cpu/mobo issues leading to replace/upgrade

Nbd508

Budget (including currency):  no

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: high end gaming, possible video editing, multi-monitor  with several programs at once

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So long story short I have been having ongoing issues with my pc 9900k/z390 maximus xi board which is ultimately led to where I am now. I have been given authorization from my retailed to complete an exchange/return on both components.  
That having been said here are my options.

1.  New 9900k and cash back to buy a replacement z390 elsewhere (they are out of stock) which would entail also, what board should I get: this "high end" board has been problematic
  2.  Exchange both for store credit and go to AMD platform (unsure how I feel about this since 9900k is such a great performer)
  3.  Exchange both and upgrade to the 10th gen and z490 boards which I know nothing about since this upgrade was only done in June.

Really looking for educated opinions here, I don't mind spending money for performance and quality!  I deff. don't want to buy a "top tier" board that has VRM or Memory controller issues again.
    Thanks for the help!

Keep trying to sign this stupid screen but it wont work...

if your i9 9900K isnt defective in any way, you can still look around for a z390 motherboard on amazon, newegg or just maybe, the used market

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Intel 11th gen and Z590 come out in a month fyi. But new intel platform and DDR5 pcie5 on intel 12th gen at year end.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

IMO, since you essentially got free chance to upgrade for your trouble, just go with something new. Either LGA1200 or AM4. Choice would depend on what you prefer, what is available in stock and prices (since you are limited to specific store).

In regards to intel 11th gen. I do have the option to get my money back and I still have a 7700k/z270 board at home that works just fine.  I could go back to that platform and wait it out 

19 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Intel 11th gen and Z590 come out in a month fyi. But new intel platform and DDR5 pcie5 on intel 12th gen at year end.

I have seen the 11th gen has diminishing performance to the 10th, is this true?  As for 12th gen I haven't found much info but maybe I should wait.

7 minutes ago, Archer42 said:

IMO, since you essentially got free chance to upgrade for your trouble, just go with something new. Either LGA1200 or AM4. Choice would depend on what you prefer, what is available in stock and prices (since you are limited to specific store).

I am not limited to the store, they have agreed to let me do a full refund if need be.

26 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

if your i9 9900K isnt defective in any way, you can still look around for a z390 motherboard on amazon, newegg or just maybe, the used market

Honestly it doesn't matter if it is, they're allowing me to replace both because of the trouble I've had with their customer support.

Keep trying to sign this stupid screen but it wont work...

12 minutes ago, Nbd508 said:

I am not limited to the store, they have agreed to let me do a full refund if need be

Well, then IMO the best option would be going for AMD at this point. If you do need all the cores something like 5900x/5950x is the best you can get outside of HEDT, and 11th gen is extremely unlikely to change that.