Advice on upgraded gaming rig

The Pizza Thief
Go to solution Solved by cm992,
8 minutes ago, The Pizza Thief said:

Hybrid GPU means it comes with it's own radiator and is water cooled, I got the EVGA 2070 Super Hybrid, as far as clocks I think I'm running stock right now with just XMP, is AM5 the upcoming AMD architecture? Is there a release quarter announced yet ?

AM5 will be the new socket that should come out with Zen 4 at the end of the year on a new motherboard platform with DDR5 ram. Your 6700k is fine and if you were going to upgrade it would be best to wait for AM5 or if you want Intels 12th gen which should have DDR5 and be on 10nm.

Budget (including currency): $500-$700 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming, GTA V RP, Valorant, CSGO, Rocket League, Destiny 2.

Other details:  I currently have a i7-6700k, NXZT X61 liquid cooler, Asus Z170-Deluxe motherboard, 4x4GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill Ripjaws V ram (16gb)  and a 2070 super hybrid GPU. 

I think that as far as the GPU I'm covered for what I do (not like I can afford a $2000 3090 anyway) so I would like to get a better CPU, Motherboard, and RAM, but I'm thinking I will also have to upgrade my CPU liquid cooler because most likely the mounts won't be the same, right ? Open to any suggestions, I don't care if switching to AMD is the way to go, I'm no fanboy. Thanks! 

What is a 'hybrid GPU'

Also, there's no reason to upgrade from a 6700k... What kind of clocks are you running? 

I would hang onto your current parts a long while longer... Especially given the current shortages. Also, if you upgrade your CPU at the launch of AM5, you'll enjoy a wider upgrade path.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

What is a 'hybrid GPU'

Also, there's no reason to upgrade from a 6700k... What kind of clocks are you running? 

I would hang onto your current parts a long while longer... Especially given the current shortages. Also, if you upgrade your CPU at the launch of AM5, you'll enjoy a wider upgrade path.

Hybrid GPU means it comes with it's own radiator and is water cooled, I got the EVGA 2070 Super Hybrid, as far as clocks I think I'm running stock right now with just XMP, is AM5 the upcoming AMD architecture? Is there a release quarter announced yet ?

8 minutes ago, The Pizza Thief said:

AM5 will be the new socket that should come out with Zen 4 at the end of the year on a new motherboard platform with DDR5 ram. Your 6700k is fine and if you were going to upgrade it would be best to wait for AM5 or if you want Intels 12th gen which should have DDR5 and be on 10nm.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

53 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Cool, I think I can hold on for a few months so I will wait for more news maybe even prices decrease when supply is back to normal.

33 minutes ago, The Pizza Thief said:

No, but your 6700k shouldn't be holding you back in any way and Ryzen 5000 - released last year, 4th and final chip for this socket. You're locking yourself into an upgrade path that ends with this generation - though these chips are bananas, they'll get even better.

54 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Intel 11th Gen is already on 10nm

I don’t think you really need an upgrade for that. You’d be jumping from one platform to a current one with minimal performance benefits.

If you jumped to a 10900K on Z590, it would perform better, but for those titles there’s not going to be the most noticeable of changes because as of right now the 6700K is fine for that.

It would be better to just save for a whole new platform in a year or so when you could go for a real jump like AM4 or 12th gen Intel

16 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Intel 11th Gen is already on 10nm

Wrong. Intel 11th gen desktop is still on 14nm. Some of the Intel 10th and 11th gen low power mobile chips are on 10nm. Source

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

7 hours ago, cm992 said:

Wrong. Intel 11th gen desktop is still on 14nm. Some of the Intel 10th and 11th gen low power mobile chips are on 10nm. Source

I figured since tiger lake was 10nm, the desktop chips would be too. 

For fuck's sake Intel. What is it now, 14nm+++++? That's a plus each per generation after Skylake