Buying ps4, will it be a good choice now?

Harish_3

I'm planning to buy ps4 despite the launch of the new ps5, because the console and games are cheaper than ps5 and I don't care too much about the performance of ps5. Buying ps4, will it be a good choice now and suitable for a long run?

1 minute ago, VioletBiscuit57 said:

Remember to consider the 4k resolution you get out of the newer moddle as apposed to the 1080p output of the older one

My TV is FHD only! In future, will I be getting the latest games in ps4 too?

Well, that should be answered only by you.

The advantage of PS5 is that it is backward compatible with most of PS4 titles, meaning you can just buy older cheap game and run it in PS5.

The second one is upcoming title might not be PS4 compatible.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

it would kind of be better to get a "older" pc for cheap.

PS5 would be better, more so when newer titles could become harder to run on PS4. But it could be great if you just want to game and find a cheap PS4 too.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

it would kind of be better to get a "older" pc for cheap.

Not if you wanna play PS4 exclusives, God Of War, Uncharted 4, Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Well, it's hard to say, actually.

Here are some of my thoughts if you are interested:

- As PS5 has launched, many producers would very much shift their future releases to the new console, meaning the PS4 will likely to be obsolete soon, and I estimate that will happen probably at Fall, where fewer and fewer games would be release for PS4.

- Depending on Sony, support for PS4 may still be strong, and I estimate they might ended official support for PS4 probably at 2023 or 2024 (or the next gen console launched). You can still use PlayStation Network features, but games may no longer release for PS4 at that time. So PS4 still has some good years left in it.

- Accessories wise, such as replacement controller, will be harder to find in the long run. Not sure if PS5 controller is compatible with PS4 controller or vice versa.

- PS5 has better features, in my opinion, including a faster RAM, 4k high refresh rate support (PS4 Pro can only support 4k 60Hz on certain games only), and SSD storage, which significantly reduce loading time for many games.

So, depending on you, if you found the above statement matters to you, you can probably save more money for PS5. If you are quite content with what PS4 is currently offer, then PS4 should be good. I would suggest you to get a PS4 Pro if possible.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

I always figured PS4 would become dirt cheap thanks to PS5 backward compatibility with PS4, but sadly that hasn't happened since PS5 is such a bastard to get right now. But at least the games are cheap, and IMO PS4 has the best game library of any console since PS2.

14 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

- PS5 has better features, in my opinion, including a faster RAM, 4k high refresh rate support (PS4 Pro can only support 4k 60Hz on certain games only), and SSD storage, which significantly reduce loading time for many games.

The big jump in cpu is a huge reason for load times being improved too. God PS4 and XBox One have such garbage cpus, I'm amazed what devs were able to get out of the PS4 hardware last gen.

Honestly, I might just go for PS5 Digital Edition in your shoes. Most PS4 games are by now pretty cheap on PSN and new PS4 run $300. Might as well pay the extra $100 and get the PS5 Digital for $400 and then you're not buying another new console to play PS5 games when they also get cheap after being out a year or two. Plus first thing you can do is spend $60 to get a year of PS Plus this month and you get the following PS4 games

1. God of War
  2. Bloodborne (still buy the DLC though, it's incredible)
  3. The Last of Us
  4. Control Ultimate Edition (actually the native PS5 version)
  5. Persona 5
  6. Uncharted 4
  7. Monster Hunter World
  8. Fallout 4
  9. Ratchet & Clank
  10. Days Gone (actually the native PS5 version)
  11. Until Dawn
  12. Resident Evil 7
  13. inFAMOUS: Second Son
  14. The Last Guardian
  15. Crash Bandicoot NSane Trilogy
  16. Batman Arkham Knight
  17. Detroit Become Human
  18. Mortal Kombat X
  19. Battlefield 1
  20. Final Fantasy XV
  21. COD Black Ops III Zobmies Chronicles

Damn didn't realize how much you actually get with PS Plus on a PS5 until I typed it out. Note you'd need to get PS Plus and claim Control this month though to get it. That's pretty easily your first year of gaming on the system for $60 though. Damn seeing all that makes me think the PS5 Digital Edition and PS Plus might actually be cheaper than even buying a used PS4 and a bunch of games.

On 2/6/2021 at 7:39 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The big jump in cpu is a huge reason for load times being improved too. God PS4 and XBox One have such garbage cpus, I'm amazed what devs were able to get out of the PS4 hardware last gen.

Well, technically, CPU doesn't really matters when it comes to gaming (except simulations and racing games), so even with a CPU upgrade, you don't really see much difference on game performance, unless your CPU is bottlenecking your system, which is rare but still possible. PS4 and XBOX One has good CPU although it has a very outdated architecture built, but they proves that in most cases, CPU doesn't really matters. You can still game many recent titles on 4th Gen Core i7 processor, and I have quite some good luck running Shadow of Tomb Raider using Core 2 Duo with RTX 2070 at 720p low setting and ray tracing disabled. Still got a decent 50 fps, and yes, Core 2 Duo really bottlenecking everything.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

3 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, technically, CPU doesn't really matters when it comes to gaming (except simulations and racing games), so even with a CPU upgrade, you don't really see much difference on game performance, unless your CPU is bottlenecking your system, which is rare but still possible. PS4 and XBOX One has good CPU although it has a very outdated architecture built, but they proves that in most cases, CPU doesn't really matters. You can still game many recent titles on 4th Gen Core i7 processor, and I have quite some good luck running Shadow of Tomb Raider using Core 2 Duo with RTX 2070 at 720p low setting and ray tracing disabled. Still got a decent 50 fps, and yes, Core 2 Duo really bottlenecking everything.

4th gen i7 completely demolishes the crap cpu in the PS4 and XBox One. PS4 and XB1 have a cpu from when AMD had horrific IPC and cut the clockspeeds in half vs what was standard for PC gaming at the time. Total dogshit cpus that completely bottlenecked the PS4 Pro and XBox One X. Also cpu is massively important for loading times. 

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

4th gen i7 completely demolishes the crap cpu in the PS4 and XBox One. PS4 and XB1 have a cpu from when AMD had horrific IPC and cut the clockspeeds in half vs what was standard for PC gaming at the time. Total dogshit cpus that completely bottlenecked the PS4 Pro and XBox One X. Also cpu is massively important for loading times. 

Indeed. Jaguar architecture was designed for low powered system. However, the CPU in PS4 has been heavily tweak and tuned to Sony's specification, so the processor although has outdated architecture, still proves powerful enough to handle good workload.

The reason games load faster is because of the memory controller. CPU only matters if the games uses compression algorithm to compress their game data, and it has to be decompress in order to get the useful data to process. So, in certain cases, it helps a lot.

Still, it was considered to be a huge improvements in the processor compare to previous gen console.

If you can save money rather buy a ps5.

But do note i would suggest buy cd  version rather then digital version.

I bought xbox series S which is digital version,and it sucks when you are waiting for sales just to buy some games.

Disc version is more expensive,but you save money in the long run buying used games.

People buy all the time new games that are 60euros and sell them after month for 20-30euros.

And the jump in consoles is worth it,not just graphical thing,but loading times are god send.

If your game crashes and you need to jump right in,it loads much much faster,and you will have option to play at higher fps if you ever decide to upgrade to better monitor.

Some racing games already are playable at 60-120 fps,warzone aswell is 100+ fps,and other games,which improves your gameplay experience a bunch.

But not everyone is born with money,if you arent able to save this 100-200 dollar/euro difference its ok to buy ps4 aswell,better something then nothing