Old Corsair CX 750 vs New CV 650

Plake
37 minutes ago, Plake said:

I've seen a few commenters on national youtube videos saying that they get extremelly loud coil whine

Yes, severe whining is a known effect of pairing modern, high power GPUs with PSUs that use a double forward topology, which is another reason why you shouldn't really power your expensive components with a cheap PSU.

Honestly, if you managed to afford a 3070, I don't see why you couldn't just get something like a TX550M/650M or an RM550x/650x (just a couple examples, there are other very good options out there, of course).

The CV650 might work with the 3070, but... I'd rather be sure of it working properly than playing a lottery.

some say they smell plastic burning when it first turned on

Pretty much all brand new PSUs will have a weird smell for a little while, though that doesn't mean anything. It's almost like people saying their PSUs are overheating just because they feel too hot to the touch.

some saying it stopped working after a few months (one cited 20 months).

I mean, there have been cases of much more expensive PSUs being DOA even; things happen. Having a 0% failure rate across various different SKUs would be pretty unlikely, to say the least.

Now, whether the person whose CV650 died after 20 months was unlucky enough to have had a bad unit or whether they were using it in a way that would negatively affect its lifespan is a different question, which also most likely doesn't have a clear answer.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Honestly, if you managed to afford a 3070, I don't see why you couldn't just get something like a TX550M/650M or an RM550x/650x

I can't because of the 3070.

What happened is basically that my water cooler leaked and it fried my best GPU, a 1070, and damaged my motherboard.

I used the 1070 along a 760 to improve render time in Blender, however I couldn't get a motherboard w/ 2 PCIe slots to use my old GPU along a cheap one (and probably weaker than my 1070), which wouldn't be ideal but would suffice, so I had to overshoot, now it seems miners ate up all 20xx which I was aiming for so I had to jump to 30xx which cost me way too much.

I can't stay long without a relativelly good computer, one of the groups I work for will start this year production really soon and not having a computer means not having means of getting money which means I can't afford better parts. All I need is the PSU to preferably last a year until I can finish paying for these parts, a good GPU means less rendering time (according to my friend's calcs 3070 will render around 2/3 faster), which leads to more working time resulting in money faster which hopefully means getting a better PSU sooner.

7 hours ago, Plake said:

some saying it stopped working after a few months (one cited 20 months

How'd they manage that?  Using it to power a time machine?  The CV hasn't been on the market for 20 months (it was launched in March 2020).

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

How'd they manage that?  Using it to power a time machine?  The CV hasn't been on the market for 20 months (it was launched in March 2020).

Disregard that comment about 20 months, I'm too stupid and didn't realize Amazon agregates all reviews for all models of all years, that was for a CX750 from 2017.

Now checking some YT comments, again to be more specific, this one guy had for 4 months but replaced it, he states this (rough translation).

Buddy I'm not with this PSU (CV650) and don't recommend anymore, after upgrading from a 2060 to a 3070 when I played it started to make noise, only on high performance, it is within the recommended for the 3070 but I still decided to replace due to that, now I'm with a xpg Gold 750 modular[...]

Now that I know most of the reviews I saw *aren't* for the 650 and basing off on a bunch of comments on a video about the CV editions from last year, the biggest complain is indeed coil whine when under stress but some users state it could also be due to the house's electrical wiring.

My question is, is coil whine indicative that the PSU might bork soon? If it's only noise then I'm fine because I'll likelly not be on the room while Blender renders.

1 hour ago, Plake said:

Disregard that comment about 20 months, I'm too stupid and didn't realize Amazon agregates all reviews for all models of all years, that was for a CX750 from 2017.

Now checking some YT comments, again to be more specific, this one guy had for 4 months but replaced it, he states this (rough translation).

Now that I know most of the reviews I saw *aren't* for the 650 and basing off on a bunch of comments on a video about the CV editions from last year, the biggest complain is indeed coil whine when under stress but some users state it could also be due to the house's electrical wiring.

My question is, is coil whine indicative that the PSU might bork soon? If it's only noise then I'm fine because I'll likelly not be on the room while Blender renders.

One guy out of the 20K sold per month...

Anyhoo....

I think @Mateyyymade the best point in this thread.  If you pair a graphics card that is known for high transient spikes with a PSU that has a double forward topology, you ARE GOING TO HEAR COIL WHINE.  PERIOD. 

If you're concerned about noises coming from your PSU, you need to get something with an LLC topology.  That means something like a CX (non-M), TX-M, etc.

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

One guy out of the 20K sold per month...

Anyhoo....

I think @Mateyyymade the best point in this thread.  If you pair a graphics card that is known for high transient spikes with a PSU that has a double forward topology, you ARE GOING TO HEAR COIL WHINE.  PERIOD. 

If you're concerned about noises coming from your PSU, you need to get something with an LLC topology.  That means something like a CX (non-M), TX-M, etc.

Yah I'm not worried about noise unless it means things are about to break, I'm used to my neighbors reforming their apartments on a monthly basis, my headphone is surprisingly good at supressing that so a coil whine wont get on my nerves.

Thanks everyone, this thread has been really informing.

12 hours ago, Sakee__ said:

@jonnyGURU, does this series still use Yate Loon's sleeve bearing fans or are they rifle bearing?

"This series".  CX?   CV?  If it's one with the black on gray side label, it's either a Yate Loon or Hong Hua rifle bearing fan.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:16 PM, Gorilla Warfare said:

If it's an old CX , should be replaced. ASAP. Don't replace with a CV.

ASAP is blowing it a bit out of proportion lol. I've got two greenies, a CX430M and a CX750M, both of which have been dead reliable for something like 7-8 and almost 6 years, respectively. The CX430M has been put through the ringer too, with about 6 months of its life living with a failed fan hotboxing in an HP desktop, and then another 2 or so years with a Q6600 and GTX 480, and then a 3570K and the 480 for a few months before its retirement.

The 750M has had a bit of an easier life, starting out with a fat OC'd G3258 + 7950 and GTX 480 for a while, then just the 7950, then just the 480, and now sitting in a dual P3 build abusing that juicy 5V rail.

People really need to stop blowing it out of proportion with how they're fieRY DeAthTrapS THat wiLl kILL YoUr parEnts or whatever.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

"This series".  CX?   CV?  If it's one with the black on gray side label, it's either a Yate Loon or Hong Hua rifle bearing fan.

Oh, sorry. I was talking about CV. I found on your website that it uses sleeve bearing, does it remain the same?

2 hours ago, Sakee__ said:

Oh, sorry. I was talking about CV. I found on your website that it uses sleeve bearing, does it remain the same?

Actually... you're right.  CV is the Yate Loon sleeve.