I'm Trying to Find the right Keyboard, and Mouse... but I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed at all the options. Can someone help me out?

I have to be honest, trying to find the RIGHT keyboard for my purposes is kind of a nightmare, I'm only just getting started in PC gaming and PC's in general and there are so many brands of keyboards and different types and qualities of switches that my brain is just getting overloaded. Any tips would be highly appreciated, I know that I want/need a mechanical keyboard I've been using some logitech garbo $10 mesh keyboard and can barely type on it without making a mistake, I can't even imagine using it for gaming. I've been using a macbook pro from 2013 since literally 2013 and I love that keyboard, is there anything like that on the market that works great both for typing and gaming (I know gaming keyboards are like a marketing plea but I'm still a sucker for RGB). I have an MXL 990 mic it's a condenser and picks up like literally everything. Which is why I'm concerned about the loudness of the switches but I also want something that feels good (it's hard to quantify what that is because it's different for everyone I know). As far as price goes, I am comfortable spending up to $150 dollars. Also, if anyone has any gaming mouse or mice (My brain is fried I don't know anymore) recommendations or tips to look for when buying I'd love to see what you have to say. I've seen a bunch of videos and can't decide one way or the other, Also, I have enough wires in my setup to start my own electric company and I'm wondering if I can go wireless but still get the same quality and performance of a wired keyboard and mouse. I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks a million! Peace!!

You can get both the Hyperx Alloy fps rgb keyboard (with red switches which are not that loud but still feel great.) and the Hyperx pulsefire surge rgb mouse for $150.

Also another tip,

You can turn down the gain on your microphone and get it closer to your mouth with a microphone boom arm. doing this will decrease the noise that the mic picks up as well as decreasing the desk vibrations when you type or bump the desk.

Keyboard and mice can be extremely personal it's very hard to recommend something on the basis that it's a popular product. 

With that being said you can check out Rocket Jump Ninja's top mice list. He is one of the most well known mouse reviewer out there :

https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/top-mice

Keyboards are even harder to recommend due to the many flavors they come in so I'd suggest you order from a retailer with a flexible return policy and try a few until you find something you like. 

As for mice, the Logitech Lightspeed (wireless) mice are all pretty good. A whole lot of people love the G502, I personally went with the G903 since it's ambidextrous and I'm a lefty (and I love it). As for the keyboard I'd stay wired for now. You say that you like the MBP 2013 keyboard (which I understand, I didn't swap out my 2013 MBPr until it died in August 2019, lovely thing), but do you prefer a laptop style low-profile keyboard or regular full-travel desktop switches? If the latter, Kailh, Gateron and most of the other Cherry-style copies are more than fine.

The type of switch is a chapter and journey in itself. With a cardioid pattern condenser you probably want to stay away from blue switches, they are very noisy. If you like the tactile response that the MBP keyboard to some degree provides, I'd go with brown switches (which are also my favorite switches). They are both tactile and mostly silent. Black and red are both linear (and silent) and fine if you like that (with different actuation force). All of these switch types are available as a choice in almost every budget mechanical keyboard. 🙂 There is a mountain of YouTube videos describing this much better than me though. 🙂

2 hours ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

As for mice, the Logitech Lightspeed (wireless) mice are all pretty good. A whole lot of people love the G502, I personally went with the G903 since it's ambidextrous and I'm a lefty (and I love it). As for the keyboard I'd stay wired for now. You say that you like the MBP 2013 keyboard (which I understand, I didn't swap out my 2013 MBPr until it died in August 2019, lovely thing), but do you prefer a laptop style low-profile keyboard or regular full-travel desktop switches? If the latter, Kailh, Gateron and most of the other Cherry-style copies are more than fine.

The type of switch is a chapter and journey in itself. With a cardioid pattern condenser you probably want to stay away from blue switches, they are very noisy. If you like the tactile response that the MBP keyboard to some degree provides, I'd go with brown switches (which are also my favorite switches). They are both tactile and mostly silent. Black and red are both linear (and silent) and fine if you like that (with different actuation force). All of these switch types are available as a choice in almost every budget mechanical keyboard. 🙂 There is a mountain of YouTube videos describing this much better than me though. 🙂

Thank you so much for the tips. As far as the size of the switches I'm not really sure if I'm more of a low profile switch guy or a full size desktop guy. Although I'm thinking that I would be more of a low profile guy just from typing on my MBP for so long. I was just looking into the brown switches a little while ago. Is there a particular brand of keyboard you prefer? Corsair, Logitech, etc.? I've been looking at the K95 series from corsair, but I still really have no idea about what brand I would get... I remember back just ten years ago when you had like 3 choices at the store lol. Again thanks for the feedback! 

5 hours ago, Natey1 said:

is there anything like that on the market that works great both for typing and gaming (I know gaming keyboards are like a marketing plea but I'm still a sucker for RGB).

Are you asking for ones that feel similar to the Macbook Pro keyboard, or ones that work great for both typing and gaming?

I have an MXL 990 mic it's a condenser and picks up like literally everything. Which is why I'm concerned about the loudness of the switches but I also want something that feels good (it's hard to quantify what that is because it's different for everyone I know)

If you want silenced switches, and not just clicky ones, there are many good options to choose from. Although they are generally not available in prebuilts, so you'll either have to solder, or get one that has hot swap sockets in order to use them. There are also several keyboards within your budget to choose from, depending on your preferences.

I'm wondering if I can go wireless but still get the same quality and performance of a wired keyboard and mouse

You could, but for keyboards, most use Bluetooth, so there will be some latency.

