ZOTAC ZBOX MAGNUS One i7-10700 RTX 3070 Mini PC

Aaron_T
11 hours ago, AaronThomas said:

Since 10900 is still 10th gen intel, bios support isn't an issue. A 10900 cpu should post and run just fine, however, you will be severely thermal throttled with that CPU in this system. A 10700 CPU is already thermal throttled and can only take advantage of a few seconds of max turbo boost. 10900T maybe help, but at that point I'm not sure you'd be getting any more performance out of the extra 2 cores VS the 10700 that comes with the unit.

My case is VMs only 🙂

Also has next question.

Did someone tried to use mounting screws from noctua am4 adapter for Noctua NH-L9i? I think their length should be enough to leave backplate at place.

Hello, I'm tempting of getting one. What max GPU length can this handle ?

On 10/6/2021 at 7:36 AM, ryan.nhn said:

Hello, I'm tempting of getting one. What max GPU length can this handle ?

240mm will work, but the card must also be "slim", not much more than 2 slots.  

hi

does anyone know if i can use https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-FC1-4-pin-PWM-Controller/dp/B072M2HKSN to throttle the CPU fan?

i disabled turbo mode for the cpu, and temps are very nice. donwclocking the cpu to 2.2ghz makes it theoretically possible to turn off the cpu fan for browsing or at least reduce the fan speed considerably.

overall the magnus one offers great performance in a little package. the downside is the cpu fan could be a bit quiter when idling and i also have a very pronounced coil whine when playing games.. vsync and limiting frames is ok, but its always there when gaming. headphones are a must 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Zotac One User's and modder's

I'm actually looking to change the CPU Fan of my Zotac Magnus One because of "Heavy Breathing" noise 😋

I read this thread carefully and I come with some questions:

1) For Jonsbo Fan HP-400 90mm : Would it fit with the original back-plate (without warranty void)? Maybe @siniux could answer...

2) If I go for G200P + NF-A12x15 120mm fan, do you think this 92 mm to 120 mm plate will fit in between? https://www.etsy.com/listing/754161314/

Thanks in advance for your answers

• 2 weeks later...

I added the noctua NHL9-i to my Magus One. And started to hear some coil noise because it does not use any back-plate and I guess it was bending a little bit the motherboard.

One day wanted to start anymore and I returned to use the build in one but i didn't remembered how much noise that one does!. Was driving me crazy.

Then I bought the thermalright axp90-36 that worked perfectly because you can use the original back-plate or the one in the box.

Now i have similar performance to the NHL9-I same noise level and without the coil noise.

IMG_20211104_213845.jpg

Desktop Screenshot 2021.11.04 - 23.48.42.80.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.11.05 - 00.02.22.22.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.11.05 - 00.02.29.07.png

photo_2021-11-05_12-57-34 (3).jpg

photo_2021-11-05_12-57-34 (2).jpg

photo_2021-11-05_12-57-34.jpg

16 hours ago, highercomve said:

I added the noctua NHL9-i to my Magus One. And started to hear some coil noise because it does use the back-plate and I guess it was bending a little bit the motherboard.

One day wanted to start anymore and I returned to use the build in one but i didn't remembered how much noise that one does!. Was driving me crazy.

Then I bought the thermalright axp90-36 that worked perfectly because you can use the original back-plate or the one in the box.

Now i have similar performance to the NHL9-I same noise level and without the coil noise.

IMG_20211104_213845.jpg

Hi @highercomve

Thanks for your feedback 👍

I'll try to go on with your solution using thermalright axp90-36 with the official back-plate. I prefer to keep the waranty. i'll keep you update 👾

Does Thermalrihgt help with CPU throttling? Are noise levels manageable now?

Thinking of switching my desktop to this small beauty mainly because of package price (1070+3070) but I hate noise 🙂

Thanx!

17 hours ago, Caledor said:

Does Thermalrihgt help with CPU throttling? Are noise levels manageable now?

Thinking of switching my desktop to this small beauty mainly because of package price (1070+3070) but I hate noise 🙂

Thanx!

If you hate noise, don't buy this.

I love the small size and the 3070 is really awesome, but the noise is really loud.

