Question about PSU Prices

I am looking to replace my 7 year old PSU. My case has an unusually short PSU bay and my spare RM750x v1 does not fit with all the cables attached. I am looking to get a Seasonic Focus. However I feel the prices of these things aren't right. I knew someone bought a Focus Plus Gold on sale for $50Cdn in 2018. The platinum version was also on sale for around $80Cdn. The GX-550 today on newegg costs $110 and the PX-550 costs $125. Are these scalper prices? What do these units normally go for before the shortages? 

don't know, but some prices on a lot of products have gone up, same with PSUs. If you live in the US, added tariff might also be something? (if I'm remember right)

might go a little down when covid/production etc, has calmed down.

You can look up the product on PCPartPicker and look at the price graph, to see what the price was in the past.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I got my PSU for the normal price, its the price of a gold right now, but it's actually a platinum. 

Build:

• CPU: AMD 3700x                                           
  • Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO RGB
  • Motherboard: MSI x570 tomahawk wifi
  • Memory: Teamforce Delta RGB DDR4-3000 16 GB
  • Graphics Card: EVGA 1660 SC ULTRA
  • Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
  • PSU: Fractal Design Ion 660w
  • Case fans: Sickleflow 120 RGB (3-pack)

Nothing I say is guaranteed to be correct, please remember this. I'm still learning every day.

Feedback is appreciated!

(in other words i can say stupid stuff so double check what i say)

10 hours ago, RTXOutOfStockEdition said:

The GX-550 today on newegg costs $110 and the PX-550 costs $125. Are these scalper prices? What do these units normally go for before the shortages? 

Those don't sound like scalper prices.

And the listings say "Sold by Newegg", telling you that it's not coming from a scalper.... it's coming from Newegg.

3 hours ago, Nate. said:

I got my PSU for the normal price, its the price of a gold right now, but it's actually a platinum. 

How much did you pay for yours? In Cdn or US dollars? It's the Fractal Ion you refer to right? 

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Those don't sound like scalper prices.

And the listings say "Sold by Newegg", telling you that it's not coming from a scalper.... it's coming from Newegg.

Hey Jonny, I remember getting a G2 750W for $80 Cdn (discounted) and a RM750i for about $130Cdn (regular) a few years ago. Many people were saying the older Focus+ GX-550 was selling for $50 Cdn for a while in early 2018. The new GM-550 is on sale today's shellshocker for $85 Cdn. That's a 70% increase in price in less than 3 years. Is inflation this bad? 

What is happening to jonnyguru.com? Everything seems to be gone. What do you recommend for good PSU reviews now? 

3 minutes ago, RTXOutOfStockEdition said:

Hey Jonny, I remember getting a G2 750W for $80 Cdn (discounted) and a RM750i for about $130Cdn (regular) a few years ago. Many people were saying the older Focus+ GX-550 was selling for $50 Cdn for a while in early 2018. The new GM-550 is on sale today's shellshocker for $85 Cdn. That's a 70% increase in price in less than 3 years. Is inflation this bad? 

You can't compare "on sale" prices.  These include mail in rebates, back end rebates to the retailer, volume buys from the etailer (where they commit to an entire container at a discount then heavily promote it), bundle deals, etc.  You can't sell GX-550 at $50 and make a profit.

Right now, the market is so hot, there's not enough product, so why bother with promotional discounts cutting into your profit margin?

5 minutes ago, RTXOutOfStockEdition said:

What is happening to jonnyguru.com? Everything seems to be gone. What do you recommend for good PSU reviews now? 

No idea.  Not my site (anymore).  There hasn't been a new review on there for over two years.  

I point people to Tom's Hardware, techpowerup and Hardware Busters (all the same reviewer) now.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You can't compare "on sale" prices.  These include mail in rebates, back end rebates to the retailer, volume buys from the etailer (where they commit to an entire container at a discount then heavily promote it), bundle deals, etc.  You can't sell GX-550 at $50 and make a profit.

Right now, the market is so hot, there's not enough product, so why bother with promotional discounts cutting into your profit margin?

No idea.  Not my site (anymore).  There hasn't been a new review on there for over two years.  

I point people to Tom's Hardware, techpowerup and Hardware Busters (all the same reviewer) now.

It is hard to find PSU reviews these days and new products are not very exciting at all. I hope to see products like the Delta made Antec HCP Platinum make a come back and lower price Titanium units like the Andyson TX. There are so many interesting products in Asia we can't get here. 

4 hours ago, RTXOutOfStockEdition said:

How much did you pay for yours? In Cdn or US dollars? It's the Fractal Ion you refer to right? 

Paid $115 USD for an 80+ Platinum. 

And yes. 

Build:

• CPU: AMD 3700x                                           
  • Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO RGB
  • Motherboard: MSI x570 tomahawk wifi
  • Memory: Teamforce Delta RGB DDR4-3000 16 GB
  • Graphics Card: EVGA 1660 SC ULTRA
  • Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
  • PSU: Fractal Design Ion 660w
  • Case fans: Sickleflow 120 RGB (3-pack)

Nothing I say is guaranteed to be correct, please remember this. I'm still learning every day.

Feedback is appreciated!

(in other words i can say stupid stuff so double check what i say)