ZOTAC ZBOX MAGNUS One i7-10700 RTX 3070 Mini PC

Aaron_T

Anyone tried the Jonsbo HP 400 (CPU Cooler)? Seems to fit and has 4 heatpipes vs the 2 of the Noctua and Cooler Master.

7 hours ago, karsaorlong21 said:

I think case power button is broken. I'm able to jump start the motherboard

I broke the pin that connects to the case power button. Any way to start pc other than jump start / soldering the pin?

On 7/12/2021 at 6:14 AM, karsaorlong21 said:

Did you try undervolting in throttlestop/xtu? Works for me

Did you have to change any settings in the bios prior? When I use either of those applications they both appear greyed out and I'm only able to change power limits.

Hi all, thank you for all your pictures and help to change the fans. This changed everything.

The last step seems to be the PSU, the fan makes a weird noise. Does someone try to change it? 

The "Noctua NF-A4x20" has 2 sizes (10 and 20mm) and the "Power Connector Type" can have 3 or 4 pins, and it seems to need to remove every part to access it, that's demands a lot more work.

I'm having a strange behaviour on 3dmark's Timespy after change the stock cooler for a Coolermaster g200p and top fans to noctua one's.

image.thumb.png.7cfb5070ee94f0f603e64c7f3d0f15b6.png

Any ideia what might be causing those downward spikes on the Graphics Test 2?

I'm receiving a Jonsbo HB400 today so I'll end up repasting the CPU to try it out.

11 hours ago, siniux said:

I'm having a strange behaviour on 3dmark's Timespy after change the stock cooler for a Coolermaster g200p and top fans to noctua one's.

image.thumb.png.7cfb5070ee94f0f603e64c7f3d0f15b6.png

Any ideia what might be causing those downward spikes on the Graphics Test 2?

I'm receiving a Jonsbo HB400 today so I'll end up repasting the CPU to try it out.

Tried the Jonsbo HB400 but it doesn't fit with the SSD.
Looks promising though. 

The graph is missing the CPU temps

On 7/30/2021 at 2:05 AM, Evan28 said:

Did you have to change any settings in the bios prior? When I use either of those applications they both appear greyed out and I'm only able to change power limits.

Hey sorry I was wrong. Earlier I had 8750h laptop and simply swapped ssd from that laptop into magnus one without reinstalling anything. I was able to change everything in throttlestop but I don't know whether those settings were actually reflected or not. Reinstalled later and found everything is locked in throttlestop. Only option is to limit power

Is there any app that can monitor PWM fan?

I'v tried a couple but none of them show fan speed

Just to sum up what i ended up changing on my Magnus:

- Replaced the Top fans with two Noctua A9x14; had to open the holes a bit so I could use the stock screws.

- Replaced the CPU Cooler with a Cooler Master G200P - used four extra 16mm M3 screws to use the stock backplate so that I didn't have to take the motherboard out.

- Replaced the Cooler Master's fan with a Noctua A12x15; initially thought of using a A9x14 but the A12x15 fits (although there isn't much room left and the side panel isn't completely flat), and from what I tested it seems to do a better job. Aside the CPU cooling itself, the top air also seems "less warm", so I guess it does that better too.

- Upped the top percentage of fan speed for both the CPU and Case in the BIOS; Went back to 70% with the case ones because on load it does a "whine" that I disliked - ordered a filter to see if having it between the fans and the case does something to the noise.

- As I said a couple of posts back, I tried using a Jonsbo HB400 but it doesn't fit with the SSD on. It's a shame, because the heatsink seems better built that the G200P one, plus it has four heatpipes.

What mods are you using? 

Anyone knows what this part is suppose to do?

I would guess that it has something to do with separating the airflow from the cpu side with the gpu side.

As I said on the previous post, I ordered a filter for the top fans and have been trying it out; the sound was much better at top speed, but the cooling was lacking. I’ve been trying different solutions, like expanding the distance between the fans and the top of the case, but what seems to have done the trick is removing this part all together. I’ll do a timespy run tomorrow, but at least the sound seems better: I still have the “whine”, but now the sound of the air going through the fans is more noticeable than it. Which is good.

0217FC19-3E53-4A6F-B0A6-034D5AF9BD11.jpeg

Is it possible to transfer the board and the rest to some ITX case? 

On 8/4/2021 at 9:13 PM, siniux said:

- Replaced the Cooler Master's fan with a Noctua A12x15; initially thought of using a A9x14 but the A12x15 fits (although there isn't much room left and the side panel isn't completely flat), and from what I tested it seems to do a better job. Aside the CPU cooling itself, the top air also seems "less warm", so I guess it does that better too.

