Is 6GB of RAM enough in coming years?

milutin_miki

i.e. how much RAM to choose for future-proofing.

I'm a semi-heavy smartphone user, non-gamer. Main question is, will 6GB of RAM on a new phone be enough to smoothly last for 3 years? I have an option to buy 8GB config at lesser known online seller, compared to 6GB at a more known seller (30€ difference).

What's your opinion? Generally, how much RAM should someone have for smooth usage in the next few years? I've been (a bit painfully) using a 3GB phone for 2 full years.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 340
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7400 series

If you can get 8GB do it, but not at the cost of other components make sure that you are not losing out on the rest of your components esp. the CPU and battery.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

But lots of RAM are useless when the SoC is rather weak.

7 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

the CPU and battery.

I'm aware of what you two are talking about and thanks for the opinion. It's the S20 FE (4G version I think), I found some really good deals. As far as I'm aware, it's the Exynos version.

Specs:

I'm super happy with my Motorola running android 10 with 4GB of memory.... I use it not for mobile gaming, but a power user I probably am.... its got a 60hz screen and that was fine for me, at 300USD it was a great deal. honestly, I'm hesitant to get a new phone because I might not like it as much and this thing is indestructible. 

1 minute ago, milutin_miki said:

I'm aware of what you two are talking about and thanks for the opinion. It's the S20 FE (4G version I think), I found some really good deals. As far as I'm aware, it's the Exynos version.

The S20FE is a great phone, however, if you at all can, get the snapdragon variant. Better battery, better performance, a better all around chip.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

3 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I'm super happy with my Motorola running android 10 with 4GB of memory.... I use it not for mobile gaming, but a power user I probably am.... its got a 60hz screen and that was fine for me, at 300USD it was a great deal. honestly, I'm hesitant to get a new phone because I might not like it as much and this thing is indestructible. 

I am personally am still rocking a LG V30 from 2017. Works better than most mid-rangers out there.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

3 minutes ago, milutin_miki said:

If the difference is the Exynos and Snapdragon. You will probably be better off with Snapdragon.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, birdflyer said:

I am personally still rocking a LG V30 from 2017. Works better than most mid-rangers out there.

I got my V20 and it's still doing pretty well. And at this point I have not intention of upgrading based off of the current market.

1 minute ago, birdflyer said:

The S20FE is a great phone, however, if you at all can, get the snapdragon variant. Better battery, better performance, a better all around chip.

I found multiple deals for less than 500€ and coming from a sub-200€ phone, I'm completely fine with Exynos. In my market, it's really tricky to choose. To find a SD option is, if possible to find, quite more expencive.

Specs:

Considering that my oneplusone is basically as snappy as it was 7 years ago with 3gb of ram running on a android 10 rom and runs pretty darn great on a unfinished android 11 rom too I'd say 6gb is gonna be more than fine.

11 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I got my V20 and it's still doing pretty well. And at this point I have not intention of upgrading based off of the current market.

Agreed, until I can afford the LG V60, V70, (if they release it) or Velvet, I am sticking with the V30. I do need to load a custom ROM on it though, android 9 is getting a bit dated at this point.

Yep. My last 2 phones have been 6GB ram (Android) but in 3 years... probably not enough, unless they switch to newer technology RAM in which case having the newer tech will be better than more RAM

Just now, DriftMan said:

You browsing semi-hard the social media? Otherwise, I don't understand the semi-heavy thing

Considering you can still do fine with 4GB of RAM, I'd be more interested in a phone with an unlocked bootloader and with the possibility of flashing a custom ROM if needed

I use a lot of apps, but no gaming. I multitatsk very often and use my phone a lot. For my needs I need a phone to run smoothly practically always.

Specs:

Yes, enough for 2 years.

3? Maybe, maybe not. 

But for most apps you don't really have a reason to be using too much RAM.

Cuz hey, its android 😄

Reminder 

The IIA rule applies here:

I'm mostly speaking from experience so what I say may not work

I may be a complete asshole in some threads but I swear that I won't lie

Anyways, I am always glad to help

Just now, DriftMan said:

Well you probably want something well supported by XDA or LineageOS, like OnePlus, Xiaomi or Pixel

Or LG

1 minute ago, DriftMan said:

Well you probably want something well supported by XDA or LineageOS, like OnePlus, Xiaomi or Pixel

Xiaomi is relatively expencive in my region and I don't like their offerings much. OnePlus and Pixel are either unavailable or very expencive (imported). I've researched a lot and S20 FE is what I really need, especially at this price (430€ for 6/128 or 460€ for 8/128)

Specs:

Just now, milutin_miki said:

Xiaomi is relatively expencive in my region and I don't like their offerings much. OnePlus and Pixel are either unavailable or very expencive (imported). I've researched a lot and S20 FE is what I really need, especially at this price (430€ for 6/128 or 460€ for 8/128)

From what I hear, the S20FE is a great phone. 😀

2 hours ago, DriftMan said:

Wasn't LG going to stop releasing smartphones?

LOL no.

They just have made great phones with no stand-out features lately so they don't get that much press. They are currently thriving in the ultra budget phones at the moment while their mid-tear phones are doing almost as well.

As far as flagships go, well, not sure on that one.

6 minutes ago, DriftMan said:

Although yes, there are many articles about the possibility of LG removing them selves from the mobile phone department (it is possible) these are all roomers based on the assumptions of people outside of LG looking on the the falling popularity of their flagship smartphones.

Also a couple of these articles suggested that no new phones by LG would be released in 2021 (these articles were released in January) when just three days ago LG announced a new "W" line-up of smartphones. Maybe in 2022? Even then, it would mostly be the cutting of their flagship models. 

The main reason this was brought up in the first place though is custom ROM support. Being that many tech enthusiasts love LG phones, many custom ROMs have indeed been released and continue to be released.

I have a Xiaomi Mi Max 3 (SD 636, 64/4GB version) and I find nothing wrong with it, though admittedly, it does lack slightly when I close many tabs as I use it as a manga reader, for surfing the net, and general media consumption. 4GB is fine IF you're not a heavy user like gaming, or running many apps/tasks simultaneously, but I'd say 4GB is the absolute minimum for a relatively fuss free usage experience.

I say this even as a user of both a 512/8GB Note 10+ (Exynos 9825) and 256/12GB Z Fold 2 (SD 865+) user, with the latter as my main phone. Yes, the Mi Max 3 isn't as fast as either of these but I have no complaint with regards to its performance. Of course, if you can find a 6GB RAM (or higher) phone at an acceptable price tag, why not?

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2021 at 8:19 AM, DriftMan said:

Wasn't LG going to stop releasing smartphones?

You were (and so were news agencies) right, and now I am crying my heart out. 😥

R.I.P. LG Mobile 2009-2021

Yeah, was pretty upset at the news of their bowing out of the smartphone market, became a big fan of theirs  when I got their LV V20, followed by G6  (awesome Quad Dac). I was personally looking forward to their rollable phone expected out later this year, so that's a dream dashed. Will always have fond memories of their phones....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Oopsy, double posted this %^$#@ message!

For daily use, maybe

For gaming, no

If you already have money to buy a 6G RAM phone, why not just add a couple dollars and upgrade to 8G…