240mm aio or Tower Cooler for Ryzen 7 5800x

iCoNrant
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

In terms of reliability the Noctua NH-D15 is as good as it gets. The only points of failure are the fans. And i've personally never had a Noctua fail on me (or have seen other who claimed they have). In terms of performance there is not that much difference between the D15 and AiOs. When a fan fails on an air cooler, it's not that bad (the D15 can also easily cool your CPU when only 1 fan is running) but when your AiO pump fails, your CPU will instantly overheat and your PC will shut down. Also there is the pump noise. It's probably the most noticeable noise that can come from your PC.

Like the others already said, only go for an AiO when you don't have space for a big air cooler, really like the looks, or want to OC your CPU to the absolute maximum (D15 has enough headroom to do that aswell though).

As i've seen plenty people using a D15 inside a Meshify C, i'd say go for the big air cooler.

My case is the Meshify C, I am now choosing between noctua nh d15 and 3 three aio coolers. No RGB needed. 

Corsair h100i Rgb Pro XT 

Deepcool Castle 240Ex

Be quiet! Pure Loop 240 mm

I would go with the Noctua personally. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

mostly depends on what you want, both AIR and AIO can be good for their job.

like what is the airflow and temps you want, 240-280mm (280 might not be for your case unless its the ATX one).

certain air coolers can be the best if that is the focus, an AIO can give more surface area and could be easier to handle but pump to lifetime (can DIY refill) and installing is a bit different.

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

mostly depends on what you want, both AIR and AIO can be good for their job.

like what is the airflow and temps you want, 240-280mm (280 might not be for your case unless its the ATX one).

certain air coolers can be the best if that is the focus, an AIO can give more surface area and could be easier to handle but pump to lifetime (can DIY refill) and installing is a bit different.

Meshify C can't support 280mm aio on top. I personally mount aio as exhaust 

13 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I would go with the Noctua personally. 

Why? 

10 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

Why? 

I would go with it as well (or a Dark Rock Pro 4 for better looks) because less hassle. AIOs have way more points of failure and dont perform that much different

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Unless you *just love* how an AIO looks, or you're into doing big overclocking, there's really no reason to go AIO over air. 

AIO has pumps, hoses, radiators, fans and fluids to be mindful of. That fluid dries up, and is corrosive, they have very finite lifespans. 

Air is just a fin stack with a fan, I used the same heatsink over 3 sockets and 2 brands of CPU's before my current system. 

Air generally cools just as well in real-world use, and has fewer points of failure. Honestly the stock coolers that come with the AMD chips are actually totally OK, unlike the Intel stock cooler. I use the AMD stock cooler on my R5 3600 and it doesn't get anywhere near throttling zones. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

In terms of reliability the Noctua NH-D15 is as good as it gets. The only points of failure are the fans. And i've personally never had a Noctua fail on me (or have seen other who claimed they have). In terms of performance there is not that much difference between the D15 and AiOs. When a fan fails on an air cooler, it's not that bad (the D15 can also easily cool your CPU when only 1 fan is running) but when your AiO pump fails, your CPU will instantly overheat and your PC will shut down. Also there is the pump noise. It's probably the most noticeable noise that can come from your PC.

Like the others already said, only go for an AiO when you don't have space for a big air cooler, really like the looks, or want to OC your CPU to the absolute maximum (D15 has enough headroom to do that aswell though).

As i've seen plenty people using a D15 inside a Meshify C, i'd say go for the big air cooler.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

32 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Any clearance issue like first pcie slot can't put gpu in? 

1 minute ago, iCoNrant said:

Any clearance issue like first pcie slot can't put gpu in? 

Normally not an issue. I've had a D15 myself in the past and had a GPU in the first slot.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Normally not an issue. I've had a D15 myself in the past and had a GPU in the first slot.

Noctua nh d15 chromax Black is expensive than the 240mm aio and idk why.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

I plan getting the hyperx fury rgb 3200mhz (2x16gb) ram, will there be any ram clearance issues? 

4 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

I plan getting the hyperx fury rgb 3200mhz (2x16gb) ram, will there be any ram clearance issues? 

It's pretty low profile, so it shouldn't be a problem. If it doesn't fit you can still adjust the height of the front fan or leave it out alltogether for only a small decrease in cooling performance.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

It's pretty low profile, so it shouldn't be a problem. If it doesn't fit you can still adjust the height of the front fan or leave it out alltogether for only a small decrease in cooling performance.

Noctua stated 32 mm height rams only. Maybe I go get a dark rock pro 4?

46 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

Noctua stated 32 mm height rams only. Maybe I go get a dark rock pro 4?

You could also get the NH-D15S. It's just a version with more ram clearance and 1 fan. It's also cheaper.

37 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

You could also get the NH-D15S. It's just a version with more ram clearance and 1 fan. It's also cheaper.

d15s is almost the same performance compared to d15, I probably would choose the d15s.

15 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

d15s is almost the same performance compared to d15, I probably would choose the d15s.

Performanse for the S is just slightly worse due to only having 1 fan. But otherwise it's the same cooler as the normal D15 and still one of the best air coolers.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Performanse for the S is just slightly worse due to only having 1 fan. But otherwise it's the same cooler as the normal D15 and still one of the best air coolers.

I'm checking the ram compatibility on Noctua site, need to see I lucky or not.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

ok thank you for all the information and time. I'm going to buy the Noctua NH-d15 Chromax black

Le Grand Macho RT.

All of the power of a D15, quieter, no ram headaches, looks better..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

21 hours ago, freeagent said:

Le Grand Macho RT.

All of the power of a D15, quieter, no ram headaches, looks better..

I love Thermalright fans, they are very good.  I have a couple of the TY-141.  They are just difficult to fit anywhere but on certain air coolers.  Apparently all of the best fans must be brown.

8 minutes ago, 1982 Original said:

I love Thermalright fans, they are very good.  I have a couple of the TY-141.  They are just difficult to fit anywhere but on certain air coolers.  Apparently all of the best fans must be brown.

I agree, except with the brown part. Because I use 120x38s that destroy every single popular case fan out there 😄 There is a boatload on Aliexpress, and some of those have shown up on Amazon.com. Possibly a bunch you have never seen before, most of them have square frames. The other shape you are referring to will fit wherever a Noctua fan of the same shape will fit.

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I agree, except with the brown part. Because I use 120x38s that destroy every single popular case fan out there 😄 There is a boatload on Aliexpress, and some of those have shown up on Amazon.com. Possibly a bunch you have never seen before, most of them have square frames. The other shape you are referring to will fit wherever a Noctua fan of the same shape will fit.

Are the 120x38 that your talking about, are they on Thermalright's website?  If they are, could you link to them?  I am always interested in testing new fans.

2 hours ago, 1982 Original said:

Are the 120x38 that your talking about, are they on Thermalright's website?  If they are, could you link to them?  I am always interested in testing new fans.

Ohh no, my main fans are Panaflo's. What I mean was Thermalright has some regular fans now, and with RGB, mid and high performance. Not a bad spread. I will probably buy a couple of different models, I like their TL-D14X and the little guy to go with it.