Gk64xs good?

KiddoTech

Hi. I am bored with my Anne pro 2 and want to build one myself. Is the GK64 GK64xs Bluetooth Keyboard Kit with Hotswap PCB good for a starter custom keyboard? Cuz I need Bluetooth so I gave up with other options. Or is there any better options? Thanks!

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

PC Build:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LED (4x8GB)
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3090 OC
  • Case
    Corsair icue 4000x
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB x2
  • PSU
    Corsair RM1000X 80+ Gold certified
  • Display(s)
    ROG Swift PG278QR 27” x2
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73

I know little about keyboard kits but a bit about kit builds in general.  It’s often about the tools and skills.  A cheaper kit that has a nicer end product may require more tools and expertise to finish.  HealthKit used to do nothing but electronics kits.  You want a receiver but can’t afford one?  HealthKit. They even did a desktop computer before they died.  My dad did a HealthKit receiver.  Top end device for its day.  Got a soldering iron?  Used it before?  That’s a big skill jump.  Being able to solder will mean you can get a higher end kit within budget. Might even be worth buying a soldering iron just for the project because it got lots of applications.  My dad wound up preferring an electric soldering gun with filed down ends so it would work on things smaller than it was really meant to.  There’s a certain convenience in simply pulling the trigger and having instant massive heat. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I know little about keyboard kits but a bit about kit builds in general.  It’s often about the tools and skills.  A cheaper kit that has a nicer end product may require more tools and expertise to finish.  HealthKit used to do nothing but electronics kits.  You want a receiver but can’t afford one?  HealthKit. They even did a desktop computer before they died.  My dad did a HealthKit receiver.  Top end device for its day.  Got a soldering iron?  Used it before?  That’s a big skill jump.  Being able to solder will mean you can get a higher end kit within budget. Might even be worth buying a soldering iron just for the project because it got lots of applications.  My dad wound up preferring an electric soldering gun with filed down ends so it would work on things smaller than it was really meant to.  There’s a certain convenience in simply pulling the trigger and having instant massive heat. 

I don’t really know how to solder and wound not buy a set for tools just for a keyboard?

PC Build:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3090 OC
  • Case
    Corsair icue 4000x
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    ROG Swift PG278QR 27” x2
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73

12 minutes ago, KiddoTech said:

I don’t really know how to solder and wound not buy a set for tools just for a keyboard?

Soldering can be a handy thing.  It sticks metal to metal with a really seriously strong waterproof connection. Solder is what hot glue wants to be when it grows up.  One of those handy skills.  It’s useful to know what you want and don’t want to do though.  It will affect what kind of kit you want.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Soldering can be a handy thing.  It sticks metal to metal with a really seriously strong waterproof connection. Solder is what hot glue wants to be when it grows up.  One of those handy skills.  It’s useful to know what you want and don’t want to do though.  It will affect what kind of kit you want.

How much are those kits?

PC Build:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3090 OC
  • Case
    Corsair icue 4000x
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    ROG Swift PG278QR 27” x2
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73

1 hour ago, KiddoTech said:

How much are those kits?

Which ones? 

Hey there.

4 hours ago, KiddoTech said:

Is the GK64 GK64xs Bluetooth Keyboard Kit with Hotswap PCB good for a starter custom keyboard? Cuz I need Bluetooth so I gave up with other options. Or is there any better options? Thanks!

The GK64 is an adequate starter keeb for those looking to get into the custom keeb hobby. Off the top of my head, I also don't recall any other keyboard kits that offer Bluetooth functionality (at least, without doing it yourself with microcontrollers and electronics stuff that's outside my expertise).

I say "adequate," because it has some flaws. My opinion:

On 1/17/2021 at 9:50 PM, Eschew said:

Question: Would you recommend the GK64 as a starter custom keyboard to get into the hobby?

Answer: Uh............... No.

It pains me to write this, because I received the board as a lovely, lovely gift from Den, and I will always treasure it as such. But I do have thoughts about the physical product now that I've intimately touched groped fondled examined it, and I felt obligated to share them. Would be especially useful for those tempted to buy a GK64 (or other GK variants, like the GK87S).

