Searching for another NAS

Hey guys, how are you doing?

I'm looking to buy another NAS (Synology) for my syster and i, i already have a DS1817+(awesome NAS) but i'm going to need another one.

I've heard about a few of them, such as:

Synology DS420J

Synology DS418Play

Synology DS418

Synology DS918+

My questions are, the 420J is actually cheap, but can it handle 2 streaming at 4k simultaneously? 

"Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave birth to time and space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that set a planet spinning in that space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave rise to life as we know it... And then came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last"

"... To see the world in a grain of sand. Heaven in a wild flower

Hold infinite in the palm of your hand.  And eternity in an hour ..."

PC: 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.3GHz 1.3875v Motherboard: AsRock X470 Taichi (BIOS: Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABB) RAM: 4x8GB(32) 3200MHzCL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: NZXT Hydro X72 360mm Case: NZXT Phantom 820 PSU: Corsair TX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1909 / OS Build: )

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

41 minutes ago, GabrielLP14 said:

Hey guys, how are you doing?

I'm looking to buy another NAS (Synology) for my syster and i, i already have a DS1817+(awesome NAS) but i'm going to need another one.

I've heard about a few of them, such as:

Synology DS420J

Synology DS418Play

Synology DS418

Synology DS918+

My questions are, the 420J is actually cheap, but can it handle 2 streaming at 4k simultaneously? 

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS420j#specs

With the CPU decoding video? No. But streaming the 4K file over an SMB share, yeah, the bottleneck would be ethernet depending on compression ratio of the 4K file. In theory, should be able to nearly saturate 1gbp/s via file streaming over SMB.

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS420j#specs

With the CPU decoding video? No. But streaming the 4K file over an SMB share, yeah, the bottleneck would be ethernet depending on compression ratio of the 4K file. In theory, should be able to nearly saturate 1gbp/s via file streaming over SMB.

I see, which model would you recommend me instead, if it can handle 1 4k transmission (would be probable mostly a 1080p though) i'm happy with it

"Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave birth to time and space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that set a planet spinning in that space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave rise to life as we know it... And then came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last"

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.3GHz 1.3875v Motherboard: AsRock X470 Taichi (BIOS: Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABB) RAM: 4x8GB(32) 3200MHzCL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: NZXT Hydro X72 360mm Case: NZXT Phantom 820 PSU: Corsair TX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1909 / OS Build: )

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

1 hour ago, GabrielLP14 said:

I see, which model would you recommend me instead, if it can handle 1 4k transmission (would be probable mostly a 1080p though) i'm happy with it

DO you need transcoding? How are you playing the 4k file? It can easily stream 4k over smb, but its not gonna trasncsode it. Also what codecs?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

DO you need transcoding? How are you playing the 4k file? It can easily stream 4k over smb, but its not gonna trasncsode it. Also what codecs?

Not necessarily, at the moment i have a 10 gig switch with a 10Gbps lan in my nas, but my internet connection is "240Mbps" (i live in a small town)

At the moment i was playing in my DS1817 using X264 / X265

i don't mind using SMB, but i fear it might cause a battleneck in the 1Gbps connection on the NAS.(DS420J)

NOTEBOOK:

It really all comes down to whether transcoding is required. 

So depends on the source format and the device you're playing it on. 

It won't have the CPU power to transcode 4k for playback. But it will play fine if no transcoding is required. 

If you want to go ahead with the cheaper model, best to make sure the files you source are in the appropriate format for the end device or convert them beforehand. 

7 hours ago, DogKnight said:

It really all comes down to whether transcoding is required. 

So depends on the source format and the device you're playing it on. 

It won't have the CPU power to transcode 4k for playback. But it will play fine if no transcoding is required. 

If you want to go ahead with the cheaper model, best to make sure the files you source are in the appropriate format for the end device or convert them beforehand. 

they'll probably be mp4 using X264

NOTEBOOK:

On 3/4/2021 at 9:11 PM, GabrielLP14 said:

they'll probably be mp4 using X264

As *most* devices will play x264 MP4 files just fine natively, there shouldn't be any need for transcoding so a cheaper model should be fine. 
If you want to be safe though, go for a 'Play' model. 
A handy explanation of Synology naming conventions stolen from the site 'Dong Knows Tech: dongknows.com'. 

"The ending letters/characters in a Synology NAS server’s name

This part shows the series a server:

• SE: An entry-level server with the lowest hardware specs. It’s affordable but suitable only for basic needs.
  • J: The next level from SE with decent hardware but still quite weak in terms of performance and features.
  • Play: A server focused on home entertainment. Its hardware prioritizes photos, movies, and music over other functions. A Play server is always capable of 4K transcoding.
  • Plus (+): A high-end server that can do everything a Play server can and much more. Note not all plus servers can do 4K transcoding which depends on the processor.
  • XS: A top-tier, expensive server that’s the best of the best. This server is designed to deliver maximum performance and includes the most extended warranty with the best support. It’s suitable mostly for businesses that require high availability and uncompromising performance.
  • Slim: A compact desktop server that uses 2.5-inch drives."

9 hours ago, DogKnight said:

As *most* devices will play x264 MP4 files just fine natively, there shouldn't be any need for transcoding so a cheaper model should be fine. 
If you want to be safe though, go for a 'Play' model. 
A handy explanation of Synology naming conventions stolen from the site 'Dong Knows Tech: dongknows.com'. 

"The ending letters/characters in a Synology NAS server’s name

This part shows the series a server:

• SE: An entry-level server with the lowest hardware specs. It’s affordable but suitable only for basic needs.
  • J: The next level from SE with decent hardware but still quite weak in terms of performance and features.
  • Play: A server focused on home entertainment. Its hardware prioritizes photos, movies, and music over other functions. A Play server is always capable of 4K transcoding.
  • Plus (+): A high-end server that can do everything a Play server can and much more. Note not all plus servers can do 4K transcoding which depends on the processor.
  • XS: A top-tier, expensive server that’s the best of the best. This server is designed to deliver maximum performance and includes the most extended warranty with the best support. It’s suitable mostly for businesses that require high availability and uncompromising performance.
  • Slim: A compact desktop server that uses 2.5-inch drives."

Thank you very much, i'll try to find on here, these NAS are quite difficult to buy in Brazil.

NOTEBOOK: