Dual system : Phanteks Revolt X only sending 0.15V to one of the EPS 12V cables

oscar7601

Hello everyone,

I'm already on my third Phanteks Revolt X PSU, the two first ones have been taken under warranty because they would not respond to power switch buttons anymore. It's the 1200W version.

I'm having trouble with it (again) but this time it's different. My first system (the gaming system) works perfectly fine. But the second one (my NAS) "starts" (fans start spinning) when I press the power switch but the system has no display and it won't turn off when pressing the power switch for a few seconds. 

I just tested the system with a spare PSU and it works just fine with the other PSU. So I went back to the Phanteks Revolt X with my multimeter and noticed that it only sends 0.15V to the EPS 12V cable of the second system.

Do you have an idea of an easy fix that would not void my warranty?

Thank you in advance.

5 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

third Phanteks Revolt X PSU

These don't seem to be very good PSUs if you are on your third, why do you keep going back to them?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

No, and servicing a PSU is something only professionals should do. The capacitors in there continue to hold a charge for a long time and you do not want one of those discharging through you. Hopefully still under warranty fourth times the charm? 🥴

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

These don't seem to be very good PSUs if you are on your third, why do you keep going back to them?

Top kek, technically only bought it once right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

29 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well because I bought it once and it's covered with a 12 year warranty.

Also, AFAIK it's the only PSU on the market that can power two systems (without using Phanteks' EOL PSU splitter)

26 minutes ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

No, and servicing a PSU is something only professionals should do. The capacitors in there continue to hold a charge for a long time and you do not want one of those discharging through you. Hopefully still under warranty fourth times the charm? 🥴

Top kek, technically only bought it once right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's what I thought...

I just called Caseking whom I bought it from and they're sending me a shipping label to return it once again.

I can't express how perfect the quality of service of Caseking has been managing these multiple RMAs though. Really an incredibly reliable seller.

They must be truly incredible to be this content with a fourth consecutive rma on the same item
I envy your optimism friend, godspeed

1 minute ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

They must be truly incredible to be this content with a fourth consecutive rma on the same item
I envy your optimism friend, godspeed

Well it's by no means Caseking's fault if Phanteks can't make a reliable unit...

The unit I'm sending back today was sent to me in September 2020 ! It's not even 6 months old and it is already faulty...

Plus it really isn't heavily sollicited : the NAS is only a Ryzen 2600, a GT710 2GB and 5 drives (!!!)

3 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

Well it's by no means Caseking's fault if Phanteks can't make a reliable unit...

image.png.b93f301bbbc0db7b7f8e8b7b1c325267.png

I refuse to believe

Unless it's the pure definition of B grade

Phanteks X is tier A psu which is good and pretty silent under load.

Based on seasonic prime with LLC and DC-DC which is very good.

now i do not know why this is happening

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

5 minutes ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

I refuse to believe

Well tbh the only PSUs I've ever had issues with were 2 Seasonic and this series on Phanteks Revolt X. Never been bothered by problems when using LEPA, EVGA or Corsair...

Of course, this is by no means representative of these brands' product quality in general but still I can't get around how unreliable these Phanteks PSUs have been until now.

The first one stopped responding to power switches.

The second one had the same problem but only with one of the power switches.

This one is the third and the EPS 12V of the second system is giving 0.15V instead of 12V...

1 minute ago, oscar7601 said:

Well tbh the only PSUs I've ever had issues with were 2 Seasonic and this series on Phanteks Revolt X. Never been bothered by problems when using LEPA, EVGA or Corsair...

Seasonic also makes most psus for corsair and EVGA.

6 minutes ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

I refuse to believe

Seasonic is not that good tbh. tleast right now. Well their prime series is nice, but thei focus is pretty bad ngl. also they do have bad units too liek every other brand

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

6 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Yes exactly. I use Corsair for my personal (have for over a decade straight) and EVGA on all my crypto miners. Literally never one single issue on any one I've ever had, granted they're all HXi and GQ line respectively. All the EVGA ones I got secondhand too! They run at full load 24/7/365 and never once have I had even the slightest failure in any way. Hell with the EVGA GQ ones I can literally overload a sata chain by more than double the 54w rating and it just doesn't care (yes I know the header would give out first).

Silicon lottery proves more real every passing day

1 minute ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

Yes exactly. I use Corsair for my personal (have for over a decade straight) and EVGA on all my crypto miners. Literally never one single issue on any one I've ever had, granted they're all HXi and GQ line respectively. All the EVGA ones I got secondhand too! They run at full load 24/7/365 and never once have I had even the slightest failure in any way. Hell with the EVGA GQ ones I can literally overload a sata chain by more than double the 54w rating and it just doesn't care (yes I know the header would give out first).

Silicon lottery proves more real every passing day

well Seasonic has problems with high power gpus on some of their platform. generally would avoid seasonic focus, prime plat/titanium

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

No.  No they don't.

Seasonic only makes the Corsair AX Series and EVGA's long discontinued GS Series.  Please get your facts straight.

3 hours ago, oscar7601 said:

Hello everyone,

I'm already on my third Phanteks Revolt X PSU, the two first ones have been taken under warranty because they would not respond to power switch buttons anymore. It's the 1200W version.

I'm having trouble with it (again) but this time it's different. My first system (the gaming system) works perfectly fine. But the second one (my NAS) "starts" (fans start spinning) when I press the power switch but the system has no display and it won't turn off when pressing the power switch for a few seconds. 

I just tested the system with a spare PSU and it works just fine with the other PSU. So I went back to the Phanteks Revolt X with my multimeter and noticed that it only sends 0.15V to the EPS 12V cable of the second system.

Do you have an idea of an easy fix that would not void my warranty?

Thank you in advance.

The modular PCB is a f'd up design and they should have never attempted to do it without having a full R&D And PE team (which they don't).

You're better off with a quality PSU and a splitter if you want to run two boards with one PSU.

5 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

well Seasonic has problems with high power gpus on some of their platform. generally would avoid seasonic focus, prime plat/titanium

I have explained this already in a few threads:
"Seasonic Focus GM/GX/new PX (past OneSeasonic) have no issues with Ampere. It is the Focus Plus platform (V1/V2) that had problems with OCP causing the units to shutdown."