[UNCONFIRMED] Making photorealistic human models for free in hours is now possible, thanks to MetaHuman Creator

Ash_Kechummm
On 2/11/2021 at 5:02 PM, Kisai said:

It's fine though, if we get to a point where a video game engine can surpass what a GAN can do, player customization might actually reach a point where you aim a webcam at your face, and the game can figure out what you look like, and you can just tweak it from there so you can have a true avatar in the game. That can bring an entirely new experience for VR, and remote meeting spaces.

This has been tried, it was BAD. I'm not saying it can't be tried again and will never end up near perfect, I'm just saying there needs to be some damn good AI on the backend to figure this stuff out. 
1412698952-media.jpg

23 minutes ago, Colty said:

This has been tried, it was BAD. I'm not saying it can't be tried again and will never end up near perfect, I'm just saying there needs to be some damn good AI on the backend to figure this stuff out. 
1412698952-media.jpg

This is genuinely painful to watch, what is this?

1 minute ago, Ash_Kechummm said:

This is genuinely painful to watch, what is this?

It's from NBA2k15. I don't know if it's been made any better or if it's even a feature in the later games. 
2689567-tumblr_nd3g1hxk9p1u0ivxxo1_500.j

1 minute ago, Colty said:

It's from NBA2k15. I don't know if it's been made any better or if it's even a feature in the later games. 
2689567-tumblr_nd3g1hxk9p1u0ivxxo1_500.j

God that is scary.

But things have gotten better.

You should look into NeRF 

And also into light fields

Since this is still an area of very active research, you can expect this to appear in games at least a decade from now, although these papers already have demos that work well enough to be commercialized for industries not limited by 60+fps on aging computer hardware, or a slow internet connection (like the film industry)

two minutes paper is fun to watch, but not all of that will be used, or the time needed to make use for some systems.

Some could be, other areas can be limited. For some of these identity and other various issues can arise and be concerns or more stuff besides the tech to deal with.

5 hours ago, Colty said:

1412698952-media.jpg

This looks like all it did was glue the texture of the players face to a generic model.

Like what I'm talking about is scanning the geometry of the face, like what FaceID can already do. You only need the texture of the face for things like makeup and tattoos/scars.