I've changed the fans from the CPU and from the case, but it's not quiet at all.

I think I may buy a bigger case with a new PSU (the main PSU have allot of coil noise), a new motherboard (we have a non standard motherboard) and bigger fans.

On 11/7/2021 at 8:02 AM, jerjako said:

If you hate noise, don't buy this.

I love the small size and the 3070 is really awesome, but the noise is really loud.

I've changed the fans from the CPU and from the case, but it's not quiet at all.

I think I may buy a bigger case with a new PSU (the main PSU have allot of coil noise), a new motherboard (we have a non standard motherboard) and bigger fans.

With the new fans it sounds less like 52-54 Db the general system, i don't have any coil noise from the PSU (maybe because i have undervolted the GPU)

I have a 115W limit on the cpu because is imposible to do the full 200w of the cpu with this thermal solution.

But i really like the size of the device and now the sound is not horrible it doesn't bother me.

Replaced the stock heatsink with Thermalright AXP90-X36 black and it fits perfectly to my Magnus One, it's really quiet and I absolutely like it.

However, with this quiet fan, I start hearing the loud coil whine sound in PSU when I go to a heavy game. It's exactly the sound from PSU because the sound stops immediately when pressing "Start" key to get out of the game + GPU does not eat too much power. So, when it was with stock fan, the louder noise comes from the fan and I was not aware of the coil whine noise. Somebody said this was the vibration hitting the bottom case and they can get rid of that sound by touching the PSU cables beneath the GPU and luckily they resolved the issue. But it did not work for me. I tried to open the bottom case in order to check the cables but looks like it's not easy. Appreciate if anybody has tried it and can show me how to open it.

magnus-one-thermalright-heatsink.jpeg

I'm testing something inspired by Noctua na-fd1 https://noctua.at/en/na-fd1.

Is not the same but i wanted to test if it makes any difference and it did not change almost anything 🙂  (today is warmer that my last image)

photo_2021-11-11_17-25-16.jpg

photo_2021-11-11_16-41-47.jpg

21 hours ago, Vince Tran said:

Replaced the stock heatsink with Thermalright AXP90-X36 black and it fits perfectly to my Magnus One, it's really quiet and I absolutely like it.

However, with this quiet fan, I start hearing the loud coil whine sound in PSU when I go to a heavy game. It's exactly the sound from PSU because the sound stops immediately when pressing "Start" key to get out of the game + GPU does not eat too much power. So, when it was with stock fan, the louder noise comes from the fan and I was not aware of the coil whine noise. Somebody said this was the vibration hitting the bottom case and they can get rid of that sound by touching the PSU cables beneath the GPU and luckily they resolved the issue. But it did not work for me. I tried to open the bottom case in order to check the cables but looks like it's not easy. Appreciate if anybody has tried it and can show me how to open it.

magnus-one-thermalright-heatsink.jpeg

Try undervolting the GPU my gpu consumption doesn't past from 198watts. And with that I don't get any coil sound neither power limit on the GPU and the GPU clock is stable on 1950MHz

Screenshot 2021-11-12 001940.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry maybe stupid question 😛

I have one question regarding top 2x fan in the shell of Magnus one - how I can enable to work?

Thanks for feedback !

5 hours ago, pwip said:

Hi All,

Sorry maybe stupid question 😛

I have one question regarding top 2x fan in the shell of Magnus one - how I can enable to work?

Thanks for feedback !

They should be enable by default and they are controlled by the temperature of the cpu.

You could check on the bios inside the Health tab for the configuration of those two fans. You can adjust the speed depending of the temperature.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:31 AM, highercomve said:

I added the noctua NHL9-i to my Magus One. And started to hear some coil noise because it does not use any back-plate and I guess it was bending a little bit the motherboard.

IMG_20211104_213845.jpg

thank you for ur solution. i will try to do it 🙂

Hi All,

At first @highercomve thanks for the information.

The second question - I'm trying replace stock fan with CPU NOCTUA NH-L9i Intel Low Profile - can You someone guide me how remove the motherboard from box? I've tried but not successful seams is stack in the slot or there are additional screws where I can't see it...

