1600 af vs 3600

Celtie

Yes of course i know that the 3600 is a better chip. tho does it really fall behind that much on things like video editing,. Especially when you save that fifty bucks.

for example a system like this (used gpu)

I wouldn't do either, $150 for a 1600AF is too much. Buy an i3 10100F, it's basically a 7700k and there's basically no situation where it bottlenecks an RX 580

Just now, Aereldor said:

I wouldn't do either, $150 for a 1600AF is too much. Buy an i3 10100F, it's basically a 7700k and there's basically no situation where it bottlenecks an RX 580

what if im streaming i want the 6 cores

Your going to power all of that with 450w?

Probably not a good idea.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 minute ago, FREnCH man KId said:

what if im streaming i want the 6 cores

If you're streaming you might see more a difference getting a GTX 1650 Super, so you can use NVENC - which also has the benefit of being less CPU-intensive. And also, while a 1600 AF is 20% slower than a 3600 in something like cinebench, it's a whole lot slower in games, so I'd make the stretch if I were you.

Just now, freeagent said:

Your going to power all of that with 450w?

Probably not a good idea.

I don't know where people get this notion from... HIs total system draw power is well under 350... And that's actually a somewhat decent 450w. Nothing wrong with that

memory compatibility...3600 supports faster ram. you can grab some black gskill ripjaw 3200 cl16 and run it at 3600 easy at same price as that adata

plus 1600 you may fight to get that ram running at 3200

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

If you're streaming you might see more a difference getting a GTX 1650 Super, so you can use NVENC - which also has the benefit of being less CPU-intensive. And also, while a 1600 AF is 20% slower than a 3600 in something like cinebench, it's a whole lot slower in games, so I'd make the stretch if I were you.

and video editing??

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I don't know where people get this notion from... HIs total system draw power is well under 350... And that's actually a somewhat decent 450w. Nothing wrong with that

Ohh ok.

I just looked at the power requirements for that GPU and it said 500w. I can squeeze 350 out of mine no problem. You don't want to leave yourself too short.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Btw, I have the Mattrexx 30. It's pretty but it's a bitch and a half to build in. I've been doing tricky cable management for the better part of a decade and it was still a challenge for me to make things look decent. If you want a small case I'd get one of the Masterboxes mATX (with the PSU shroud, not the one without). Honestly even the Cougar MG130 is easier to build in, and it's also an mATX mid tower with tempered glass and similar dimensions

My go-to recommendation for an inexpensive mATX case with tempered glass and nice quality-of-life features for building is the Lian Li 205M. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

My go-to recommendation for an inexpensive mATX case with tempered glass and nice quality-of-life features for building is the Lian Li 205M. 

does it have fans

Just now, FREnCH man KId said:

does it have fans

It has a 120mm fan in the front and another in the back. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

It's more than twice the price...

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

what about the darkFlash DLM 21 mesh

5 minutes ago, FREnCH man KId said:

what about the darkFlash DLM 21 mesh

Just skipped through a video, looks good actually. PSU shroud, no grommets but nice cable cutouts, a nice fat space behind the motherboard tray to hide all the cables... And it takes six 120mm fans jesus christ. Yeah, looks good. The only thing I don't get is where the SSD goes but I would just use an m.2 SSD anyway so you don't have to worry about that.

Just make sure the GPU cooler isn't too thick, or the fans will sit too close to the PSU shroud and won't ventilate properly

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It's $60 at Micro Center if you have one near you. It's marked up a bit on Amazon right now, it's true. ~$72 is still a cheap price for a good case. I would argue it's at least twice as good as the Mattrexx 30, and Lian Li's customer support is great. 

As for the DarkFlash, I looked at those for a build once but there were way too many Amazon reviews of them showing up absolutely trashed due to poor packaging. It also doesn't come with any fans at all, lacks cable grommets, and the PCIe expansion slot covers are the cheaper "breakaway" type. 

Just now, Middcore said:

It's $60 at Micro Center if you have one near you. It's marked up a bit on Amazon right now, it's true. ~$72 is still a cheap price for a good case. I would argue it's at least twice as good as the Mattrexx 30, and Lian Li's customer support is great. 