What form factor do you want? 60%, 65%, TKL, full-size, etc?

Do you have a preference towards linear or tactile switches, or any particular switch? Ignore anyone that e.g. recommends mX bLuEs FoR tYpInG, mX rEdS fOr GaMiNg, as it's all personal preference.

:)

Im a huge fan of logitech mice, ive used about 3 mice per year for the last 5 years or so and logitech mice are almost always the longest ones to stay.
My personal favorites are the following:

1. G Pro   - Feels amazing in the hand (It was a good size for me to start with.) very light, tracks beautifully and ive had no problems with double clicking or touching buttons.

2. G 305   - Best budget option, Small but nimble, Amazing battery life that is much better than the G Pro, "Heavy for such a small mouse, the G Pro is lighter"

3. G 903   - Good all around mouse but reaaaallly heavy for someone that likes to play mobas or FPS. 

The G502 is heavy and the metal mousewheel moves around slightly which ofsets the balance of the mouse when flicking.
Corsair scimitar is my go to for mmorpg, been using this one ever since i got fed up with my Razer naga epic chroma and im not looking back.
Old Razer deathadder felt great in the hand but ive heard that the newer onces feel cheaper and i will tbh not give razer another try for a long while.

Would have recommended Glorious model O wireless variants but the price has slowly creeped up where im at so im not gonna officially recommend that one anymore, there are better mice for the price and if you are gonna buy a mouse in that price category just get a G pro and you will be set for a while. Wired versions are still good tho, make sure to meassure your hand and compare it to RJN list of mice, he has made some good guides on how to do this and they seem to check out based on personal observations aswell.

If you dont want to go wireless even tho i can strongly recommend it, i would try to get ahold on a finalmouse, any model works, might get anoying after a while since dirt etc. tends to clog up the holes in the mouse shell.

Keyboards: 

Im gonna be completely honest and say that i dont have too much memory before the times ive used corsair keyboards, they work really good, cherry switches arent any top of the line switches anymore but they have been doing their job well the entire time ive had em, i can recommend the K70 versions since im an avid user of the keypad.

I've heard alot of good stuff about logitech keyboards recently but im so satisfied atm with my K70 that i will simply not swap it out before it breaks or i spill Coca Cola on it whichever comes first. 
Had the G710 from logitech before but that model is discontinued ages ago.

Main PC:
CPU: Intel i9 - 13900k, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm

GPU: PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT 16GB,

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite,
Ram: 
G.Skill Trident Z neo C16 3600Mhz 32GB,

PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum.

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL

Gear
Mouse: Logitech G Pro

Keyboard: Iqunix F97 Hitchhiker

Headphones: Philips Fidelio X2HR

Speakers: Yamaha HS7

Mic: 512 Audio skylight

Screens: LG 27GL850 & Samsung 34" Odyssey G5 Samsung

I would recommend the g305 if you want a more generic wireless mouse ... works good and there's 3d printed hex battery cover and shell that you can buy if you want to make it lighter ... that with a AAA lithium battery and an adapter will do good ...

Glorious model O wireless would be my go to if you have the budget ...

As for the keyboard if you want something really silent then I would go gmmk with kailh silent box switches ... the pink for linear and brown for tactile ... I have the silent box brown and they feel really nice to type on ... they have a great tactility that you can't miss even if you type really fast and don't pay attention to it ... they feel a bit mushy cause of the dampeners inside the switch but that's what makes them silent ... the spring is surprisingly heavy but it's not something bad in itself, just need to get used to ... 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

On 2/23/2021 at 9:35 PM, seon123 said:

Are you asking for ones that feel similar to the Macbook Pro keyboard, or ones that work great for both typing and gaming?

I guess all three. I know that I probably can't have it all but, in the time I posted this I have done a bit of research from some of the tips people gave me on here, and I think what I'm looking for is a low profile gaming keyboard. I've been looking into corsair's line up, and brown switches, although I'm having trouble deciding between linear switches and tactile because my MBP keyboard doesn't have the curve of tactile they are more linear as in flat. As for mice I was looking into the logitech G502 hero but the amazon reviews don't really make it seem like a good buy. Also having the same brand is something I want I just don't want to mess with multiple kinds of software, which leaves me in a predicament because the corsair mice aren't looking very appealing. I have big-ish hands, and I'm a palm grip (I think first timer here lol). I'm probably just overthinking everything, I just want to make right choice the first time so I don't regret my decision you know? 

6 hours ago, Natey1 said:

I guess all three. I know that I probably can't have it all but, in the time I posted this I have done a bit of research from some of the tips people gave me on here, and I think what I'm looking for is a low profile gaming keyboard. I've been looking into corsair's line up, and brown switches, although I'm having trouble deciding between linear switches and tactile because my MBP keyboard doesn't have the curve of tactile they are more linear as in flat. As for mice I was looking into the logitech G502 hero but the amazon reviews don't really make it seem like a good buy. Also having the same brand is something I want I just don't want to mess with multiple kinds of software, which leaves me in a predicament because the corsair mice aren't looking very appealing. I have big-ish hands, and I'm a palm grip (I think first timer here lol). I'm probably just overthinking everything, I just want to make right choice the first time so I don't regret my decision you know? 

If you want to go within a same brand the if it was me I would go for glorious ... they have really good mouse and some nice hotswappable keyboards. 

You can also look at xtrfy ... they also have good product ... and the m42 mouse doesn't have a software and everything is done on the hardware side.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD