14% usage no matter what I do) I get 37-38 degrees Celsius 

5 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

Did you check the heatsink?

What do you mean? I checked to make sure there was no film on the psu and the fan is spinning at 1200 rpm

14 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

No film on the psu?...He was talking aout the sticker on the bottom of the heatsink for the cpu.

Shot in the dark: Shut off all power management in the o/s and in the bios.

That was I typo I meant the film on the heat sink of the cpu 

• 2 weeks later...