Quietest CPU Cooler for client.

birdflyer
Go to solution Solved by Entropy.,
1 minute ago, birdflyer said:

So between the Noctua  NH-L9i and the be Quiet BK008, which one would you choose?

The NH-L9i is a sff cpu cooler, the bk008 isn't. Both will be relatively quiet, the bk008 probably would perform better. 

Greetings Community, 

I have an IT client that complains about their fan on their CPU cooler (listen, I know) ramping up. Upon telling them that all it is their computer working a bit harder than it used to, (it is an older rig) and that everything is normal, they insisted on having something done as it bothers them. I have listed the CPU and socket type below. I have been looking between Noctua, CoolerMaster, and be Quiet!. I have had quite a bit of experience with Noctua but was wondering what would truely be the most economical, (as the lower the price the better) and most importantly the most quiet. I took a fancy to the two following coolers however, the Noctua is a bit expensive; but I am totally up to suggestions.

Also, I would prefer that the cooler is a tower cooler as I don't know the exact tolerances of the CPU to the RAM. 

Processor: Intel Core i3-4150

Socket: LGA-1150

(case and MB are something like a Dell Inspiron 660)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KVNCEIG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D9L-Premium-Cooler-NF-A9/dp/B00QCEWTAW/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=lga+1150+cooler+noctua&qid=1613963127&sr=8-9

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

20 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Greetings Community, 

I have an IT client that complains about their fan on their CPU cooler (listen, I know) ramping up. Upon telling them that all it is their computer working a bit harder than it used to, (it is an older rig) and that everything is normal, they insisted on having something done as it bothers them. I have listed the CPU and socket type below. I have been looking between Noctua, CoolerMaster, and be Quiet!. I have had quite a bit of experience with Noctua but was wondering what would truely be the most economical, (as the lower the price the better) and most importantly the most quiet. I took a fancy to the two following coolers however, the Noctua is a bit expensive; but I am totally up to suggestions.

Also, I would prefer that the cooler is a tower cooler as I don't know the exact tolerances of the CPU to the RAM. 

Processor: Intel Core i3-4150

Socket: LGA-1150

(case and MB are something like a Dell Inspiron 660)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KVNCEIG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D9L-Premium-Cooler-NF-A9/dp/B00QCEWTAW/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=lga+1150+cooler+noctua&qid=1613963127&sr=8-9

Amazon.com: Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown): Computers & Accessories
I'm unsure of the dimensions but as long as the motherboard has lga 1150 mounting holes this should work well. It's a little pricey however, and it's overkill for sure, might be nice if your client wants to upgrade to a more power hungry cpu down the line. Who knows? 
Amazon.com: Noctua NH-L9i, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler for Intel LGA115x (Brown): Computers & Accessories
This is a little cheaper, little smaller,

Amazon.com: Cooler Master i30 CPU Cooler - 92mm Low Noise Cooling Fan & Heatsink (RH-I30-26FK-R1)- for Intel Socket LGA 1150 / 1151 / 1155 / 1156 (i30): Electronics
And this is a lot cheaper but it's a little taller, still should do the job reasonably well, but it'd be a modest upgrade from what would probably be a intel stock cooler.

All of these are on the smaller side, just in case. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Amazon.com: Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown): Computers & Accessories
I'm unsure of the dimensions but as long as the motherboard has lga 1150 mounting holes this should work well. It's a little pricey however, and might be a little overkill. 
Amazon.com: Noctua NH-L9i, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler for Intel LGA115x (Brown): Computers & Accessories
This is a little cheaper, 

Amazon.com: Cooler Master i30 CPU Cooler - 92mm Low Noise Cooling Fan & Heatsink (RH-I30-26FK-R1)- for Intel Socket LGA 1150 / 1151 / 1155 / 1156 (i30): Electronics
And this is a lot cheaper but it's a little taller. 

Ya, I didn't relaize how small the flat style Noctua coolers were. The tolorances should be fine. What do you think of the be Quiet! BK008? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KVNCEIG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

Ya, I didn't relaize how small the flat style Noctua coolers were. The tolorances should be fine. What do you think of the be Quiet! BK008? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KVNCEIG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Fine cooler, decent price. Should be pretty good. As long as Clearance isn't an issue that should be great. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

On 2/21/2021 at 7:30 PM, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Fine cooler, decent price. Should be pretty good. As long as Clearance isn't an issue that should be great. 

Awesome! Do you know if there happen to be any capacitive [Passive] coolers for LGA-1150? Probably not, but thought I would ask.

Edited by birdflyer

33 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I'm unsure of the dimensions but as long as the motherboard has lga 1150 mounting holes this should work well. It's a little pricey however, and it's overkill for sure, might be nice if your client wants to upgrade to a more power hungry cpu down the line. Who knows? 

And this is a lot cheaper but it's a little taller, still should do the job reasonably well, but it'd be a modest upgrade from what would probably be a intel stock cooler.