I will agree that it’s cheap, and I will agree that the Bluetooth variants are nifty. But (767122981687132230.gif?v=1) the thing about custom keebs that I love is that they're customizable. Tired of the current board and feeling whimsical? A quick parts switcheroo, and a custom will change how it looks, feels, and sounds. The moment the manufacturer decides to use some proprietary, non-standard layout, or decides to sacrifice customizability for cost-savings, I lose interest very quickly, and I feel that’s what happened with the GK64.

20210115_222312.jpg20210115_222207.jpg

GK64 - PCB + Default Mounting Plate

• GK64 PCB - 2U Left Shift Key: Hands-down, this is the strangest oddity on the board. Most keebs and keycap sets offer 2.25U Left Shift options. The GK64 has no alternative physical layouts and is stuck with it's nonconventional 2U Left Shift, which many keycap sets -- like the /dev/tty MT3-Profile Keycaps -- do not accommodate. Adding to the issue, this specific key is the only one on the PCB that does not accept PCB-mounted and screw-in stabilizers -- the Left Shift will only use a plate-mounted stabilizer. All other stabilizer keys have holes cut out for screw-in and PCB-mounted stabs. Just... wat. 788508110318338079.png?v=1 The 2U Left Shift being compatible with only plate-mounted stabs leads to my next gripe.
  • GK64 Mounting Plate: Mounting plates are sorta tied with stabilizers; plates compatible with plate-mounted stabs will have irregular cutouts that should accommodate the stabilizer housings, while plates for PCB-mounted and screw-in stabs are just regular rectangles. The most ubiquitous aftermarket mounting plates are those for PCB-mounted/screw-in stabs, and most aren't compatible with the GK64's odd 2U Left Shift. KPrepublic thankfully carries a variety of GK64-compatible mounting plates, but TBH the selection isn't impressive (very thankful I found the fiberglass mounting plate at all, lol). Oh, and I couldn't use the default aluminum mounting plate in the aftermarket case because the mounting holes are off, and I didn't have the tools to mod the mounting plate to fit. Plus, the astute and OCD-sensitive might notice that the switch cutouts on the default plate aren't perfectly horizontal; this actually does affect how the switches and keycaps are aligned on the board. More strikes against the GK64. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How-e-ver!

My standards are different from other people’s standards. Maybe that curious newbie wanting to delve into custom keebs only wants the board to be hot-swappable, have RGB lighting, and have a bit of convenient wireless functionality. In that case, the GK64xs is an easy recommend. But for people like me, always on the lookout for newer, more interesting keebs, switches, keycap sets, and other thangs, cutting corners on compatibility leaves a sour (749691031242407986.png?v=1) taste in my mouth. Eventually, I’m going to hit a brick wall if I try to customize it any further. 769979590663208993.png?v=1

Taken from Build Log - MGK64. A full disassembly and reassembly of the GK64, if you'd like to see what the process is like. 😉

I will admit that the GK64 is a very attractive custom keeb kit for its price and it's unique Bluetooth functionality. It has a lot of compatibility issues with aftermarket parts, however.

If you're open to suggestions, other decent 60%/65% PCBs and keyboard kits include:

The list above has been filtered, and is not a comprehensive list of all custom compact keebs. I've avoided mentioning the GMMK Compact and the Drop ALT, for instance. The GMMK Compact is locked to GMMK's proprietary software, which has limited customizability and re-programmability. The Drop ALT is... quite marked-up for the mediocrity it offers, IMO. Want a low-profile Drop ALT kit? The GMMK Compact barebones is a close competitor, but goes for a significantly lower than Drop's $140 price tag. Want a high-profile Drop ALT kit? The DZ60/DZ65/KBD67/NK65 kits have similar physical configurations, and can be found for lower than $190.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Which ones? 

Solder kits

PC Build:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3090 OC
  • Case
    Corsair icue 4000x
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    ROG Swift PG278QR 27” x2
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73

6 hours ago, KiddoTech said:

Solder kits

You mean like a collection of soldering tools? Or keyboard kits that require soldering?

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You mean like a collection of soldering tools? Or keyboard kits that require soldering?

Solder tools

PC Build:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3090 OC
  • Case
    Corsair icue 4000x
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    ROG Swift PG278QR 27” x2
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73

Also, should I upgrade from my Anne pro 2 to a kemove snowfox? Other forum members are recommending this

PC Build:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3090 OC
  • Case
    Corsair icue 4000x