As for the DarkFlash, I looked at those for a build once but there were way too many Amazon reviews of them showing up absolutely trashed due to poor packaging. It also doesn't come with any fans at all, lacks cable grommets, and the PCIe expansion slot covers are the cheaper "breakaway" type. 

For half the price. This guy wants to downgrade from a 3600 to a 1600AF to save $50, you really think he's going to reinvest that into case convenience and aesthetics? 

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

For half the price. This guy wants to downgrade from a 3600 to a 1600AF to save $50, you really think he's going to reinvest that into case convenience and aesthetics? 

Aesthetics is the main reason to buy a DarkFlash I'd say, since it comes in some interesting colors (or at least it used to - they appear to be gone from Amazon). I ended up going with the Thermaltake S100 over the Darkflash for my wife's build when I needed a white mATX case - sadly the white 205M didn't exist then.

If he doesn't need the performance boost of the 3600 over a 1600 AF I'd say getting a better case is a totally worthy place to invest the money, since a solid case can last you through multiple upgrade and new build cycles, and if this is his first build (as I suspect) a case that's convenient to work in matters more. 

10400F for $155 IMO

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-10400F-Desktop-Processor-Graphics/dp/B086MHSTWN

Best bargain right now for gaming 6-core. Much faster than the 1600AF at about the same price.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

10400F for $155 IMO

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-10400F-Desktop-Processor-Graphics/dp/B086MHSTWN

Best bargain right now for gaming 6-core. Much faster than the 1600AF at about the same price.

This right here, but personally I'd even go for the 10400 seeing as it's only 10ish dollars more than the f version, and it comes with an igpu. Even if you know you're never going to use it, having it as a backup is more than worth the 10 dollars or so more they're asking for it. 

That aside, the 10400(f) will match the 3600 and even beat it in some games. It is a bit slower in production type tasks, but it's still way faster than the 1600af and definitely way more deserving of your cash than the 1600af is at this price point. 

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

On 2/1/2021 at 4:38 PM, Coachdude said:

This right here, but personally I'd even go for the 10400 seeing as it's only 10ish dollars more than the f version, and it comes with an igpu. Even if you know you're never going to use it, having it as a backup is more than worth the 10 dollars or so more they're asking for it. 

That aside, the 10400(f) will match the 3600 and even beat it in some games. It is a bit slower in production type tasks, but it's still way faster than the 1600af and definitely way more deserving of your cash than the 1600af is at this price point. 

i looked on ebay and you can find the 3600 for less than 150$

1 hour ago, FREnCH man KId said:

i looked on ebay and you can find the 3600 for less than 150$

That's all well and good, but I'd personally much rather spend ~150 for a brand new in stock option than something used that I know nothing about, how it was treated, how much it was overclocked, if it has been damaged at all due to said overclocking etc. That's not to say if you see a good deal on ebay on a used part you shouldn't take it, I'm just more wary about the money I spend, and buying used is inherently more risky than buying new, especially when the two parts in question are in many aspects nearly indistinguishable in terms of overall performance.

This is of course a very YMMV type of thing, as I've bought plenty of components in the past from ebay and they've all worked fine, but when I can get an alternative for similar prices brand new, I'd personally go with the new part every single time, even if it's slightly worse in some aspects, ( Albeit arguably better in others, too ). 

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

15 hours ago, Coachdude said:

That's all well and good, but I'd personally much rather spend ~150 for a brand new in stock option than something used that I know nothing about, how it was treated, how much it was overclocked, if it has been damaged at all due to said overclocking etc. That's not to say if you see a good deal on ebay on a used part you shouldn't take it, I'm just more wary about the money I spend, and buying used is inherently more risky than buying new, especially when the two parts in question are in many aspects nearly indistinguishable in terms of overall performance.

This is of course a very YMMV type of thing, as I've bought plenty of components in the past from ebay and they've all worked fine, but when I can get an alternative for similar prices brand new, I'd personally go with the new part every single time, even if it's slightly worse in some aspects, ( Albeit arguably better in others, too ). 

Yes of course i know that there's definitely a risk but its much more expensive to find a b460 board with wifi even so yeah