Planning an upgrade for Video Editing Stations at work

Soujiro1337

Budget (including currency): US$ 1500-2500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Adobe Suite, Premiere, After Effects, Remote Desktop

• Parts intended to be kept:

PSU: 650w Seasonic (more details unknown)

Case: Corsair full tower (more details unknown)

GPU: Nvidia Quadro K2200

Hard Drives

M2 SSD 500gb Samsung

• Parts to be upgraded:

Processor: Intel i7 5820K

RAM: 8 sticks of 8gb 2800hz

Motherboard: Asus X99 Pro

Cooler: Corsair Water Cooling (not sure on the model, but it was for socket FCLGA2011-3)

The original build is from around 2014/2015. The aim is to have two or three budgets: One just upgrading the Motherboard, Processor and RAM. Another adding another M2 SSD. And a final one that changes PSU, GPU as well. I'm not sure that the 650 PSU may be able to support a top of the line CPU by itself. I know the forums may not specialize in the Argentinean market, but we will be checking international prices too. Though our main concern is PSU support, and if the water cooler can be used on a newer socket with an adapter.

cooler should fit (might need a bracket), psu might need upgrading depending on what model it is. 

you can only use 4 sticks of ram, so if you're fine with 32gb, keep half of what you have, otherwise, buy 4x16gb.

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

cooler should fit (might need a bracket), psu might need upgrading depending on what model it is. 

you can only use 4 sticks of ram, so if you're fine with 32gb, keep half of what you have, otherwise, buy 4x16gb.

I was not aware of Newegg Argentina! Thanks for this. I think we're aiming for 128gb of ram. I'll see what we can get. Thanks again.

23 minutes ago, Soujiro1337 said:

I was not aware of Newegg Argentina! Thanks for this. I think we're aiming for 128gb of ram. I'll see what we can get. Thanks again.

You're going to hit a lot of different bottlenecks before you see RAM usage above 64GB, especially with that 12-core monstrosity. 

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

Seasonic makes some very good psu and 650W is enough. So it's possible the psu would be fine. If not consider a Seasonic GX-650 or Corsair RMX 650.

A PCIe 4.0 m.2 drive should improve performance. The existing ssd could be used as a scratch drive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($841.87 @ Newegg Argentina) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler  ($132.03 @ Newegg Argentina) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($262.19 @ Newegg Argentina) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($942.30 @ Newegg Argentina) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($195.73 @ Newegg Argentina) 
Total: $2374.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-24 15:48 -03-0300

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

You're going to hit a lot of different bottlenecks before you see RAM usage above 64GB, especially with that 12-core monstrosity. 

Thanks for this, I'll recommend 64gbs to the owner. However they are specifically asking for 128gbs of ram. Also, taking into account multiple employees may log in to a single PC.

Just now, Soujiro1337 said:

Thanks for this, I'll recommend 64gbs to the owner. However they are specifically asking for 128gbs of ram. Also, taking into account multiple employees may log in to a single PC.

Still going to be CPU bound. If there are only 3 people working off this with VMs, suddently they just have quad cores. Probably want to get something bigger, maybe even threadripper.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

22 minutes ago, Soujiro1337 said:

For multiple people, go the 3950x or 5950x roure for extra cores. Threadripper is probably out of the budget. Ypu can probably find better prices locally than on newegg argentina, but this gives an indication of what you can get for the budget