Opera KILLS SSDs?

Student235t63213

Has anyone else had the problem of Opera straight up destroying SSDs?

So over the past few months, 3 hard drives have been destroyed.

In each case, the destroyed hard drive was an SSD (1 NVMe m.2 & 2 SATA).

In each case, the browser "Opera" was in use.

At first, 2 hard drives were destroyed. I assumed the problem was me, something I had done, or some hardware part of my system. But either way, my system was getting old, so I just upgraded everything. New MB, RAM, CPU, GPU... the works.

Everything worked prefectly for 3 months. Then, 2 weeks ago, I once again installed my old favourite browser: Opera. Less than 10 days after installing Opera and starting to use it as my main browser, the hard drive is ruined.

Symptom:

At first, you get unannounced black-screen system crashes.

The crashes only occur when opera is being used, and asked to do something (such as open a new tab).

Scanning the hard drive with a diagnostic tool verifies that there is irreversible, extreme damage to several locations in the SSD.

There is exactly one location of irreversible damage for every time Opera has caused a black-screen-of-death crash.

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?

13 minutes ago, Student235t63213 said:

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?

I use Opera GX and have been experiencing black-screen crashes.  My friend who uses Opera has also been experiencing this.

I can't see how they can be connected though.  I'll run an ssd diagnostic and see if I have similar damage.

5 hours ago, Student235t63213 said:

Scanning the hard drive with a diagnostic tool verifies that there is irreversible, extreme damage to several locations in the SSD.

There is exactly one location of irreversible damage for every time Opera has caused a black-screen-of-death crash.

You cannot "scan" "specific locations" on an SSD. SSD-s have extra translation layer and each lba (which i assume you call "location") can and will be remapped to different actual memory cells as needed for performance, wear leveling, etc, etc.

So if you are using hdd diagnostic tool it is quite pointless.

If you are have lba-s which suffer from slow reads or are unreadable it is, most likely, ssd issue (which is caused by ssd itself, not software used) and can be temporarily fixed by secure erase.

For any constructive discussion ssd models, diagnostic software used, os used, and full system specs including cases/cooling will be needed.