Nvidia pricing... how do they come up with a price?

oderbang

So here in the UK a 3090 FE will cost you £1399 (excluding shipping) that's GBP

and in Canada  they are listed at $1999  that's CAD

and in the US they cost $1499  that's USD

If you convert everything to USD at the current exchange rate which at time of writing is 0.78 USD per CAD) and 0.79 USD per GBP

you find that:

• US pay as above $1499
  • Canada pays $1560 USD (if so they are imported through the US so maybe the slight price hike is fair?)
  • But in the UK we are paying an unbelievable $1913.88 equivalent USD 

That is a complete ripoff! and we don't have all this tariff shenanigans going on you cannot tell me that $400 more to ship to the UK, and there are no trade embargos or tarrifs that are huge that im aware of!

so what gives ? should i just order one from US and get it shipped? I don't mind waiting couple extra weeks delivery if its saving me $350 ish

I was just wondering if there is something I'm missing or are we really just getting ripped of in the UK ?

6 minutes ago, oderbang said:

But in the UK we are paying an unbelievable $1913.88 equivalent USD 

Is that including the 20% VAT in the UK? VAT would be around $300, without VAT it would be USD $1595

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, oderbang said:

should i just order one from US and get it shipped? I don't mind waiting couple extra weeks delivery if its saving me $350 ish

I was just wondering if there is something I'm missing or are we really just getting ripped of in the UK ?

Have you considered the import fees and VAT that would be added on top of your purchase from outside of the country?

I am not from the UK, but another Western European country.

If I were to order the videocard from the USA, I would need to:

- Pay the price of the product (1499 USD)

- Shipping (unknown, but likely 20-40 USD, judging by shipping fees elsewhere

- VAT (21% of the cost of the product, so 315 USD)

- Maybe some handling fees, from local authorities too.

That leaves me at 1813 USD, plus shipping and import fees (unknown amounts).

US pricing is usually without VAT, while pricing here is usually listed including VAT, so don't forget about that.

EDIT: oh and that is not even mentioning warranty.

Again, I am not from the UK, but it is so my understanding most of Europe (or at least (former) EU countries) works differently with warranty.

While in the US you contact the manufacturer, in Europe you contact the store you bought the item from. Let's say - worst case scenario - something does go wrong with your videocard.

You contact the US store, who tells you to contact the manufacturer, the local European part will likely tell you to contact the store, sending you in a loop of some kind, meaning you have to contact the US department of the manufacturer of the product to claim warranty.

That is of course something you're also doing by buying (somewhat) locally; getting warranty and support catered to your region.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

take into account that US price is before taxes. UK pricing includes VAT. 

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

UK loves its import taxes and VAT. Even if you get a buddy to build a rig in the US, you'll pay tax on the goods coming in.

~ Gaming since 1980 ~

PassMark | UserBench

TLDR yes I was missing something (US prices are exclusive of VAT)

doh! 

When you take into account US has not VAT/Sale tax added this makes a lot more sense.
Import fees are apparently  0 on items in HS code 8471 (from china)

if you add VAT to the US price of $1499 you end up with £1348.19 (in vat and duty) 

so i guess we are not getting such a bad deal after all!.. 😄