Confused about how to connect Amazon Fire TV stick with TV/Soundbar

james_bond

There are 2 items on my shopping list which I am planning to buy pretty soon. The first is an Amazon Fire TV stick & the second is a Dolby Atmos capable soundbar.

This is my TV >>> https://www.panasonic.com/in/consumer/product-archive/home-entertainment/th-39e200dx.html

My TV has 2 HDMI ports but none of them support HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC.

When I check out various soundbars on Amazon I see that most of them have only 1 HDMI port. Some of them are ARC while others are eARC.

I don't understand exactly how do I connect the Amazon Fire TV stick ?

If I plug it directly to my TV's HDMI port then how will the soundbar receive the audio signal ?

If I plug it to the (only 1) HDMI port of the soundbar how will my TV receive the video signal ?

As you can see I am a total newbie to this & totally confused.

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

Basically there's no solution with that ancient TV that doesn't even have optical out...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Basically there's no solution with that ancient TV that doesn't even have optical out...

I purchased that TV on 2018. You thought it was old simply because its HD Ready / 720p.

...and doesn't have either ARC, optical out, smart features etc that pretty much anything has had for many years.

So not old but super basic model.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

...and doesn't have either ARC, optical out, smart features etc that pretty much anything has had for many years.

So not old but super basic model.

True but please consider the fact that if I had purchased a smart tv then there was no need to buy a separate device like an Android TV box or Amazon Fire TV stick. The sole purpose of these devices is convert a non smart TV into a smart tv.

Anyways, lets see if someone can offer an idea. Thanks for replying.

because you got a featureless tv you will need to find a sound bar with a hdmi in. there are some but cost more

this one has both in and out hdmi
https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-HW-T550-2-1ch-Soundbar-Virtual/dp/B085WTFCQ5/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=Soundbar+with+HDMI+Input+and+Output&qid=1613344714&sr=8-13

otherwise "maybe" a splitter will work or even a converter...or go with a cheap receiver and speakers....other then that, you use tv speakers

@circeseye

Please use Amazon.in not .com. I want a soundbar that is truly Atmos capable. Which has upfiring speakers for Atmos. I dont want to use a soundbar which offers "virtual" surround using 2 speakers.

3 hours ago, james_bond said:

@circeseye

Please use Amazon.in not .com. I want a soundbar that is truly Atmos capable. Which has upfiring speakers for Atmos. I dont want to use a soundbar which offers "virtual" surround using 2 speakers.

sigh....i showed you what to look for with sound bars...easiest also is looking at the picture of the connections..if 2 hdmi then its a good bet it one in and one out.

and if your going that route you should find some since your looking at pricey sound bars

20 hours ago, james_bond said:

@circeseye

Well sorry to tell you but most of us dont live in India. So we dont know what the tech market looks like. The only thing I know about India is that electronics costs quite a bit more due to taxes imposed. 

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-st5000/specifications

Linus reviewed this not too long ago. 

Its expensive however. Like $1,400 USD, that cost more than my gaming PC. This sound bar looks to have 3 HDMI's in and One HDMI out that does support ARC. 

No offense but I dont think Id spend ATMOS money on a 720P TV......

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

No offense but I dont think Id spend ATMOS money on a 720P TV.....

I think you are right. Idea cancelled. BTW, I am not using the TV speakers. I am using a 2.1 Logitech. The sound quality is not bad. The only thing that I miss is the surround effect. 

Conclusion : While buying the next TV I need to check 2 things. (1) Its the maximum possible resolution & (2) it must have HDMI eARC.