How do I actually mine (eth)?

So I was looking here - I get it that's not guaranteed, but still roughly what I should expect, 7$/day... 

https://whattomine.com/gpus?cost=0.2&button=

Now the difficult part is how do I actually start...? 

What programs do I need, how do I choose a wallet, and do I really need a pool - doesn't that significantly change how much I can expect to earn / day - what if the pool sucks...? And how do you cash out, idc to have ETH in my 'wallet' I care about the promised 250$\month (which realistically would only be half of that because there's no way I let my pc mine 24/7... 12h/day is doable tho I suppose)

I really need a step by step tutorial I'm afraid, I have no idea where to start even. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Use a miner like Nicehash and they have walk thrus to get it all set up and working, the mining and the wallet, etc.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

You download a miner 😛

Jokes aside, that is the gist of it. A set and forget option would be NiceHash, but that doesn't get you ETH so perhaps not what you are looking for. It pays you BTC though, which you can also sell. So yeah, short way: get NiceHash and accept their fees. If not, things you'll need are

1. A wallet
  2. A miner
  3. Somewhere to mine

Mining wise there is solo mining and pool mining.

Solo mining

No.

Pools

In a pool you collectively mine to find blocks and get paid based on how much you contributed. Pools are plenty, just pick one you like. Things to look out for are: pool fee and minimum payout. Pool fee is what they take as their cut and the minimum payout is the minimum you need to mine before they allow you to withdraw to a wallet. I have seen fees from 0.5% to 2% and minimum payouts from 0.05 ETH and up.

I have used Ethermine a little in the beginning. They recently changed their minimum payout balance to >0.01 ETH every 14 days, >0.05 ETH every 7 days and >0.1 ETH daily, so keep that in mind. Now I mine on the Binance pool to my Binance wallet, so that I can immediately trade with them.

Miner

A matter of taste. They're all doing the same thing, so they should all perform the same. I use T-Rex miner. Note that your antivirus will flag any miner as a miner virus (because well they are) and probably put it in quarantine or delete it. Double triple quadruple check the wallet address you mine to, as funds are irreversibly lost once sent.

Wallet

You'll probably be dealing with two wallest: your personal wallet and an exchange wallet. I use MEW Wallet on my phone as my personal wallet and the Binance exchange wallet for mining and trading. There are also hardware options depending on how serious you are. Keep in mind the crypto adage of "not your keys not your coins".

Exchanges

This is where you trade your coins for other coints or convert to fiat. Again somewhat a matter of taste. Big ones are Binance (US), Coinbase (Pro) and Kraken. Check if they support the currencies you are interested in and regulations where you are to see which one you can use. I know Binance has separate versions for the US and the rest of the world for example. Note that you'll have to go through a KYC process to withdraw any meaningful amount of money.

Transaction fees

This one is important. Transferring funds from and to your wallet incurs a transaction fee and for ETH they are rather high at the moment. If I'm not mistaken on Ethermine the pool pays these for you on payouts. However, you'll need to get them from your wallet to an exchange. According to MEW for ETH it's about a $6-7 transaction fee currently. That's why I started mining on the Binance pool so I could mine to the exchange wallet there and trade directly.

Finally temper your expectations on earnings as we are all at the mercy of the market. Both ETH and BTC are still growing and so is everything as it's bull market right now. Sites like whattomine only show you what the revenue today is. Difficulty will slowly increase, price will fluctuate and it could theoretically all collapse tomorrow.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

You download a miner

Thats what I thought, yeah........... 😅

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

Finally temper your expectations on earnings as we are all at the mercy of the market. Both ETH and BTC are still growing and so is everything as it's bull market right now. Sites like whattomine only show you what the revenue today is. Difficulty will slowly increase, price will fluctuate and it could theoretically all collapse tomorrow.

Oof, okay thanks for the explanation... it seems really difficult / daunting, I'm not sure why it has to be so difficult, you'd think download a miner, set up a wallet and you're done...! but in practice this seems just not easy. 

And yeah I know, it's not guaranteed, but apparently a lot of people do this and if it's just 100-200 bucks per month it would be worth it (especially since I don't pay for electricity lol) 

Btw, I just tried to download Quantumcloud - just to try it out, but defender says it's a 'trojan' I suppose that's normal then but any idea if quantumcloud is 'safe'? 

I don't really care if it's worth it, as long it's safe... I just wanna try it out lol. 🤷🏼

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

31 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Oof, okay thanks for the explanation... it seems really difficult / daunting, I'm not sure why it has to be so difficult, you'd think download a miner, set up a wallet and you're done...! but in practice this seems just not easy. 

Yeah I mean those are the steps, but they do require some attention as the keys and stuff are important. In the end it's just like creating a few accounts and editing some configuration files, nothing too complicated, just that it's basically a bank account you are dealing with so you'd like your funds to go to your account and not a random other one.

And yeah I know, it's not guaranteed, but apparently a lot of people do this and if it's just 100-200 bucks per month it would be worth it (especially since I don't pay for electricity lol)

I mean, I'm mining on my 1080 Ti. It's just over $1 a day, but it's magical internet money and "free" space heating.

Btw, I just tried to download Quantumcloud - just to try it out, but defender says it's a 'trojan' I suppose that's normal then but any idea if quantumcloud is 'safe'?

Never heard of Quantumcloud. It seems to mine Q-Coin though and not ETH. Of course I can't say it is 100% safe, but if I download a miner than I expect defender to flag it as a trojan/miner or whatever. Just make sure that it's a legit miner and that you got it from the official page.

