New PSU, not what I expected

Mark Kaine
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
7 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

This just means you're measuring temperature wrong, or did something else that made them heat up more, because power supplies can't do that.

I mean that's how physics work though... 

old power supply = case was always cool too touch, fan was running fast removing excess heat out of the case. 

new PSU = heats up the whole case, therefore the motherboard, ram etc, and also the case itself which now radiates heat into every direction, plus the fan is spinning at very low speed, not doing anything to remove excess heat at all = the cpu, gpu, ram, motherboard are now about at least 10C hotter... 

This psu is not suited at all for my build obviously - they didn't even think about cases that are designed differently... 

7 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Power supplies don't need to touch the computer case to work, there's nothing wrong with your build whatsoever.

yeah, I'm not keeping this psu, I'll need one with a fast spinning fan that doesn't abuse the rest of my pc as "heatsink" tyvm, but it's a fail design in my opinion. 

ps: don't get me wrong, I'm honestly grateful, because I would have never figured that out on my own... 

3 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

I have a Leadex III 550w. Can't read the rpm but position I generates a bit of airflow coming from the back of the psu. Position II increase the airflow a lot and I can hear the fan lightly.

that is what I read between the lines from reviews, the active fan curve "should" hopefully just do the trick... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

RMi

I read tech power up reviews... again (they should pay me 🤣) they say the axi cannot have a fan curve set only a fixed fan speed - I suppose that info might be not correct? 

And the rmi isn't as expensive as I thought... and pretty sure they say no inrush current protection - which I remember you or someone else said all or most corsair PSUs have? remember I was trying to figure out why my new PSU makes these weird click noises... eh, I don't really know how important that is but I think I rather have it then not lol... 

So is that info from those reviews still accurate or no? 

Also that's all nice and stuff (and in my case actually needed) but how buggy is the software really? everywhere is horror stories about those manufacturer softwares, and they also said it loses connection a lot - has this been somewhat improved? 

And you just connect it to an USB port of the motherboard I suppose? 

And fancurve is *fully* modifiable, not that it only starts at 200w or something? 

Sorry for all the questions but I really kinda need to know this, I'm sick of buying PSUs that then don't do what I want lol... 😕

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I read tech power up reviews... again (they should pay me 🤣) they say the axi cannot have a fan curve set only a fixed fan speed - I suppose that info might be not correct? 

That is incorrect.  It's not a fixed fan speed.  It's a fixed STARTING POINT.

And the rmi isn't as expensive as I thought... and pretty sure they say no inrush current protection

Also incorrect.  

Also that's all nice and stuff (and in my case actually needed) but how buggy is the software really? everywhere is horror stories about those manufacturer softwares, and they also said it loses connection a lot - has this been somewhat improved? 

I've used it on every computer I've built and I've never had a problem.  That's not to say some people don't have problems.  But it's a small percentage.  It's like the 100 people that bought a CX-M from Amazon that say it blew up when Amazon sells about 50,0000 units a month.  That kind of ratio.

And you just connect it to an USB port of the motherboard I suppose? 

And fancurve is *fully* modifiable, not that it only starts at 200w or something? 

It just plugs into any available USB header.

And you don't set a point for when it starts.  You can set that you want it to start at 40% PWM and that's it's starting point.  Then, it only ramps up as needed.  The funny thing is, it usually DOESN'T ever ramp up because you maintain that airflow through the PSU so it stays cool and the fan just spins at the same RPM all day long.

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

incorrect.  

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me either, can set fancurve for rmi, but can't for the more expensive axi... probably user or 'reviewer error'. Also I get it, mistakes are made, specifications changed, etc... And also for the layman a lot of this stuff is just very hard to understand... 

You can set that you want it to start at 40% PWM and that's it's starting point.  Then, it only ramps up as needed.  The funny thing is, it usually DOESN'T ever ramp up because you maintain that airflow through the PSU so it stays cool and the fan just spins at the same RPM all day long.

That's like my old Bequiet basically, the fan spins, but it doesn't ever really ramp up, and most of the time it's exhausting "cool" air, only under heavy load gets slightly warm... which is ideal for my 'case' obviously. 

But just to make sure I can also set it to start as low as 5% (load)?  That was actually my question that it doesn't limit me to a certain threshold... I really need that fan to spin basically all the time. 

And thanks for your answer, that cleared up a lot! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me either, can set fancurve for rmi, but can't for the more expensive axi... probably user or 'reviewer error'. Also I get it, mistakes are made, specifications changed, etc... And also for the layman a lot of this stuff is just very hard to understand... 

That's like my old Bequiet basically, the fan spins, but it doesn't ever really ramp up, and most of the time it's exhausting "cool" air, only under heavy load gets slightly warm... which is ideal for my 'case' obviously. 

But just to make sure I can also set it to start as low as 5% (load)?  That was actually my question that it doesn't limit me to a certain threshold... I really need that fan to spin basically all the time. 

And thanks for your answer, that cleared up a lot! 

Yeah. Call me an anarchist, but when I use those PSUs, I actually never use the Zero RPM mode.  My experience is, it stays quiet, and then when it get hot it goes "oh crap!  I'm hot" and the fan spins too much.  If you just have it spin at a constant rate, it never gets hot enough to need more airflow.

On 2/3/2021 at 6:31 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah. Call me an anarchist, but when I use those PSUs, I actually never use the Zero RPM mode.  My experience is, it stays quiet, and then when it get hot it goes "oh crap!  I'm hot" and the fan spins too much.  If you just have it spin at a constant rate, it never gets hot enough to need more airflow.

haha, yeah, it's the same with gpus the sooner the fans start spinning the cooler the cards stays - noticed this with all 1000er cards I had. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@jonnyGURU any idea how to set the fancurve lower than 800 rpm is it even possible?

I'm actually really happy with the this rmi but when idling technically 800rpm is "fine" but it's a little bit loud, not really loud but I hear it and I think like 600 rpm would be fine as long the PSU is under like ~35C...

But I can't get it lower than 800rpm, or "40%" since that's where the custom curve is locked apparently. 

And I'm using icue, I couldn't get corsair link to work at all (it crashes) which is honestly great outside a few bugs, and you can actually completely disable it and the PSU keeps the fan curve even after boot. 

But yeah there has to be a way to lower the curve while idling, it says 400rpm minimum !? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

@jonnyGURU any idea how to set the fancurve lower than 800 rpm is it even possible?

Wait until a new version of iCUE? The limitation is in the software, not the PSU's fan controller.  The software team has been told to allow for lower starting RPM.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Wait until a new version of iCUE? The limitation is in the software, not the PSU's fan controller.  The software team has been told to allow for lower starting RPM.

All I know is I have my AXI 1600 fan curve set to start at 960 RPM and I can't hear it at all.

And the box is sitting right next to me within 2 feet and at desktop height. 

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Oh, alright that's great news, thank you! I hope it can be done soon'ish. 😄

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Oh, alright that's great news, thank you! I hope it can be done soon'ish. 😄

Well... don't count your blessings too early.  Software/firmware isn't my circus.  The programmers aren't my monkeys.  😄 😄 😄