Will be grateful for some tutorial how easiest way to exchange it. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

I just replaced the stock cooler with the thermalright AXP90-X36. That combo is great, supersilent for office work. Games run superfine at 2K, temps are around 56C CPU and 78°C GPU. I limited the CPU frequency to 2800Mhz max.

• 2 weeks later...

New investigations about Zotac:

1) 10900 works well

2) Noctua cooler perfectly compatible with Thermalright Universal Backplate

3) Thermalright X36 is good to but for 10900 Noctua slightly better (need additional testing)

4) By default LGA 1200 backplate (which under default cooler backplate) could be bend. (Noted that after installation Noctua with default mounts. Faster motherboard will be broken than Noctua bends LGA 1200 backplate). And because of that strong tention will help to receive higher temperatures than medium or weak tention.

5) Noted next strange thing. I have Logitech g305 and with installed Logitech Unified Receiver in 3rd USB Port (second row, first port from left) I receive display blinking via HDMI (I'm using PC without dedicated GPU). With other things in this USB port all are ok.

I did a thing.

Designed and 3D printed a radiator mount for the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm. It doesn't need anything apart from a single fan header, so it was essentially made for the Magnus One. I will be releasing the STLs (printable) and the STEP (editable) files shortly. Will share it here once uploaded.

The best part is that it requires no fiddling with the backplate or basically anything that might void the warranty.

Edit: Download the STL files from here. STEP files for those who want to modify the design will take a bit longer.

Zotac Zbox Magnus One Liquid Cooling Mod 01.jpg

IMG_20220112_145335.jpg

IMG_20220112_145447.jpg

IMG_20220112_150624.jpg

IMG_20220112_153019.jpg

Edited by 3dpnerd
Added download link.

On 12/28/2021 at 3:28 PM, DJ16 said:

I just replaced the stock cooler with the thermalright AXP90-X36. That combo is great, supersilent for office work. Games run superfine at 2K, temps are around 56C CPU and 78°C GPU. I limited the CPU frequency to 2800Mhz max.

The noise from the Zotac One is driving my son insane. I have the AXP90-X36 on order but can someone tell me how to limit the CPU frequency? I'm guessing its a BIOS setting but would really appreciate the advice. I see the above reference to limit CPU frequency to 2800Mhz and another reference to 115W limit of the CPU. If someone can help me out please because my son is driving me nuts!

7 hours ago, Logan_x50 said:

The noise from the Zotac One is driving my son insane. I have the AXP90-X36 on order but can someone tell me how to limit the CPU frequency? I'm guessing its a BIOS setting but would really appreciate the advice. I see the above reference to limit CPU frequency to 2800Mhz and another reference to 115W limit of the CPU. If someone can help me out please because my son is driving me nuts!

You can go to windows power management setup. There should be an option for cpu minimum and maximum frequency. I set both to 100%, that keeps the speed at stock max of i think 2800mhz. I turn turbo mode off either in the same power management panel or in bios. If you do not see these options in power management you need to apply a small registry hack (google it). 
most important is to turn off turbo, beacause that turns up the cpu fan and cpu turbo to max power ( i think 4ghz) as soon as you open outlook or excel. By limiting the mhz you get a nice quiet system, steady frame rates in games

12 minutes ago, DJ16 said:

You can go to windows power management setup. There should be an option for cpu minimum and maximum frequency. I set both to 100%, that keeps the speed at stock max of i think 2800mhz. I turn turbo mode off either in the same power management panel or in bios. If you do not see these options in power management you need to apply a small registry hack (google it). 
most important is to turn off turbo, beacause that turns up the cpu fan and cpu turbo to max power ( i think 4ghz) as soon as you open outlook or excel. By limiting the mhz you get a nice quiet system, steady frame rates in games

Thank you. will try that now 🙂

Had a bit of a play. There was no option to disable turbo boost in power management so I need to Google that. However, setting max cpu to 99% meant turbo does not kick in because I think it must only kick in at 100%. It definitely made a huge difference to fan noise.

However, after re-booting the pc the max power was back to 100% and whoosh! I need to check out how to create custom power plan I think

Can you explain why changing minimum from default 5% is a good idea?

GPU fan noise still seems pretty harsh on starting a game.

Any advice on GPU Settings in e.g. FireStorm?