i7 10700k Thermal Throttling at low temperatures

Go to solution Solved by Roman1991,

Hi folks,

I have thermal throttling at low temperatures, it starting at 70°C and it is dropping frequency from 4.7 GHz to 1.2 GHz.

And game which demanding high CPU usage are unplayable.

Every game should run, more than fine

specs:

i7 10700k

B460M gaming HD - default BIOS 

Cooler is Argus SU-260 120mm fan

RTX 3060 Ti

I was reading many topics, but they are mostly about laptops or desktops which reaching very very high temperatures over 90.

Which is not my case.

Attached are 2 ss from XTU and throttlestop, you can see there low temperatures and huge throttling 

Did you have similar problem ? Or could you please advice what it can causing ?

If u need more details, I will add them.

Thank you very much :}

Roman

I hope that someone can help me here.

thrott2.PNG

thrott.PNG

Hi folks,

I have thermal throttling at low temperatures, it starting at 70°C and it is dropping frequency from 4.7 GHz to 1.2 GHz.

And game which demanding high CPU usage are unplayable.

Every game should run, more than fine

specs:

i7 10700k

B460M gaming HD - default BIOS 

Cooler is Argus SU-260 120mm fan

RTX 3060 Ti

I was reading many topics, but they are mostly about laptops or desktops which reaching very very high temperatures over 90.

Which is not my case.

Attached are 2 ss from XTU and throttlestop, you can see there low temperatures and huge throttling 

Did you have similar problem ? Or could you please advice what it can causing ?

If u need more details, I will add them.

Thank you very much :}

Roman

I hope that someone can help me here.

thrott2.PNG

thrott.PNG

Could be the fact that you're trying to push ~160W  for your CPU through a handful of discrete MOSFETs that don't even have a heatsink on them.

Point a fan on the VRMs and see how much that helps. In the meantime, I'd probably suggest ordering a new, proper motherboard.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

yes u were right, during the stress test VRAM reached 99°C and then it start throttling.

Do you have some solution how cool them properlly ? Maybe with some additional heatsink ?

thank you very much for your reply

4 hours ago, Roman1991 said:

yes u were right, during the stress test VRAM reached 99°C and then it start throttling.

Do you have some solution how cool them properlly ? Maybe with some additional heatsink ?

thank you very much for your reply

You could try buying some thermal pads and generic heatsinks and try fitting them. But the reality is you've bought a very cheap motherboard that while supporting your CPU isn't designed for it. The load your putting on the VRM is above what its designed for, and sooner or later somethings going to blow. I'd do exactly what @Mateyyyhas said and buy a decent motherboard designed to handle the power draw of your CPU

thank you for advices, i did not expect thats can happen with cheap MB, i will look for something more suitable for my i7

thank you again