Can you tell or show how you fitted the noctua to the cooling blok?

I have orderd the parts from you post, but can not fit the 120mm fan.

after those suggested tweaks I’m going to try and under volt the cpu with Intell utx.

2 hours ago, ElioVDS said:

Can you tell or show how you fitted the noctua to the cooling blok?

I have orderd the parts from you post, but can not fit the 120mm fan.

after those suggested tweaks I’m going to try and under volt the cpu with Intell utx.

One screw on the top right, the rest is stuck in place with the side panel.

62C377B7-E340-429B-8A63-C578A607815B.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a list of my awesome Zotac mods here:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/zotac-magnus-one-mods.16827/

One thing you can do in the BIOS to reduce CPU load is disable some of the cores. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet! It is a shame that the system doesn't support the new 11th gen CPU cores from Intel though, maybe the only real ding on the system.

I installed the Noctua NH-L9i today without voiding the warranty, i.e. without removing the motherboard. Just unscrew the top screws from the motherboard, then gently bend the motherboard, turn the computer upside down, and the backplate falls out by itself. I'm waiting for two more Noctua fans upstairs. Has anyone replaced the fan in the power supply?

My backplate was stuck on by very strong double sided tape. Either Zotac forgot to put it on yours or its refurbished.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:49 AM, LukeD_NC said:

My backplate was stuck on by very strong double sided tape. Either Zotac forgot to put it on yours or its refurbished.

Mine had glue too, but I pried it off with a plastic salad spoon on each side and then it fell out. I struggled with it for 20 minutes, but it worked.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello there all Magnus One owners

I'm here to ask a question about the Bluetooth reception/coverage. Because I have an RJ45 connected to my PC I don't use my wifi antenas.

My question is: are one of the two antennas responsible for Bluetooth range? Because without them My PS4 controller looses the signal even behind 1m from the PC.

Can someone answer this? 

On 9/23/2021 at 11:48 AM, radekksk said:

Hello there all Magnus One owners

I'm here to ask a question about the Bluetooth reception/coverage. Because I have an RJ45 connected to my PC I don't use my wifi antenas.

My question is: are one of the two antennas responsible for Bluetooth range? Because without them My PS4 controller looses the signal even behind 1m from the PC.

Can someone answer this? 

Nearly all wifi modules are combination wifi+blue tooth and the antennas are dual purpose for both the wifi and the bluetooth. As you've found out the antennas are not strictly necessary but they do boost the reception range for all frequencies they are responsible for.

If space is an issue you may be able to get a set of stubby antennas instead of using the ones that come with the PC: https://www.amazon.com/Omnidirectional-Bluetooth-Directional-Lightweight-Waterproof/dp/B08X45Q44Z/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=stubby+wifi+antenna&qid=1632511665&sr=8-4

Hi everyone!

First of all, kudos to you for effort.

And I want to share something:

1) intel 11th support is not planned as I understand:

Spoiler

ztc_mail.png.0d16c9d40d193168ce27af7d15fd1be7.png

2) dirty hack:

enjoying some game I noticed poor cpu performance(throttling), the reason was gpu overheating cpu(even with 3 noctuas) through its vent holes

Spoiler

ztc_gpu.thumb.png.67a27e6a2834d359b1613155cdb9860d.png

What I did is simply covered them with insulating tape which fixed that issue for me. gpu temp itself didn't change, but hot air no longer goes from gpu to other side, but is pulled through the top as intended.

I've tried patching in 11th Gen CPU support into the BIOS in more than one way, but wasn't able to get it to work. There may be other things at play here and unfortunately I dont have time to play around with it. Hopefully if they release the bios for the 2nd generation of this mini PC we'll be able to lift it and add it to the current 10th gen system. (provided they use the same south bridge). Although If I had to guess I think they'll go straight to 12th gen support for the 2nd generation of this system.

Did someone tried to change stoked 10700 to 10900? Does BIOS support it?

I know about TDP limitation, but I'm ready to lower i9 power limit to use all 10 cores or use 10900T.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:05 PM, Houl said:

Did someone tried to change stoked 10700 to 10900? Does BIOS support it?

I know about TDP limitation, but I'm ready to lower i9 power limit to use all 10 cores or use 10900T.

Since 10900 is still 10th gen intel, bios support isn't an issue. A 10900 cpu should post and run just fine, however, you will be severely thermal throttled with that CPU in this system. A 10700 CPU is already thermal throttled and can only take advantage of a few seconds of max turbo boost. 10900T maybe help, but at that point I'm not sure you'd be getting any more performance out of the extra 2 cores VS the 10700 that comes with the unit.