Netgear as a second access point or wifi extender?

Devils_Gaming313

Could i use a old netgear router as a second access point or to extend wifi range? 
Its a netgear N 300 wireless Router WNR2000 v3

it depends... there's a specific family of TP-Link wireless N routers that can be configured to essentially function as an access point. the reason that family of devices does it pretty well, is because their chipset is INCREDIBLY dumb, and the WLAN/LAN are essentially just wired into each other without the router interfering.

there's a chance that your netgear will be able to do that too, there's a chance that your netgear will have some other way of acting dumb, there's also a chance that it just will NOT play nice.

having that said.. the only way in which using an old wireless N router makes sense as an access point, is if there is no other option for getting wifi in a certain spot, because their wireless speeds tend to be absolutely horrible...

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

it depends... there's a specific family of TP-Link wireless N routers that can be configured to essentially function as an access point. the reason that family of devices does it pretty well, is because their chipset is INCREDIBLY dumb, and the WLAN/LAN are essentially just wired into each other without the router interfering.

there's a chance that your netgear will be able to do that too, there's a chance that your netgear will have some other way of acting dumb, there's also a chance that it just will NOT play nice.

having that said.. the only way in which using an old wireless N router makes sense as an access point, is if there is no other option for getting wifi in a certain spot, because their wireless speeds tend to be absolutely horrible...

Okay so get a tp link an have it wired to my router? Bc im just looking for a decent wifi extender so i can stream play games etc 

4 hours ago, Devils_Gaming313 said:

Okay so get a tp link an have it wired to my router? Bc im just looking for a decent wifi extender so i can stream play games etc 

if you can run a cable to where you want to extend wifi to, buy a propper access point.