Huh, that i30 is the same as the AMD Wraith Stealth cooler. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

25 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Awesome! Do you know if there happen to be any capacitive coolers for LGA-1150? Probably not, but thought I would ask.

What do you mean by capactive cooler?

Id check the fan curves first, set it to silent if you can, cpu will be a bit hotter, but the fans slower.

21 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

It's not the same, but it's very, very similar. 

27 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

I know right? I guess CoolerMaster makes the wraith cooler if I remember right

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id check the fan curves first, set it to silent if you can, cpu will be a bit hotter, but the fans slower.

Ya so as I said, it's a Dell Inspiron 660, so.... Not really an option for that. Do you happen to know a tool for Linux (I set them up with Zorin) for adjusting the fan curves?

On 2/21/2021 at 8:01 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also by "Capacitive [Passive] Cooler" I mean all metal, no fan. Much like the new MacBook Air with the M1. 

Edited by birdflyer

Also by "Capacitive Cooler" I mean all metal, no fan. Much like the new MacBook Air with the M1. 

You don't want a fanless cooler, the cpu fan can be pretty quiet, so you won't hear it. If you get a fanless cooler it would probably be louder as the case fan will spin faster.

Just get a reasonably high quality cooler and your good. Won't need too much as that i3 doesn't make much heat.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You don't want a fanless cooler, the cpu fan can be pretty quiet, so you won't hear it. If you get a fanless cooler it would probably be louder as the case fan will spin faster.

Just get a reasonably high quality cooler and your good. Won't need too much as that i3 doesn't make much heat.

thanks, awesome.

15 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

So between the Noctua  NH-L9i and the be Quiet BK008, which one would you choose?

The NH-L9i is a sff cpu cooler, the bk008 isn't. Both will be relatively quiet, the bk008 probably would perform better. 

Get a cheap tower cooler and byass the fan somehow.

It will be silent and it might not even throttle on an i3-4150. The client won't even care I bet.

This is sarcasm, but it might actually work.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Awesome, I happened to have a Dell Inspiron 660 case laying around. I measured and the BK008 seems to fit within an inch of the side panel; so I think I will go with it. I have never used be Quiet before, do you know how the mounting hardware that they use is? Of course nothing beets Noctua's mounting hardware, just curious.

Also now that I think about it, the money that I will "save" will actually go to getting some good thermal paste from thermal grizzly or Noctua, so there basically the same price I guess.

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Get a cheap tower cooler and byass the fan somehow.

It will be silent and it might not even throttle on an i3-4150. The client won't even care I bet.

This is sarcasm, but it might actually work.

Well be Quiet has the decibel rating on the listing for their cooler at 25.4Db so I think that should be just fine. Certainly much quieter than what is currently there.

5 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Well be Quiet has the decibel rating on the listing for their cooler at 25.4Db so I think that should be just fine. Certainly much quieter than what is currently there.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Alpine-12-Passive-Silent/dp/B07CZZZ4DQ

maybe this one!

You can tell the client they wanted it to be quiet, so this is EXACTLY what they wanted!

Guy in the comments says it worked on his i5-7500

Update: Replaced the Celeron G3900 with a i5-7500. Temperatures are fine, in the mid 40's, and can peak around high 60's low 70s when it's doing stuff. Note: This computer is not used for gaming but just a file server / playing videos and web surfing. Ill update later if I end up playing some games on it for whatever reason.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Alpine-12-Passive-Silent/dp/B07CZZZ4DQ

maybe this one!

set the BIOS to disable turbo 

You can tell the client they wanted it to be quiet, so this is EXACTLY what they wanted!

Although true and possibly a last resort, I think I would rather do what is best for the client and get an actual proper cpu cooler. Like I said though, I will be ordering the cooler through amazon so if they have a problem with it within those 30 days I will simply uninstall it and return it to buy the suggested fanless cooler (Thanks by the way, didn't know that it existed.).

Although true and possibly a last resort, I think I would rather do what is best for the client and get an actual proper cpu cooler. Like I said though, I will be ordering the cooler through amazon so if they have a problem with it within those 30 days I will simply uninstall it and return it to buy the suggested fanless cooler (Thanks by the way, didn't know that it existed.).

Glad I could kind of help, lol. Good luck!

I hate picky clients. 

EDIT: Apparently it's fine on an i5-7500.

• 1 month later...

@Mister Woof and @Brok3n But who cares?

UPDATE

The computer ended up finally making the sound the client was talking about (although they said it was making the sound while I was there before 😑). Anyway, finally made the sound and it is a bad bearing on the stupid cheap PSU fan that dell put in their system. Ended up finding a pretty good deal on an EVGA Super Nova so got that to replace it. The good news is that the client is wanting to slowly upgrade the computer to the point of a new system so nothing we bought was wasted.

Thanks for all the suggestions for a cooler. I ended up going with the BeQuiet and it was great. (Although Dell makes it so hard to remove the cooler back-plate for the OEM cooler going as far as gluing it to the MB!)