If you don't mind the type of coin you can always try NiceHash first. It pays out to your internal Coinbase wallet every 4 hours. It's just that NiceHash is a hashpower market place so you rent out your GPU, others use it to mine ETH (most likely as that is most profitable at the moment) and you get paid in BTC in return. It's a bit less profitable and they take a 2% fee, but you'll have it in your wallet and get a little taste of it. You can even trade it for ETH if that's what you really want, but both are valuable currently.

I think Coinbase Pro is where you go for the "actual" trading then with lower fees and more options. Never used it myself though.

At the very least when you withdraw actual money you'll need to to through KYC no matter the exchange, so that'll be like ID verification, address verification that sort of thing.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

6 minutes ago, tikker said:

I mean, I'm mining on my 1080 Ti. It's just over $1 a day, but it's magical internet money and "free" space heating.

that's another thing I thought of, I kinda doubt these numbers they're telling you are true and it'll be less in the end, but who knows... 

7 minutes ago, tikker said:

Never heard of Quantumcloud. It seems to mine Q-Coin though and not ETH. Of course I can't say it is 100% safe, but if I download a miner than I expect defender to flag it as a trojan/miner or whatever. Just make sure that it's a legit miner and that you got it from the official page.

Ah, alright well I just asked about eth because that's what everyone is talking about so I think it's the most profitable (currently) but something like nice hash will be probably easier to get in so that's fine too... and quantumcloud was just an idea because it seems really simple and I see now it makes sense defender flags it as trojan / virus, would be nice if they had better descriptions, it should just say 'this is a miner, do you like money?' or something like that. : P

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just easy way, register for a wallet. I used Coinbase myself. 
Then get nicehash and let it run. When you’re ready to transfer or have enough, then send it to Coinbase, flip the Bitcoin to usd then send it to your bank account. 
The hard part is setting the card up if you plan to mess with the power and clock speeds. Or just let it run however. 

Not sure what’s wrong with letting it do it 24/7. Kinda the point of hardware. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

17 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Just easy way, register for a wallet. I used Coinbase myself. 
Then get nicehash and let it run. When you’re ready to transfer or have enough, then send it to Coinbase, flip the Bitcoin to usd then send it to your bank account. 
The hard part is setting the card up if you plan to mess with the power and clock speeds. Or just let it run however. 

hmm, thanks that's a good, simple answer, kinda what I was looking for. Though I'm in Europe maybe coinbase doesn't work here? and looks nice hash is the way to go otherwise. 

Not sure what’s wrong with letting it do it 24/7. Kinda the point of hardware. 

Well if you don't play games then maybe ... it's just I really let my pc idle a lot so might as well mine and make some money, if this works out I might use it to build another pc, I was planning that already anyway as I have quite some parts already (need cpu, motherboard, case, my old 1060, ram and psu will do just fine, maybe just not for mining lol) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

hmm, thanks that's a good, simple answer, kinda what I was looking for. Though I'm in Europe maybe coinbase doesn't work here? and looks nice hash is the way to go otherwise. 

Well if you don't play games then maybe ... it's just I really let my pc idle a lot so might as well mine and make some money, if this works out I might use it to build another pc, I was planning that already anyway as I have quite some parts already (need cpu, motherboard, case, my old 1060, ram and psu will do just fine, maybe just not for mining lol) 

Not sure on the geographical limitations on Coinbase. Plenty of other wallets out there though. I game on mine, just have it mining when I’m not, which tends to be 18-20 hours of the day now. Really depends. 
If the 1060 is a 6gb model, might as well put it to work. I did with mine. Sold it recently given the bad availability lately. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

If the 1060 is a 6gb model

heh, yeah if I game on the main rig this one can take over lol 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

that's another thing I thought of, I kinda doubt these numbers they're telling you are true and it'll be less in the end, but who knows...

Yeah it may be a bit overestimated, but not too far off in general. For me whattomine is fairly in line with what I get. Coinwarz not so much. NiceHash will also give you a real time estimate when it's running. It will depend on your actual hashrate and the current price which can both vary. You'll only know once you start.

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

it's just I really let my pc idle a lot so might as well mine and make some money, if this works out I might use it to build another pc

Same here haha. It's on anyway, might as well let it do something.

26 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

here are old guide for mining ;

thanks for that! generally should I just follow the nice hash guide or both guides? (if I want to use nice hash which after all seems the easiest method) 

Also, bummer : coinbase is not available in Germany (we're not allowed to have good things here) so this is going to be a pain to find an alternative... (which I kinda expected because we are definitely not allowed to have good things here... 😕

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

thanks for that! generally should I just follow the nice hash guide or both guides? (if I want to use nice hash which after all seems the easiest method) 

Also, bummer : coinbase is not available in Germany (we're not allowed to have good things here) so this is going to be a pain to find an alternative... (which I kinda expected because we are definitely not allowed to have good things here... 😕

NiceHash is really a set and forget option, but it's not as profitable, so if you're interested in some sort of an edge, mining coins directly, (ETH or other), is a better option.

I'm sure there are other alternatives to Coinbase, but not for free transfers out of your NiceHash wallet. I'm still using NiceHash but I've since stopped using Coinbase as I prefer having my coins in a wallet I own (having your coins on an exchange wallet can be risky, but I haven't had any issues personally).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !